LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Benchmark results for NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (Covert)

Covert

Dear Covert, remember when I asked you about the steps for disabling PowerMizer on Vista? I've heard people just change 3333 to 3322 on PerfLvlSrc and not modify the other ones. I think the steps you've explained in this topic are to disable PowerMizer fully and using just 3322 is just for disabling on AC but enable on battery? :O

Yup. I like to fully disable powermizer though because I have my own power settings that I use.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Covert

• coolcop06

• Mushu

• wulfe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, I'm new on this forum, and i have the Dell XPS m1530 also with the 8600m GT 256mb DDR3.

Currently I'm using the 177.89 drivers from this forum, but when i over clock to higher then 560 (core) and 910 (memory)

my laptop crashes and restarts (When playing WoW BC or Grid or AoE III or COD2).

Are the 177.89 bad drivers or are my over clocks wrong? So maybe like higher core and lower memory for example? Highest temp = 75 degrees.

If the 177.89 drivers are bad, which drivers should i use then?

Petrelli

Hi, I'm new on this forum, and i have the Dell XPS m1530 also with the 8600m GT 256mb DDR3.

Currently I'm using the 177.89 drivers from this forum, but when i over clock to higher then 560 (core) and 910 (memory)

my laptop crashes and restarts (When playing WoW BC or Grid or AoE III or COD2).

Are the 177.89 bad drivers or are my over clocks wrong? So maybe like higher core and lower memory for example? Highest temp = 75 degrees.

If the 177.89 drivers are bad, which drivers should i use then?

Petrelli

Get 177.98? WoW always plays silky smooth for me on highest settings on almost every driver without overclocking. 8600M does not like COD2 very much though... I've never been able to play it smoothly on recommended settings so I keep waiting until they optimize it well enough to play it good :)

try setting it for 580core and 880mem.

I use these settings and runs fine. (I dont recomend pushing it right to the limit... leave a little gap)

I'm also using 175.63 and find it preformes better than all others... 177.92 followed by 174.74 a close second.

I'm getting mixed results about 177.92, 177.98 and 175.63 (which is also good). Please do post your results. On the front page of this topic it says that 177.92 is still a better benchmark than 177.98 which is interesting knowing that some games do run smoother but with lower FPS. I once read that a lower FPS max means that the driver will run smooth. :)

Thanks for the benchmarks; it's great to be able to see the differences in an easy to read table.

By any chance do you have recommendations for 64-bit OS's? I'm upgrading my Inspiron to 4GB of RAM, and I want to be able to use all of it, so I plan to switch to 64-bit versions of Vista and XP (I dual-boot; the 1720 is big, but I love the resolution and it has space for two drives :) ). Any differences in best drivers when running 64-bit? If not, thanks anyway for the great info above.

Hi!

In the guide for overclocking:

RivaTuner 2.0 fan speed & Overclock Guide

...the first thing they do is to create some fan profiles at different speeds (60, 80, 100%) that will be activated according to the core temperature of the GPU. Is this just a measure to prevent the fan from running full speed (and consequently generating more noise) all the time?

I mean, if i skip this step, and i only overclock the GPU, when temperatures increases, the fan will automatically be set to 100%, doesn't it?

I want to OC my 8600M GT (on a M1530), and I wonder if you guys have followed all the steps of the guide.

Thanks a lot!

my first post

3dMark06 results: 4672 pts (OC'd) 177.92 driver

yay! :)

Edited by wulfe

Hey Covert, is there anyway you can try the 177.84 drivers? :)

hi all ^^

Again my results!

I have established on my laptop OS Win XP 32 bit

I use Latest Drivers

177.98 XP 32bit

i use RivaTuner 2.10 =)

my laptop - Dell inspiron 1520 T7100 1800mhz L2=2mb

my 8600 gt overclock 680/550/1360 (gpu/memory/shader)

5026 3Dmarks

2q4sCRTfKP.jpg

Edited by Pelmeshik

Hey Covert, is there anyway you can try the 177.84 drivers? :)

I second this request. Personally 177.84 pulls the highest marks on my M1530 by far (100 points higher than 177.92 and 177.98). Can someone else confirm?

I second this request. Personally 177.84 pulls the highest marks on my M1530 by far (100 points higher than 177.92 and 177.98). Can someone else confirm?

Will get around to it tomorrow :)

woo, okay got my mobo and heatsink replaced by dell yesterday..

my new clock speed i can reach are 685/1030/1370 (GDDR3)

i am soo impressed... hahaha. tested with ati tool (hairy cube) for 3 hours. average temps went from 76-79c

Tested in BF2 (high settings) for about 2 hours and seems perfectly fine. Temps went from 79-85c.

Edited by coolcop06

You can download them directly from Nvidia site, no need of patched inf, exact link http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_get.html :)

Thanks for the link, I was wondering where to get the driver yesterday!

Edit: I benched them and got horrible scores, I noticed in the registry lots of powermizer settings are already turned off with these drivers but it behaves like it's on a bit...

Edited by Covert

Guest Intenso73
Thanks for the link, I was wondering where to get the driver yesterday!

Edit: I benched them and got horrible scores, I noticed in the registry lots of powermizer settings are already turned off with these drivers but it behaves like it's on a bit...

Gosh, here on a 8600m gt 256mb ddr2 Vista32 on 3DMark06 1280x800 noAA and no OC I scored 3640, I must bench 177.35 for myself, 177.92 seem good too but I need Cuda badly, seems they are not compatible.

Powermizer ideal operation would be to have a menu option to choose between Auto operation and manual profile setup, without the need for third-party software, regardless of AC plugged in or not.

Thanks for the effort, I already benched those drivers :) Go ahead and see if you can get reliable results with the latest CUDA drivers though, I'd appreciate it.

those 177.98 drivers are slightly better than 177.92..

whats buggin me about it is that my digital vibrance jumps to 100 whenever i restart my laptop, so reverted to 177.92

and yes, my temps idle at 57-59 degrees and max out at 80 with 177.98, compared to 54 idle and max at 75 degrees with 177.92

P.S.

i installed the latest Physx drivers with 177.92 and its working great here

The 178.13 driver out with promising changes.

Includes several 3D application performance improvements. The following are examples of improvements measured with v178.13 WHQL versus v175.19 WHQL driver:

Single GPU increases up to 11% in 3DMark Vantage (performance preset)

Single GPU increases up to 11% in Assassin's Creed DX10

Single GPU increases up to 15% in Bioshock DX10

Single GPU increases up to 15% in Call of Duty 4

Single GPU increases up to 8% in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

2-way SLI increases up to 7% in Bioshock DX10

2-way SLI increases up to 10% in Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts DX10

2-way SLI increases up to 12% in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

2-way SLI increases up to 10% in World in Conflict DX10

The 178.13 driver out with promising changes.

Includes several 3D application performance improvements. The following are examples of improvements measured with v178.13 WHQL versus v175.19 WHQL driver:

Single GPU increases up to 11% in 3DMark Vantage (performance preset)

Single GPU increases up to 11% in Assassin's Creed DX10

Single GPU increases up to 15% in Bioshock DX10

Single GPU increases up to 15% in Call of Duty 4

Single GPU increases up to 8% in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

2-way SLI increases up to 7% in Bioshock DX10

2-way SLI increases up to 10% in Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts DX10

2-way SLI increases up to 12% in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

2-way SLI increases up to 10% in World in Conflict DX10

The 3dmark points are almost similar to 177.92, the ingame stability havent test yet