LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Intel Turbo Memory driver 1.8.0.1018

jonspencerbx

Intel today released version 1.8.0.1018 of it's turbo memory driver. This release includes:

Intel® Turbo Memory Driver Revision: 1.8.0.1018

Intel® Matrix Storage Manager Driver Revision: 8.6.0.1007

Download:

English

Multi-language

Release notes Turbo Memory driver

Release notes Matrix Storage Manager driver

Regards,

M.

Edited by jonspencerbx

I've read about this, but i'm missing something vital. WHere to get the hardware?

it usually comes with the laptop... some new Asus laptops here in Singapore has got it, 1GB...

like for my laptop, it has got the slot for it, but no Turbo Memory came with it and the feature is disabled in the BIOS... BenQ's explanation is that Turbo Memory (only got 512MB at that time) offers no significant performance boost except for shaving off a few seconds during startup...

i think u re better off getting a thumbdrive or hi-speed SD card...

The ICH9 (10 as well?) should have it included, but then again it's apparantly up to the OEM to included or not. So it seems there is no way to buy/upgrade it seperately?

yup, it's all up to the OEMs...

i dun mind getting one if there's 4GB version... :)

IT's possible to order it online. See here for example.

It doesn't only improve boottimes, it also speeds up regularly used programs.

The turbo memory principle consits of two things:

first is the intel turbo memory module (which utilizes windows readyboost)

Second is a hybrid hdd. The hybrid hdd utilizes the windows readydrive feature.

Since I've got both the hybrid hdd and the intel turbo memory module, I can tell you it realy does work (on my notebook with 4gb RAM). Boot times improve and regularly used apps load faster.

It takes a while before everything works optimal. In the first few weeks your notebook may even be a bit slower because of the caching, but after things settle down, it does seem to work pretty good.

turbomemorytp1.jpg

Edited by jonspencerbx

Interesting. Finally someone shares his real-world experience. Thanks for this.

I'm sick of reading announcements, marketing bla and delusive reviews.

I have this too in the Toshiba A200GE-26Q, 1GB total with 512M for readyboost and 512M for readydrive. when it's working it does speed things up - but some bugs remain particularly with standby/sleep and resuming, that mean sometimes rather than speeding things up after resuming, the whole computer freezes forcing me to do a hard reboot...

Hi marftarf welcome back with your new laptop. ATI though :) , but then again you might want to join the LV2GO Folding@Home team ( http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=19230 ) with an almighty ATI GPU client :) What happened to the 5200?

I have no doubt that INTEL will update the software regularly.

Please keep us informed about this interesting technology.

Hi again ®®®!

The 5200 had three major problems: the speakers became extremely distorted so it was no longer possible to watch videos or listen to music from it without plugging it into external speakers; it couldn't churn through some video files fast enough so playback in a lot of things was very choppy; then the hinges on the screen started to go so it wouldn't stay up on its own. Plus it was too heavy to drag around & I've had to be travelling a lot lately.

But it is still in service hooked up to a 2nd wireless router and a printer, set to hibernate with wake on lan, stripped down pretty much just to xp sp3 and a browser, where it serves very well as a print server...

Actually, I think the screen on the 5200 was probably the best i've ever seen on a laptop, so too bad I couldn't find a way to keep it in use, and vista sometimes drives me nuts particularly coupled with this intel turbo irritant on standby. And this new toshiba for some reason plays DVDs at less than 50% of the audio volume of anything else - very frustrating!

Is your 5205 still your main machine? If so I'm jealous of its build quality!

No unfortunately not. The VideoCard/VRAM died overheated or whatever (see here http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=11164 for screenshots of the symptoms). I agree with the build and screen quality. I've worked on hundreds of more recent laptops, but none can compete with it. Even the features like Firewire, 3 USB 2.0, WLAN, 2 HDs, DVD-Burner, 1600x1200 LCD, Sound Volume wheel, the keyboard, Harman/Kardon speakers with Subwoofer, and the cPad are still better than what they sell in mid-range laptops now years later. It#s really only limited by the chipset only allowing 1GB of RAM and the P4-M 2.6 as maximum, and the GPU not upgradeable. And no SATA :) But hey that was 6 years ago. Also no INTEL Turbo Memory :)

• 2 weeks later...

First post updated for the new 1.7 release. Lot's of stability fixes in this release.

The included Intel® Matrix Storage Manager Driver is now on version 8.5 (up from version 8.0)

Regards,

M.

• 6 months later...

Scratch that ! :)

Edited by ^nox

• 9 months later...

This thread was not updated so I'm including the link to the latest (but still not new) drivers for Vista and WIndows 7, 32 and 64 bit versions.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18011&ProdId=2813〈=eng

I have the 4GB module and Windows ReadyBoost has never been enabled on my computer.

It is greyed out, with seemingly no way to rectify the situation.

The problem is, the module is not seen as a drive, for Windows to realise it can be used this way.

The ReadyDrive function seems to be working okay.

I must admit though, my computer was already quite immediate, with its 6MB L2 CPU cache and 4GB memory anyway, so it's hard to tell.

I did install the card AFTER I installed Windows 7.

I wonder if it would've made any difference?

They do mention on the Intel site, the fact that something is unavailable for a similar chipset to mine.

Why then would Dell offer the 1GB Turbo Memory as an option, if it was not fully compatible?

Edited by d3v

• 5 months later...

New Rapid Storage drivers v9.6.2.1001 released

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

THANX MATE !!!