LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell 1420 Vista 32 - UNDERclocking driver?

Miller88

I got this laptop about a month ago and haven't really used it since I plan on using it mainly for classes ... and classes dont start for another month.

Not really sure why I needed the nvidia card, but I need a set of drivers that I can underclock with (for heat and batt life). I'm running vista ultimate 32 bit.

Thanks

Miller

I got this laptop about a month ago and haven't really used it since I plan on using it mainly for classes ... and classes dont start for another month.

Not really sure why I needed the nvidia card, but I need a set of drivers that I can underclock with (for heat and batt life). I'm running vista ultimate 32 bit.

Thanks

Miller

In Vista(any edition) powermizer is enabled, but you have no control over it. Powermizer dynamically clocks gpu to the user need. It doesn't really mater what driver you have, the scenario is still the same. If you really want to improve your battery life you should use vistas built in power control i.e.- Max Batt., High Perf. or get a utility like rm clock(google it) To create your own power profile and under volt your CPU which will save you a great deal of power. And u needed the nvidia card because x3100 blows big balls. Hope this helps.

Guest Miller88

So I won't need to manually down clock the card to get good battery life? I've been using NHC a bit on it. I have tried rm clock in the past with little results, but I'll check some of the guides on the internet and see if I can get it to work.

My 1520 laptop had the x3100. I got mad and bought a motherboard and videocard (8600m gt) for it on ebay. Not a bad upgrade for <$150

So I won't need to manually down clock the card to get good battery life? I've been using NHC a bit on it. I have tried rm clock in the past with little results, but I'll check some of the guides on the internet and see if I can get it to work.

My 1520 laptop had the x3100. I got mad and bought a motherboard and videocard (8600m gt) for it on ebay. Not a bad upgrade for <$150

As far as I know you don't need to manually clock the card yourself, since powermizer is supposed to do it 4 u. But if you really wanted to you could use rivatuner and under low-level system tweaks override the default clocks and lower them yourself. But from experience the 2 biggest battery eaters are cpu and display. Decreasing display brightness is pretty easy, but under volting cpu is a lil harder. Thats where rm clock comes in. The key is to finding the lowest stable voltage your c2d can run at. Do a google search for your c2d model number and include undervolt and you'll find plenty of hits. Then create a profile in rm clock starting with the lowest voltage/speed and increase from there. I hope this isn't too long and confusing. I'm sure you'll be able 2 figure it out. :) And I'll take a NV igp over any intel igp bulls*** any day of the week!!!!! :)

I'll give the undervolting on the CPU a try. I have an extra 1.5 core 2 laying around, so I might throw that in and see if it uses any less power.

But incase I did want to manually set the clocks, what driver?

I'll give the undervolting on the CPU a try. I have an extra 1.5 core 2 laying around, so I might throw that in and see if it uses any less power.

But incase I did want to manually set the clocks, what driver?

any driver, I use 177.70 , u just need rivatuner(http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163)

The download page shows u how to access clock speeds. Good Luck :)

Another thing that I noticed is I can't pick up a temperature with atitool. I'll try it with rivatuner.