LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Basic Questions - 8600M GT

GaNgStA

Hi guys, i'm fairly new to Nvidia laptop graphics i have a few basic questions which i hope you guys can answer for me :) Just to add i have a Dell Vostro 1700 with a Nvidia 8600M GT and 2GB of system RAM.

First question is i have read on Nvidia's websit and a few other links off Google that the card runs at a maximum of 512mb? As far as i know mine's running with 256mb, is it possible to run it at 512mb by using my system RAM or should i just ignore what i've read? If you can do it can you explain what to actually do please :)

The other question i have is i have read about the Nvidia Control panel ect but i don't appear to have this? It's not in add/remove or the start menu and i can't find a link to download it?

A last question is if i was wanting to overclock the card is it easily done as i've used ATI tool for my PC GPU but never donanything Nvidia wise??

Thanks in advance

=P

Are you running xp or vista?

Sorry i forgot to say, i'm running Vista 32bit

=P

Edited by GaNgStA

The Max Memory 512MB is the maximum memory available for that particular version of card. Purchasing a 256mb dedicated 8600M GT will cost less than purchasing a 512Mb dedicated 8600M GT. The card will use more memory when necessary from its turbocache, e.g, it will use some of the system RAM anyway when using 3D applications.

Overclocking using ATI tool should not cause you much problems.

The Nvidia Control Panel should be located in your Computers Control Panel, just switch to classic view and you will see. You wont find it in programs and features.

Hope this helps!

Thanks very much Bades, just to check thought surely you can't use ATI tool to overclock an Nvidia....can you?!

If not what overclocking tools can i use?

Thanks again guys :)

=P

I think you can check the recommended clock speeds for your card with ATI tool.

Overclock with either a program called Ntune by Nvidia or a program called Rivatuner, which you can obtain from Guru3D. Rivatuner is better as it shows you the driver version but Ntune is much simpler.

Good Luck!

Thank you so much for your help Bades!!!

I will let you know if i get stuck but hopefully i should be ok - i'm suppose to be a computer engineer but i only do overclocking/gaming stuff @ home lol

=P