LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Laptop RAM Frequency

slandrew

I have a Gateway NX860XL. It came standard with DDR667, and I'm going to upgrade my memory to DDR800 modules. I'm fairly sure I will have to manually change the Frequency of the RAM in Bios, but Bios doens't even have the option to do this, nor does it say the frequency of the ram. I'm assuming this is a safeguard for morons who dont know what anything in BIOS means, but is there a workaround for this?

Thanks,

slandrew

No workaround needed on your side. The RAM modules will handle it and downclock to 667 automatically. If the mobo/chipset will support 800 Mhz the modules will run at 800 MHz though.

Thanks for the reply.

Ok so if they can they will, and if they can't, theres nothing I can do to change that?

Correct, but chances are they will work.

KK Thanks guys

you could try dxdiag... not sure if that can help

dxdiag not only allows you to not change anything, but doesn't even give you details on ram.

Think before posting utter Spam.

I personally upgraded ddr2-667's to 2 2GB ddr2-800's. No workaround. Simple plug and play =) And by the way, cyclone posts utter spam for post count to increase.

I personally upgraded ddr2-667's to 2 2GB ddr2-800's. No workaround. Simple plug and play =) And by the way, cyclone posts utter spam for post count to increase.
dxdiag not only allows you to not change anything, but doesn't even give you details on ram.

Think before posting utter Spam.

A bit touchy hey "sport"... surely not!! :)

BTW: The chipset on the gateway NX860XL is the Intel 945PM, which supports 667mhs fsb, CPU's and Memory.

http://www.intel.com/Products/Notebook/Chi...PM-overview.htm

This means that the 800mhz RAM will downclock to 667mhz.

Hope this helps

Edited by Vern

It does, thanks a lot guys.

My way of chcekcing RAM timings and Chipset timings is using CPU-Z in conjunction with EVEREST.