LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Nvidia 8400M GS HDMI audio issues

Emislaurus

:) This problem has been driving me INSANE for the past week or so. I bought this HP Pavillion dv6700 with Nvidia GeForce 8400M to view streaming video and such on my TV. Problem i'm having is that the video card is sending out some sort of signal to my TV that it is also giving it audio, which it is not. Since my TV thinks it is getting audio though the HDMI cable, it disregards the RCA jacks that I want to get audio through. Is there a driver update to get the HDMI to play audio itself, or a way to get the HDMI to stop acting like its putting sound out so my RCA jack will work?

My driver version says its: 7.15.11.5665

tl;dr- HDMI wont play sound, HELP!

156.65 is quite an old driver. Maybe you should try updating to the latest 177.xx driver, or try a 175.xx driver. I think that there is a driver for the Nvidia HDMI audio included.

156.65 is quite an old driver. Maybe you should try updating to the latest 177.xx driver, or try a 175.xx driver. I think that there is a driver for the Nvidia HDMI audio included.

I tried upgrading drivers, but then the HDMI port quit working, it would act like I connected to it, but would not show video on my TV anymore. I noticed under all of the updated drivers none of them say any Geforce mobile cards are supported and Nvidia just keeps referring me to HP for the latest driver. I see GeForce 8400 GS, but not 8400M GS, does it have to have the M also?

Which versions of the drivers have you tried?

Which versions of the drivers have you tried?

ForceWare X 169.09 for Windows Vista 32bit

and a few versions before that,forget the exact numbers.

I found an earlier post of yours

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=19381

about 175.97 just a few minutes ago

would this be the most recent specifically for this card?

I've never really had to deal with issues like this so i'm ind of lost with where to search.

Thanks so much for your help so far.

I just dug around and found the most recent one that specifically mentions my video card.

I am now using driver 7.15.11.7766

The video is coming through but still no audio, any other ideas?

Finally fixed it!!!! It took a little effort, I'll post the link that saved my sanity:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtop...&hl=disable

apparently this can fix scaling issues with monitors as well. Hope this helps anyone else stuck in this situation.

• 2 weeks later...
Finally fixed it!!!! It took a little effort, I'll post the link that saved my sanity:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtop...&hl=disable

apparently this can fix scaling issues with monitors as well. Hope this helps anyone else stuck in this situation.

What exactly did you do?

Because that forum doesn't say anything about HDMI audio. I mean, does your sound now comes through your HDMI cable?

I too have a Geforce 8400M GT (Sony Vaio FZ21M) and are running XP. But no audio is comming through the HDMI cable....

Thx

Edited by crock

• 1 year later...

What exactly did you do?

Because that forum doesn't say anything about HDMI audio. I mean, does your sound now comes through your HDMI cable?

I too have a Geforce 8400M GT (Sony Vaio FZ21M) and are running XP. But no audio is comming through the HDMI cable....

Thx

ssssssaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• 1 year later...
Guest Aaron Richard Arndt

Hi. I am having the same troubles as described above. Have they been resolved? Am I forced to roll back to an ealier driver?

Thanks,

Aaron.

• 2 weeks later...

owo~!~Our HDMI splitters will be able to connect an HDMI device (cable box, DVR, DVD, blu ray player, etc..) to multiple displays. This will allow you to enjoy the same picture on more than one display at the same time.

• 6 months later...
Guest Jono23872

Same problem couldnt find any solutions there.I wish you write down what you did instead show the page

What exactly did you do?

Thx

The solution at the link that Emislaurus posted does have a solution to this problem, you just have to read all the posts. The problem described there is not the same problem as the one in this post, but the solution to the problem inadvertently solves this problem too. The problem is that the TV is "telling" the computer through the HDMI cable using EDID codes that it is an HDTV and therefore should be able to play sound that is transmitted through the HDMI cable. However, we do NOT want that because our NVIDIA card does not play sounds through the HDMI cable unless we have injected sound into it using a cable from the motherboad SPDIF connector (but in my case I don't even have one of those). It is a catch22 situation, the TV tells computer it can play HDMI sound, the computer says "okay, I'll put sound through HDMI then", but NVIDIA card doesn't send the sound because it doesn;t have any sound. So, we have to tell the computer to stop listening to what the TV is telling it about its capabilities. i.e. we have to tell the computer to disregard the EDID from the TV and behave as if we simply have a 1080p monitor attached without sound (that's what the solution in the link http://forums.nvidia...l=disable&st=40 describes). Then the HDMI will display correctly (which wasn't really our problem, but the problem of the people at the link) but ALSO the computer will NOT stop sending the sound out through the analogue sound output, hence allowing this to be used on the RCA connectors audio in on the TV, which is what we want in our case as we do not have SPDIF passthrough to our HDMI card.