LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Gateway NX860XL

slandrew

I currently have a 7900GS Go with 256MB of VRAM. I know that my laptop is MXM III, but I am wondering if there is an 8x00 card or really anything better than the 7900GS that would actually work was an upgrade. And if there is, are there any for sale?

Thanks,

slandrew

I wish there was. The only other card I have ever read about working in a NX860 (other than the 7600) was an ATI 1900 and for the money its not worth trying IMHO. The MXM standard isn?t all its cracked up to be. Maybe someday we will be able to drop a next generation GPU in our laptops but for now that option is very rare.

I wish there was. The only other card I have ever read about working in a NX860 (other than the 7600) was an ATI 1900 and for the money its not worth trying IMHO. The MXM standard isn’t all its cracked up to be. Maybe someday we will be able to drop a next generation GPU in our laptops but for now that option is very rare.

Oh ok, I just read that the 8800M has the type III MXM, but are they not comparable or has anyone tried?

Ok so I was soing some more reading and I see that the 8800M GTS and 8800M GTX are MXM III also. I would love to get my hands on one of those cards or if someone had one of those cards and my computer could they test it out for me?

Oh ok, I just read that the 8800M has the type III MXM, but are they not comparable or has anyone tried?

MXM compatibility is more complicated than I can personally explain in detail. Check out mxm-upgrade.com and topics in this forum.. they have the most info on it that I have ever seen anywhere. It seems what should work most times just doesn?t.

i wouldnt upgrade if i were you, its a bit of a hassle

MXM compatibility is more complicated than I can personally explain in detail. Check out mxm-upgrade.com and topics in this forum.. they have the most info on it that I have ever seen anywhere. It seems what should work most times just doesn’t.

From the little reading I've done, its pretty much trial and error unless that exact card is available for your exact laptop.

That sums it up well and gateway isn?t going to release an 8 series card for our nx860 when we should just buy a new gateway P series FX notebook now are they. MXM is wonderful in theory but in practice it sucks because OEM notebook makers don?t adopt the standard completely when designing a notebook and deviate just enough to screw things up. Sometimes changing allot. I pat nvidia on the back though. I hope they don?t ever give up on the idea. I'm sure that if ati and nvidia video card venders only had to make a single standardized card for each mxm type that would work in any OEM notebook with the same MXM slot we would all be happy as a pig in poop. It's my opinion that its either not in the notebook manufacturers best interest to do this or its just to much trouble for them to do so when designing a new notebook.. Both being very lame reasons.

<jumps on soap box>

<shakes fist>

Support the standardization of mobile graphics cards!

It?s in your best interest. Encourage your notebook manufacture to jump the hurdles needed to make this happen because I just don?t see them doing it until the demand is great enough. If the problem is that the standard is too limiting for ATI or notebook manufacturers then maybe the MXM standard should be overhauled with all those notebook and graphics chip makers getting involved. I would rather see them start over then to see it never happen at all. If the problem is that its not in their best interest then we need to make it so by not buying what?s good for them and buying what?s good for us. What?s good for us is a standardized mobile GPU solution that any graphics card vender could sell cards for. It?s not like asking them to change all of mobile computing as we know it. It?s only asking them to change from proprietary mobile graphics card hell to standardized heaven.

<steps off soap box>

Yes.. I had a little fun with this post but just think about it people. If there is no demand for this kind of thing it will never happen. Be aware, make aware and express a demand for what you want.