LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Best driver for Dual 8800 gtx sli Dell 1730 notebook//I play Age of Conan a lot

holdfast

Hey guys I got myself an xps 1730 notebook and I had a few questions, would appreciate any response, thanks

Here is my system specs: 2.8 ghz extreme core 2 duo + dual x2 SLI 8800 gtx cards, windows vista ultimate 32 bit operating system.

1. When I started to play age of conan, it gave me this msg before the game booted: "you appear to be using an outdated video driver that may behave unstably with our game. It is highly recommened you update your video drivers to at lease verson nVidia Display Driver Forceware release 169.21 or later."

The current driver that came with the computer is 7.15.11.6755, which driver update sholuld I downlaod for the best gaming experiance and where can I downlaod it?

2. And can someone refresh my mind on how to install new videocard drivers? Do I seperately install drivers for each card or does the system automatically installs on both my video cards when I'm installing the driver?

To install new drivers, can someone double check the the steps here --> A. uninstall current drivers from the control panel B. Restart the compuer C. After reboot, install new drivers D. Restart again... <---- is this how to install new drivers?

3. How do I check if I'm running both video cards in sli compared to running just one videocard.

4. Also is the modified drivers safe and stable or better than the offical drivers 167.55 and 174.31 from the dell webpage? Can you explain to a noob about the main differences?

5. Where do I download Nvidia drivers on these forums? is the GeForce Driver Releases forum section the right place?

6 How do I know which driver supports my dual 8800 gtx sli system?

Thanks for reading and taking the time to read my thread, please feel free to reply would greatly appreciate it.

Nice system!! You're lucky. Download the 177.41 drivers from this site as they seem to be most stable (with the modded inf.)

link:http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=19270

It would also be beneficial if you installed the physx drivers too but you don't have to.

The drivers on this site (with the modded inf) are usually better but sometimes original manufacturer drivers also available on this site may work better.

To check if sli is enabled, just go into your nvidia control panel and there should be a tab for it.

Good luck!

p.s:You only need one driver

Thanks for the response m8. So I check if its compatible SLI I check in my nvidia control panel before or after the new driver install? Is there a way to check if its compatible before installing?

Also does that driver you posted downclock the dual 8800 gtx's? I read the 174.31 32 vista version downclocks it.

Need more feedback from more experts, thanks guys appreciate it

EDIT: How do I know which of the drivers here supports my dual 8800 gtx video card in general?

Edited by holdfast

It shouldn't downclock it but if it does disable powermizer and it will solve your problems.

All the drivers here support your card. If it installs without an error message, it is supported.

I just checked that 177.41 and the Original INF says it only supports [DEV_05E1] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280[DEV_05E2] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260[DEV_084C] NVIDIA nForce 780a SLI[DEV_084D] NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI, it doesn't say anything about supporting 8800 gtx sli :) And the people who posted on that thread doesn't have an 8800 gtx video card :)

Been searching for a while two days so far.. Is there anyone here with an 8800 gtx dual SLI card that can tell me which is the best driver to use that doesn't downclock the GPU's, Thanks

The modded inf will have your card supported in it. The original inf (which is posted on the page) does not.

ok thanks, and how did you know this driver is really good with my videocard? I jsust read that thread and their was none who had an 8800 gtx who psoted saying it was a good driver.

And can you explain more in depth what powermizer is? And how would I go about disabling it?

Thanks a bunch andrew for being so friendly m8, I know its a friday and everyones out and about so not much hhelp atm, thanks for your help!

But can you give me a link I can read that says this is the best driver for my system? Thanks m8 appreciate it.

EDIT: With the downclocking of the videocards, when I checked the 174.31 driver thread, people with the 8800 gtx said it was downclocking and that you shouldn't download it if you have the 8800 gtx. So I don't think a simple disabling of that powermizer will solve the downclocking problem, I think you might be thinking of some other problem maybe? Because I read at notebookreview.com that if your videocard is downclocking you just have to get anotehr driver all together. Can anyone else explain this? Thanks

Edited by holdfast

Well actually, I just came home so I'm going to spend some of my free time here until I find something good on tv. The thing is, not many people are lucky enough to have your videocard so they won't be posting giving their results. Another one you can try is 177.66 but the 177.41 is more recommended. To disable powermizer on your card: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....sble+powermizer I posted a wrong link initially.

Edited by Andrew55

Read post in your other thread, thanks.

Yes you shouldnt be askimg what are the best drivet=rs it is a relatrive question and what is good for me may not be good for you, so politics aside dell have a rapid replacememnt drivers onsite

ftp://ftp1.us.dell.com/video/R182343.EXE

thats a performance non tested but I have it and its bliss

also update you ageix card drivers here

http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_8.06.12_whql.html

The dell drivers may work for you as it is obviously more tailored but there is always the possibility that there are better drivers here. Anyway, hope you find the right drivers that give desired performance!

There are no such thing as dell drivers Nvidia are the coders for any of them including the ones you see here on this website in fact some of the code is specific to dell platforms which goes beyond the scope of altering .inf's... and the only thing that gets done here in regards to the drivers is to tweak the inf file which will cheat in effect your computer to think those drivers were meant for those gpu's and certain unlocking of settings that are "hidden" by default so when your installing one of these Expert packages from this TOP TEAM of ppl here at LV2GO you are also taking a greater risk then to accept something that is at least endorsed by the manufatcturers..... so lets get one thing other thing out of the way, Dell XPS M1730 is a dell computer and those drivers posted as the rapid response drivers are cutting edge and REALLY designed for both the GPU's and the LAptop no tweaks, no cheats and just pure out of the box whats meant to be....

I have in the past used these infs and other drivers thar were not meant for my machines to resolve issues that were clearly beyong Nvidias willingness and was in fact pushed in to the LV2GO way by a official support member of nvidia.

Better drivers here is a very relative statement and very vague that depends on games played and other hacks/overclocking gpu bios flashing that ppl do to theire machines and Im willing to bet that the quantification of your words is absurdly impossible to determine given the numbers of ppl that do everything but put a kitchen sink on theire laptops.

so finally I would say ye a maybe it is your lucky day but if I have a choisce I go for the approved drivers I have no interest in a hoose down of benchmarks scores and I dont play games... All Im interested is real performance and stability and keeping the whole lot cool.

BTW I had more post in the past since I been part of theis forum for 2 years I supposed there was a sweep but luckily my account remained.

Edited by X3lectric

^^Well, yeah if you want to be technical. But what I meant was the dell specified drivers that are available for download on their website.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys I got myself an xps 1730 notebook and I had a few questions, would appreciate any response, thanks

Here is my system specs: 2.8 ghz extreme core 2 duo + dual x2 SLI 8800 gtx cards, windows vista ultimate 32 bit operating system.

1. When I started to play age of conan, it gave me this msg before the game booted: "you appear to be using an outdated video driver that may behave unstably with our game. It is highly recommened you update your video drivers to at lease verson nVidia Display Driver Forceware release 169.21 or later."

The current driver that came with the computer is 7.15.11.6755, which driver update sholuld I downlaod for the best gaming experiance and where can I downlaod it?

2. And can someone refresh my mind on how to install new videocard drivers? Do I seperately install drivers for each card or does the system automatically installs on both my video cards when I'm installing the driver?

To install new drivers, can someone double check the the steps here --> A. uninstall current drivers from the control panel B. Restart the compuer C. After reboot, install new drivers D. Restart again... <---- is this how to install new drivers?

3. How do I check if I'm running both video cards in sli compared to running just one videocard.

4. Also is the modified drivers safe and stable or better than the offical drivers 167.55 and 174.31 from the dell webpage? Can you explain to a noob about the main differences?

5. Where do I download Nvidia drivers on these forums? is the GeForce Driver Releases forum section the right place?

6 How do I know which driver supports my dual 8800 gtx sli system?

Thanks for reading and taking the time to read my thread, please feel free to reply would greatly appreciate it.

thank you very much

• 2 weeks later...

nvidia latest official non tweaked drivers for m1730 geforcego 8800 gtx find them here http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_...75.32_whql.html I recommned the ageia http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.ph...11839ca384f0155 to go with these drivers and dont for get to update to the very latest dirctx as well this is well needed http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

then to you have to phisically check and set you ssytem into SLI b y default it comes turned off.

open nvidia control panel

and if you have advanced settings turned on should be 3 option down on tree view.

if it asks you weere to display SLI it give you two optipn select sharp and NOT display

if you select display you wnt se anything but a blach screnn on you laptop after boot.

I trust this answers all those questions i real detail and I wish you a safe hourney into the world of SLI and real physix

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I have in order a xps 1730 with dual 8800gtx too. My question is : do you know if there is a compliant, working stereo driver for this mobile GPU ?

Thanks a lot.

Hi all,

I have in order a xps 1730 with dual 8800gtx too. My question is : do you know if there is a compliant, working stereo driver for this mobile GPU ?

Thanks a lot.

erm stereo driver ist that kinda for nforce chipsets? Hardly what you have there thats a Santa Rosa (codenamed Crestline) Intel chipset I do however have a box of tricks for the M1730

If you can see my signature it will lead you to my blog where the very latest ODM and working with M1730 drivers can be found and below a community I am part of that also has found a few cures for issues like crackling sound by updating or moddifying a program .ini for sound drivers like the guys do here with the Video drivers.

You cant miss either I promise

but just in case my sinature is not showing here you go

My blog first topic allways up to date

http://x3webworx3.spaces.live.com/

and the forum-wiki Im part of XPS only Community.

http://www.xps-wiki.com/stereo-mix-aka-rec...abled-xps-m1730