LaptopVideo2Go Forums

HP DV9500T PCI Express

Bades

Just wondering if I can slot in a PCI Express graphics card into the Express Card slot on my laptop.

I am currently using the slot for my TV Tuner but I read somewhere that you can improve game performance by buying and slotting in a PCI Express Card into the expansion slot.

Is this possible??

Much Obliged

Bades

Mods, sorry if this is in the wrong forum!

Thats not possible. Express Card is different from PCI Express. I would hope that someday in the future the technology would be adapted such that something like this is possible for notebooks.

thank you Andrew55 for your reply, it would be good for notebooks to have tht technology. :)

Actually Andrew55 you are only partially correct in your ascertation.

ExpressCard slots in some laptops like my HP do support PCI Express and USB 2.0.

However, graphics cards cannot be simply slotted into these slots. Asus are the 1st company to demonstrate that you can use an external graphics card using a device called an XG station, but in order for it to work, u need an external monitor and seperate power source, which completely takes away the concept of portable gaming.

So you can see the technology is coming but not in the form that we hope!

The XG Station was supposed to come out over a year ago. It's good to see they launched it. I forgot about that actually. Hopefully, in the near future, replacing graphics cards is as easy as sliding a card in and out. I can probably see that becoming a reality in the next two to three years at the rate mobile technology is advancing.

well, AMD came up with an external GPU solution for it's Puma paltform...

it's called XGP (eXternal Graphic Platform), which runs on a special port that is available only on Puma laptops... it has it's own chasis that houses a desktop class GPU, with it's own heatsink and PSU, thus it will not affect the laptop at all... best of all it doesn't require an external monitor...

AMD showcased it during Computex Taiwan 2008, an XGP with a RV670 (ie Radeon HD 3850), and scored more than 8000 in 3D Mark 06...