LaptopVideo2Go Forums

5105-S702 Recovery CD Wrong Machine Error Message

AlanCB

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this, but I came across this website, & in particular this forum, when googling for "Wrong Machine error message", and it seemed to be a good forum for getting answers to some of my questions.

Before asking any questions, here's some background to my problem.

I have a Toshiba Satellite 5105-S702, and 2 years ago had the motherboard replaced by a motherboard for the equivalent European model 5100-603. I recently decided to reinstall Win XP Pro from the Toshiba Recovery CDs supplied with the laptop. However, when I booted the laptop with the 1st recovery CD in the DVD/CD Drive, a "Wrong Machine" Error came up, which I have been advised might be due to an incorrect DMI on the new motherboard, although I have also noticed that there is a scratch across the 1st Recovery CD, which I have also been advised might conceivably be the cause of the "Wrong Machine" error message.

At this stage I gave up on using the Recovery CD, and instead installed a retail version of Win XP Pro SP1, upgraded it to Win XP Pro SP3, and then repartitioned the hard drive into 4 partitions using Acronis Disk Director :

C: Win XP Pro

D: Applications

E: Data&Downloads

F: Temporay Backup & Software copies

I have restored all my folders & files to partitions E: & F:, and installed about 10 applications on C:, but none on D:, which I'll probably just keep as free space for allocation to the other partitions according to demand.

I then realised that I have a Toshiba OEM Lotus SmartSuite CD, which I cannot install unless I install Win XP Pro from the Recovery CD, and therefore I decided to try to rectify, or circumvent the "Wrong Machine" error message.

I have therefore decided on the following steps:

1. Obtain a replacement Recovery CD from Toshiba USA to eliminate any possibility that the scratch on the current Recovery CD #1 is the cause of the "Wrong Machine" error message, &/or that it might cause corruption of some of the Win XP Pro files during installation

2. Use the DMI Utility for the 5105-S702 downloaded from the Toshiba USA website to update the DMI info stored on the new motherboard.

Question: What are the exact steps involved in using the DMI Utilty, and the information that I would have to enter ?

3. As an alternative to # 2, I could use the "Alternative way to get rid of the Wrong Machine error message", originally posted on this website courtesy "Guest Christian" (2006-05-16), and as updated by Guest_Dave (Jun8 2006, 10 PM) which is, Quote :

1. Pop in the CD.

2. Press F12 immediately upon seeing the Toshiba logo.

3. Select the CD to boot to CD.

4. It will prompt you to continue or quit, press F1 to continue.

5. It will give you the "Wrong Machine" error.

6. Type Q: at the DOS prompt to change to the Q: drive (a RAM drive setup by batch file).

7. Type cd\base to change to the base directory.

8. Type os (or os.bat) and press Enter. This will start ghosting the image to the computer.

9. When it is done with disc 1 it will prompt for disc 2 and then disc 3.

10. When it is done, eject the disk and press the key it says to continue.

11. It should reboot into the setup for XP.

- End Quote

Questions:

1. Must I / should I reformat the C: partition before starting the ghosting process, or is the C: partition automatically formatted when the ghosting process is initiated ?

If I have to reformat the C: partition, what method should I use ?

2. Does the ghosting process initiated by "os.bat" effectivley restore/install Win XP Pro to the C: partition without formatting the whole of the hard drive, and thereby wiping out partitions D: E: & F: ?

I really do not want to have to go through again the whole repartitioning process and restoration of folders and files to partitions E: & F: , if it can be avoided.

3. Am I correct in assuming that disk 2 & disk 3 contain all the Toshiba drivers and utilities ?

Are there any that would require updating ?

Do these disks contain any other 3rd party applications ?

4. Is the Lotus SmartSuite installation initiated during the setup process, or do you just pop-in the Lotus SmartSuite CD on completion of the setup process ?

Thank you for any advice/answers/help you can provide.

AlanCB

Great first post :) Welcome to the forums humble 5x0x user.

First things first dont use the recovery CDs as they wipe everything.

Here are some answers anyways.

1. You don#t need to format the C partition or any other partition as the Recovery CD will delete the partition table. Basically it quick formats the drive, which means all data and partition layout is gone. Don#t quote me on that, it' s a long time ago since i played around with the RecoveryCD, but generally all Recovery CDs will wipe everything on the drive.

2. see 1. (it will wipe your D E F partitions)

3. not neccessarily. The drivers and application are all included already in the RecoveryCD, which reinstates the original factory setting (software related) of the laptop. It will be totally outdated as well (SP2, SP3 and everything is missing).

4. :)

I then realised that I have a Toshiba OEM Lotus SmartSuite CD, which I cannot install unless I install Win XP Pro from the Recovery CD, and therefore I decided to try to rectify, or circumvent the "Wrong Machine" error message.
That's just bad luck then. It probalby looks for the OEM Prodcut key of the orignal toshiba XP installation. There might a possibility to get it running though by using an OEM copy of XP Home (i guess that was your orignal XP version which came with the laptop) use the XP Product key on the bottom of the laptop. If you're really into it just ask.
3. As an alternative to # 2, I could use the "Alternative way to get rid of the Wrong Machine error message", originally posted on this website courtesy "Guest Christian" (2006-05-16), and as updated by Guest_Dave (Jun8 2006, 10 PM) which is
right! just follow the directions and it should work. ive never tired it , but others had success.

Btw this is the correct forum... but there is more info in the dedicated 5x0x thread: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6567

RRR

Apologies for not replying sooner. Thank you very much for your welcome, and your reply to my questions - much appreciated.

I had hoped that by now that I would have received more replies from other forum members, answering all the questions - maybe I should have posted it to the dedicated 5x0x thread http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6567 that you have indicated

Yes, I know that then when used in the normal manner, the Recovery CDs will wipe everything off the hard drive, and since I have my hard drive partitioned into 4 partitions, with gigabytes of files on on the E: & F:, it's the last thing I would want to do. That is why I am interested in using the alternative os.bat method, which I had hoped would ghost (copy?) the Win XP image to the C: partition, without wiping out all the other partitions.

However, you seem to be saying that that the alternative os.bat method would delete the partition table, resulting in the loss of the partitions, and quickformat the hard drive, resulting in the loss of all data. Are you sure about this ?

The reason I ask, is that since iniating this thread, I have located an old forum thread in a txt file on my laptop, which I had posted on this topic on the old, & now discontinued, Toshiba USA-related Compuserve forum way back in Aug 2002. I have googled for it on the web, but cannot locate it, and therefore I'm going to copy and paste the 4 relevant parts of it below :

Post # 1. Topic: S702 XP Pro Reinstall Msg #1342467

To: Brad Wilson [received] 1 reply

I came across the information given below, when searching the web to find out whether the Recovery CDs supplied with the Satellite 5105-S702/WinXP Pro can be used to reinstall WinXP Pro on a multi-partitioned Hard Disk, without Reformatting the whole Hard Disk, and consequently destroying the partitions and wiping out all the data files etc.

Quote :

"Ben Lynn's Toshiba Satellite 5005-S504 Notes - Recovery CDs ....The batch file OS.BAT in the /BASE directory can be run to install Windows XP on the first partition. This is preferred as it overwrites the first partition only (it doesn't format the hard disk); if the install XP option is selected from the menu after booting from CD, the whole hard disk will be wiped and reformatted as a single partition." - end quote.

Question : Does this also apply to the Satellite 5105-S702/WinXP Pro ?

I intend to create several partitions on the Hard Disk for various purposes, and would obviously like to be able to reinstall WinXP Pro (& for that matter all the other preinstalled software) if the need arises, without reformatting the whole Hard Disk, destroying the partitions,and wiping out all the data files, downloads and installed applications.

........snip, snip

Thank you,

Alan C. Brown

--------------------------- >

Post # 2. Topic: S702 XP Pro Reinstall Msg #1342467

To: Acbrown99 [received] 1 reply

Acbrown99,

Yes, the OS.BAT should work the same for your model.

...... snip, snip.

Brad Wilson [Toshiba]

----------------------------->>

Post # 3. Topic: S702 XP Pro Reinstall Msg #1342467

To: Brad Wilson [Toshiba] [received] 1 reply

Brad,

Thanks for the good news.

What about the re-installation of the other pre-installed software (inlcluding the Toshiba utilities) that usually comes with with the computer; can they also be re-installed without formatting the whole Hard disk ? How ?

Look forward to more good news.

Alan C. Brown

----------------------------- >>>

Post # 4. Topic: S702 XP Pro Reinstall Msg #1342467

To: Acbrown99 [received] 1 reply

Acbrown99,

When you run the OS.Bat, is will launch Ghost, which will put the entire batch of software that came with the computer onto the first partition. That's the whole 3 CDs worth of stuff.

For some machines, there were other programs included on seperate CDs, I'm not sure if that is the case with your computer, but if so, you should have those CDs.

Also, without running the full recovery, you can install software by inserting the #1 CD with Windows Running and choosing the option to install Drivers and applications.

Brad Wilson [Toshiba]

------------------------------ >>>>

A you can see Post # 1 clearly indicates that, quote - "The batch file OS.BAT in the /BASE directory can be run to install Windows XP on the first partition. This is preferred as it overwrites the first partition only (it doesn't format the hard disk)" - end quote, and post # 2 states that, quote - "Yes, the OS.BAT should work the same for your model" - end quote.

Would appreciate your comments on this.

Thanks

AlanCB