LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Updated INTEL RAID/AHCI Drivers & Storage Console v8.2.3.1001

®®®

Intel has released a new version of their RAID & AHCI (SATA) controller drivers for all 32bit and 64bit versions and all flavours of Windows XP, Server 2003 and VISTA. There's a lot of confusion about this product (even amongst technicians), so here's a quick summary of it's features.

This is also known as the Intel Matrix Storage Manager:

This product name has evolved over time. Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition, Intel® Application Accelerator 4.x, Intel Matrix Storage Technology software, and Intel Matrix Storage Manager all refer to different versions of the same product. Intel® Matrix Storage Manager is the name of the current version.

On specific desktop and mobile platforms (listed below) the Intel Matrix Storage Manager provides software support for high-performance Serial ATA RAID 0 arrays, fault-tolerant Serial ATA RAID 1 arrays, Intel Rapid Recover Technology (spare disk), AHCI Native Command Queuing for increased performance, matrix RAID for two RAID volumes on a single array, and an improved user interface for enhanced usability.

Intel Matrix Storage Manager is the software that enables Intel Matrix Storage Technology.

High capacity and fault-tolerant Serial ATA RAID 5 arrays and high performance and fault-tolerant Serial ATA RAID 10 arrays are supported on specific desktop platforms only.

The Intel Matrix Storage Manager supports the following Intel chipsets:

Intel® X38 Express Chipset
Intel® Q33 Express Chipset 
Intel® Q35 Express Chipset 
Intel® G31 Express Chipset 
Intel® G33 Express Chipset 
Intel® G35 Express Chipset 
Intel® P31 Express Chipset 
Intel® P35 Express Chipset 
Mobile Intel® GM965 Express Chipset 
Mobile Intel® PM965 Express Chipset 
Intel® G965 Express Chipset 
Intel® P965 Express Chipset 
Intel® Q963 Express Chipset 
Intel® Q965 Express Chipset 
Intel® 5000P Chipset 
Intel® 5000V Chipset 
Intel® 5000X Chipset 
Intel® 975X Express Chipset 
Intel® 955X Express Chipset 
Intel® 945 Express Chipset family 
Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset family 
Intel® E7230 Chipset 
Mobile Intel® 915 Express Chipset family 
Mobile Intel® 910GML Express Chipset

These chipsets must provide the following I/O controller hubs in order for the driver and software to work:

Intel® 82801IR/IO controller hub (ICH9R/DO) - RAID and AHCI

Intel® 82801HEM I/O controller hub (ICH8M-E) - RAID and AHCI

Intel® 82801HBM I/O controller hub (ICH8M) - AHCI only

Intel® 82801HR/HH/HO I/O controller hub (ICH8R/DH/DO) - RAID and AHCI

Intel® 631xESB/632xESB I/O controller hub - RAID and AHCI

Intel® 82801GHM I/O controller hub (ICH7MDH) - RAID only

Intel® 82801GBM I/O controller hub (ICH7M) - AHCI only

Intel® 82801GR/GH I/O controller hub (ICH7R/DH) - RAID and AHCI

Intel® 82801FBM I/O controller hub (ICH6M) - AHCI only

The old version v8.2.0.1001 had a heap of known issues listed in the release notes. They might have been fixed with the updated version, but unfortunately INTEL hasn't released a changelog yet.

DOWNLOAD

Direct download of the ~22MB MultiLanguage installer is HERE.

For those in need of the F6 Floppy/USB driver installation package (for Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Home Server) head over HERE.

i couldn't install the driver, it says that a dont have the system required.

how do i use this F6 Floppy method???

i read the "read me" but didn't understand. lol

:)

If you are not using AHCI or Intel Turbo Memory (Robson) or RAID these won't do anything for you.

The floppy F6 installer is what you use to install a new version of windows or something on a RAID volume. If you already have windows installed you would only need the utility to monitor the RAID, and if it works there is no reason to update to a possibly buggy new version.

The larger install is the windows utility, and most of the time you will just use it to monitor the RAID, and rebuild/migrate it if necessary. (or possible at all)

My clevo has the 82801HR/HH/HO RAID and AHCI if anyone is curious. Maybe someday I will be able to use all 6 ports if they put 3 external ones on it.

does this intel raid thing apply for geforce gpus?

after installing this software/drivers, my Intel Turbo Memory software has disappeared... :)

my Robson is now disabled? :)

Cyclone, the news here is usually not just about nVidia and graphics cards, but about laptops in general. This relates to laptops because quite a few people (including myself) have laptops based on the Intel Santa Rosa architecture, which has the option of using AHCI, for which these drivers are required.

Jaaccus, have you tried reinstalling the Robson software?

yeah i know :) :)

i reinstalled it, i downloaded drivers from Intel webpage, but with Turbo Memory software the old Matrix Storage 7.8.0.1012 drivers installed

even after it Robson didn't work. i couldn't turn it on in Turbo Memory Console

i checked box in Turbo Memory Console, but after restart it was clear... (the checkbox next to ReadyBoost) :)