LaptopVideo2Go Forums

worried about XPS 1530

Guest boon1987

Guest boon1987

yesterday, i read an article about the defective of nvidia card. Nvidia said all G84 and G86 is defective card due to using weak material on it.

Now, i own a XPS 1530 with 8600 GT 256 DDR3. I worry wether my card is one of them or not. So, i intend to post my GPU temperature at here to compare with everyone who had 8600GT 256 DDR3.

while no playing game:59-66 degree

while playing 3D game such as :) may cry 4 without overclocked using driver 175.80 under window XP SP3:80-88 degree(high setting)

while playing 3D such as assasin greed without overclocked ushing driver 175.80 under window XP sp3:86 degree(high setting)

Is it normal?

Note:wihtout cooling pad.

please feel free to post your GPU temperature.

thank in advance.

Your temperatures seem a little high, but not dangerously so. As for "all G84 and G86" cards being "defective," this is speculation on the part of The Inquirer, a tech tabloid with reliability about on par with The Onion. Neither they nor anyone else (except NV) know exactly what GPUs have the problem.

hey dude, wouldnt worry too much. i have a xps m1530 too. specs on the left...

WITH new thermal paste (arctic silver) and overclocked to 590/1180/820 (i can get it to 600/1200/830, but drivers crash in some games) i get temps from 61c to 72c idle, and in game 81c to 89c... and when i didnt have the better thermal paste it would get to 92c! so dont worry too much... ive had mine for bout 5 months now and nothings happened... ur temps seem pretty normal for any xps m1530 user.

yes, the temps are pretty high but you also must remember you are on a 15" laptop running some pretty nice hardware. not alot of room to cool off... 80-95c will shorten ur cards life but not to like 1 year... alot more than that.

cards are tested to 120c...

Edited by ®®®
Removed Full Quotation of Previous Post

Guest boon1987

Hello....just a few question.

Is the temperature(81 to 89 degree) while you gaming has overclocking the graphic card?

Beside, what operating system you using?vista?

Is applying the thermal paste avoid the warranty by the dell?

I just cleaned my fans and stuff, but didnt applied new thermal grease and im getting 82-84 while gaming on my compal ifl90. Is that normal?

Hello....just a few question.

Is the temperature(81 to 89 degree) while you gaming has overclocking the graphic card?

Beside, what operating system you using?vista?

Is applying the thermal paste avoid the warranty by the dell?

yes... 81-89c is while i game in BF2 overclocked on high settings (no AA, and high settings in gfx card with no AA or antistrophic.)

for the first time i got to 91c again but i did try 600/1200/820 and i crashed after 2 hours of play... so i suggest 580-590/1160-1180/810 for most stability and staying under 90c.

i am using windows vista ultimate x86

and yes i do believe thermal paste does void the warranty on the cpu and gfx chip... but its an easy process so you should not have any problems with that... just make sure its an even coat and its not too thick.. if you want more info you can contact me.

btw ive read of ppl in worst case scenarios and returned there lappies to dell and they replaced the broken part and didnt even notice the new application of thermal paste. lol

Edited by coolcop06

mine stays around 84-86 with GPU overclocked at 625/1250/800 :)

You shouldn't be worried with o/c those temps are normal if not expected. Try turning down your clock speeds to reduce temp. Installing thermal paste, however can prove worthwhile.

yeah i would also say thats a little high... although as mentioned before its an ok temp. to run at. Mine was about the same.. then suddenly shot up to 93 Oc and would crash. Had mother board replaced, along with paste/ pad and heatsink. That fixed the problem.

I am pretty sure if you opened it up, and replaced the pads with new ones, or with paste you would notice a decrease in temp.

My temps (playing games at max. overclock @ 580core 880mem) are currently @ 78 Oc now.

^^That's a pretty significant temp decrease!

Thats the temp i had when i first got the machine. so its good to have a new unit again.

As for the void warrantee question:

I had modified my internal fan, and when dell sent a technition to replace the motherboard, i just removed it and put the stock fan back in. He didn't say anything, and gave me an extra set of thermal pads to replace if i felt the need.

(i would recomend buying AS5 paste and not use the thermal pads)

** Although I do live in New Zealand (population 4.2 million), and over here Dell has a contract with external companies for on-site repair. Not sure if this is the case for other countries.

Edited by wook (alt)

new BIOS available for xps 1530 v: A09 (supposed to fix 8400-8600GT issues)

Edited by wook (alt)