LaptopVideo2Go Forums

I have question about graphics card temp

edat362007

Is 120 degrees F to hot for a graphics card?

In fact it's a really good temp. My idle temps are at least 20C higher than that.

Thank you. Then thats not the problem. process of elimination.

Well then, what is your problem?

My computer studers or for a better term, it looks like it has the hicups. When I move my cursor across my desktop it will stop for a brief second then go, stop go and so on. When I go online to my clans web site or any site that has anything that is moving like a scrolling banner, animation and even my online game you can really see the studder bad. I've been fighting this for about a month now and still have no clue as to what is causing this. I've been told it might be my graphics card, so i'm trying to rule it out. It appears like this is only happening once I go online either through my wireless card or lan. This morning I did notice it was doing even when not connected to the internet. I've even tried firefox just to rule out IE. I have a dell latitude D800 1.7g processor, 1g ram and it's got a GeForce4 4200 Go graphics card. I hope I've explaned what is going on, it's kinda hard though because I don't know a lot about the goings on of cards and or computers. I will do my best to answer any other questions I may have created with the things I've said.

Thank you for asking though, it's the first yet that I've had someone ask.

No problem, however, it looks like something in your computer is going bad. Probably the cpu. What could rule out or prove this is by doing a clean install of xp and see if you still have the problem. If you do an internal component is starting to malfunction.

I just did a full format and reload Saturday, it worked fine Sunday. Monday morning when I turned it back on it was back again. Guess I can run the diagnostic when I reboot and check my hardware then. Thank you very much. Hopfully it's not too bad and I can have it fixed and it not break me.

The diagnostics won't do much but for the sake of it why don't you try some newer drivers just to be sure?

But it does seem to be some hardware problem.

I did. i tried the 77.77 driver and about an hour or two after I installed my desktop graphics went crazy. They went to 800/600 at like 4bit if I remember right. The 77.77 driver was the first one I loaded after I reloaded my o/s Sat. I took It back to the driver that I got from Dell for this laptop.

but now I see why I never got much of a response off the Dell fourms. I was posting in the video fourm and not the hardware fourm.

Well, hope that you get through with your problem. What I mean by newer drivers, I mean 158.xx and up, preferably 158.45.

Oh, I thought I could only up into he 80's. I will try the one you just suggested, it can't hurt anything anymore than it already it. Again thank you very much for your help and support.

If it doesn't work use the inf from 84.25

Or you could even try the 84.25 drivers if you have the time.

The forceware says it's for Vista and I'm running XP Pro. Does that really matter?

Oh I have the time, can't game now because of this.

Oh my bad, forgot you were running xp. Try these if you haven't already. It's definitely worth a shot:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=9944

or:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=9175

With the modded inf.

ok, cuz here is what happened when I went to extract the driver to my deaktop, lol.

holycownl0.jpg

how do i get all this suff off my screen now. lol drag and drop into my recycle bin.

Well, there's a lesson.1. Don't extract to your desktop. 2. Make sure all the files are contained in a folder. To remove them will require only time. Delete everything that has nv in front of it. Should take about 5 mins at most.

That was funny actually, thanks for the laugh. I've needed it. I got the other one extracted and dropped the inf in the folder I extracted. I'll install it tomorrow, it's a little in the evening for that now. have to be able to use this thing for work just one more day. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks man.

If there are enhancements, how do I use that with the driver file i now have?

You're welcome, I learned the same thing from experience, I had a folder containing about 1000 small files which I extracted straight onto my desktop. I was most certainly in for a surprise. It took me over 2 hours to get everything off the screen! It was a disaster. Now I'm instinctively more careful when extracting. Anyway, I'm anxious to know the outcome to this strange problem.

Enhancements??

Oh you mean using the inf enhancer. The inf enhancer is used so that you can 'customize' your inf so to speak and is not usually necessary. But if you want to use it. Just follow the instructions and it will output your very own inf based on what you want. It works like having your specialized modded inf.

when I went to the first link you gave me for the driver, it has the mod inf, driver info, inf enhancer and the quick quide.

ok, gotcha.

Edited by edat362007

I've tried both of those drivers you suggesed. They worked great but the problem is sill here. I think you might be right about it being hardware related, crap! :) It's gonna be awhile till i get in the shop but thank you for all your help.

I assume you wouldn't have it on warranty anymore so resolving your problem won't be simple. Good luck resolving it though.