LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Benchmark results for NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (Covert)

Covert

all right, i think i'll give it a shot myself and see if its good

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Covert

• coolcop06

• Mushu

• wulfe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hey,

can you test the new driver set, 178.13??

thanks! :)

Done :) strangely exact same score as 177.98 lol the individual scores are different though. Games seem to run a bit smoother once again too. Remember, things have a higher version number for a reason!

here are my results using 3dMark06 (default settings)

177.92 w/o OC --> 4008 pts

177.92 w/ OC --> 4752 pts

178.13 w/o OC --> 4043 pts

178.13 w/OC --> 4807 pts

* i OC with 650/1300/468

based on my results, these 178.13 drivers are good, and better than 177.92, so i'm sticking with it for the meantime... and the Digital Vibrance (experienced with 177.98) bug is gone too

=D

Edited by wulfe

call of duty 2 is now playable on the highest settings on my computer now.

With the 178 ones I've notice that sunbeams and HDR lighting effects don't behave properly and instead show through everything. For example when the sun is supposed to go behind a tree and dim out, it just shows through anyhow.

Also a few Counter-Strike: Source maps now behave VERY stuttery - but at a great framerate, I believe it has something to do with how it is handling textures.

re the stuttering, try using D3D overrider util, it helps reduce it

Also a few Counter-Strike: Source maps now behave VERY stuttery - but at a great framerate, I believe it has something to do with how it is handling textures.

I agree. CS:S was really smooth with the 177.98 drivers despite the DV problem, but it has a better framerate with the 178.13 drivers. :)

I second that benchmark request for 179.13. :)

Edited by Shaythong

I second that benchmark request for 179.13. :)

Check the boards again guys :)

Going to see if they fixed a few bugs too.

Guest craneduitre

Hi guys.

I'd like to thanks you first for your work. It's hard to find proper informations and support about laptop drivers...

I'm running mostly FSX on my Asus G1S (8600M GT + Vista 32, no OC). Which driver would you recomment me for optimal performance ?

Thanks.

Sebastien.

Hi guys.

I'd like to thanks you first for your work. It's hard to find proper informations and support about laptop drivers...

I'm running mostly FSX on my Asus G1S (8600M GT + Vista 32, no OC). Which driver would you recomment me for optimal performance ?

Thanks.

Sebastien.

179.13 :) The scores may not reflect this, but from my experience Crysis runs a HECK of a lot better and all games in general run smoother.

Also they fixed the CS:S stuttering bug that was in 178.13! Best gaming drivers yet :)

Indeed 179.13 works great.

Edited by Shaythong

yes, it is a good driver, runs smoothly, and temps are good

the only catch is, in my case, is that my brightness controls dont work anymore :/

Kind time of days. Tell please why when I play COD 4, all goes without lags and is normal, but after a while the picture stops and then there are brakes and lags. How it to correct??? With 169.02 goes without the such. Excuse for bad English

Edited by jokkos

@jokkos

i think thats powermizer kicking in and forcing your gpu to downclock... try using rivatuner and enable the force constant performance level feature

@jokkos

i think thats powermizer kicking in and forcing your gpu to downclock... try using rivatuner and enable the force constant performance level feature

And it is possible more in detail please? And why with drivers 169.02 such is not present???

And it is possible more in detail please? And why with drivers 169.02 such is not present???

Because nVidia only just noticed that many of their latest laptop graphics cards were breaking down because of heat so they are implementing powermizer which makes it run slow and whatnot when it gets too hot over overworked. Though in compensation for this the drivers continue to get more and more optimized and games keep running better so hopefully we will eventually be able to play games fine even with powermizer enabled.

Anyhow, just disable powermizer if it bugs you. There's lots of tutorials around the net.

...nVidia ...

I thank for the answer) If powermizer for the good of card video let will be)))

Anyhow, just disable powermizer if it bugs you. There's lots of tutorials around the net.

And it is similar on if wish to break a foot jump about 4 floors =)

Edited by jokkos

I thank for the answer) If powermizer for the good of card video let will be)))

And it is similar on if wish to break a foot jump about 4 floors =)

lol

I say to heck with powermizer. If you play any decent variety of games you'll find that powermizer is pure evil!

If you're still worried about heat without powermizer download a utility like i8Kfan and force your fans to high speed.

Powermizer is really meant for helping your battery life though, the problem is downclocking, which it does with powermizer disabled after you reach a certain temperature, but I found a fix! I think I'll post it.

Please try 178.15. I'm thinking you'll probably get lower points than 178.13 because the Instrumentation features probably will affect performance a little. :)

Edited by Shaythong

hmmm..what are "instrumentation" features anyway..?

Those are not instrumentation features. There was a instrumentation bug on Vista in 178.13 which is fixed in 178.15.