LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Fan control XPS M1730 + 8800M GTX SLi

KracsNZ

Does anyone know of a working fan control program for the above? Having issues in Age of Conan (randomly while playing I'll get a BSOD with IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL, with the faulting module being nvlddmkm.sys). I can play for hours when I have a deskfan blowing cool air across the bottom of my laptop, but I can get it within half an hour without the fan.

I've made sure all 3 fans do work. When the GPUs approach the 75 degree mark the fans kick in and reduce the temp back below 69 and I know that's well within the safe operating temps, but when running with the deskfan on my temps can be as low as 50 while playing.

I've tried l8kfangui, but it only supports 2 fans so the 3rd fan (on the 2nd GPU) doesn't power on.

Rivatuner appears to have no support for this laptop and SpeedFan can't even detect the fans.

I really want to be able to keep my fans running so I can play with a cooler running PC.

Frustrating when other laptop manufacturers do (Alienware, Sager, Clevo???) but Dell doesn't seem to want to.

I've searched the deepest darkest corners of the net and came up with nothing. Some say its a bios problem, but I'm not sure. One alternative I could think of is do a lil modding to the mxm module. It wouldn't be that hard. Run a test and verify what gpu fan u can control. Afterwords remove the module and simply run the 3 jumpers controlling the fan to the other u can control in a color coordinated fashion.

dual8800mgtx.jpg

Best of all, u don't have 2 make it permanent in case u ever need to use your warranty.

A good notebook cooler is a viable option as well. Whatever your choice, happy modding and good luck :)

Yeah, just a little dubious about doing an after-market mod on a still in warranty (expensive) laptop lol :)

I don't think it'd be too hard to mod the code for l8kfangui to support the 3rd fan, Dell diagnostics program can already override all 3 fans.

May see if I can grab the source code for l8kfan and see what I can workout.

Good Idea, But mods are fun :)

Then again, $3k :) ain't exactly cheap

Yeah, just a little dubious about doing an after-market mod on a still in warranty (expensive) laptop lol :)

I don't think it'd be too hard to mod the code for l8kfangui to support the 3rd fan, Dell diagnostics program can already override all 3 fans.

May see if I can grab the source code for l8kfan and see what I can workout.

wait... so im runing an xps 1530... if i download dell diagnostics i can override my fans?

man that would be great...

• 3 weeks later...

I have dumped all sorts of info at diefers site but it seems is given up the coding of I8GUIFAN or hes too busy... Havent found anything beside monetering tools but notng ths real overrides the fan speen... I ve asked dell into one of my secret contacts and she has promised to have a look to see what the Bios guys can do.

Either way dont hold your breath,

• 2 months later...

Hey matey,

Running the same rig, and steady at 50ish degrees Celcius.

How?

Well it's simple really... I keep the M1730 plugged in at all times, run the cpu fan at maximum by overclocking my processor in the bios (X9000) and running the GPU fans at max using the latest system tools from Nvidia:

For those of you who do not know where to get the software or how to overclock your NVidia based system:

Download:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_system_tools_6.03.html

And install all three of the tools included in the package.

Works for software overclocking your GeForce chips/cards...

However if you cannot change the fan speed in for instance driver version 180.43 try applying the clocks as you want them and see if the machine gets too hot, my M1730 automatically runs max fanspeed on the GPUs anyhow...

Otherwise fall back to an older driverset like 178.24 or 178.08 and it will work flawlessly smile.gif

my two cents for those who don't want to meddle with the bios settings

That's a message I posted on a forum a while ago that combats the heat problem while overclocking.

One problem remains ... if you do not have an extreme processor you will have to look into overclocking or controlling the system fans in some other way .... but the GPU fans can be controlled through the use of the above mentioned tools :)

Good luck matey :)

-= Thurin out =-

Hey matey,

How?

Well it's simple really... I keep the M1730 plugged in at all times, run the cpu fan at maximum by overclocking my processor in the bios (X9000) and running the GPU fans at max using the latest system tools from Nvidia:

That's a message I posted on a forum a while ago that combats the heat problem while overclocking.

One problem remains ... if you do not have an extreme processor you will have to look into overclocking or controlling the system fans in some other way .... but the GPU fans can be controlled through the use of the above mentioned tools :)

-= Thurin out =-

Yea thats the problem I dont have that cpu and reading on the page you nead nforce chipset to be able to control fan temp All M1730 run on santa rosa 965 chipset and thats intel, Im stiill trying I8KfanGUI dev He's busy and need a machine to test the value on it...

On another note I hae managed to bring my GPU tem down on iddle to about max 64C I dont know why but running Lavalys Everest on the backround seem that the cpus fans engage at lower temsp?? illogical since it only a monetiring app that I use and display on gamming LCD

Also I have a load of driver updates that I managed to source for manufacturesr which stabilize and run the machine better while only keeping to stock nvidia 175.32 bet drivers.

you can find them not on the XPS wiki theire well outdated except video cam drivers rest I have a massive edge on. worth a bookmark? I let you guys decide that.

see it on my blog allog with many intersting post but tha particular one is 11th Aug 3 or 4th topic down

http://x3webworx3.spaces.live.com/

Hey matey,

How?

-= Thurin out =-

Yea thats the problem I dont have that cpu and reading on the page you nead nforce chipset to be able to control fan speed All M1730 run on santa rosa 965 chipset and thats intel, Im stiill trying I8KfanGUI dev He's busy and need a machine to test the value on it...

The NVIDIA System Tools installation package includes:

1. NVIDIA Performance Group (v6.03.06.00) add-on to the NVIDIA Control Panel

• nForce MCPs
    • ? Enables system tuning and profiles for clocks, voltages, timings, and fans
      ? Includes support for Enthusiast System Architecture (ESA) components
      ? Displays detailed system information

[*]GeForce GPUs

• ? Enables GPU overclocking

2. NVIDIA System Monitor (v6.03.04.00) standalone application

• nForce MCPs
    • ? Enables system monitoring for clocks, voltages, timings, and fans
      ? Includes support for Enthusiast System Architecture (ESA) components

[*]GeForce GPUs

• ? Enables GPU temperature monitoring

3. NVIDIA System Update (v2.00.44.05) add-on to the NVIDIA Control Panel

• Automatically checks for nForce and GeForce driver updates
  • Adds ability to update your system bios
  • Includes support to update firmware of Enthusiast System Architecture (ESA) components

System tuning and monitoring support:

• nForce 4, 5, 6 and 7 series motherboards

Enthusiast System Architecture (ESA) support:

• nForce 790i Ultra SLI
  • nForce 790i SLI
  • nForce 780a SLI
  • nForce 780i SLI
  • nForce 680i SLI
  • nForce 680i LT SLI

GPU overclocking and temperature monitoring support:

• GeForce 5 (FX), 6, 7, 8, 9, and 200 series GPUs

• Windows XP users must install Service Pack 1, at a minimum, prior to attempting to install this package. Failure to do so will result in the inability to support USB 2.0.
  • Installation of DirectX 9.0 or higher is required in order to use NVIDIA System Monitor.

NVIDIA Control Panel and System Monitor

I really have no interest on overclocking GPU's atm without resolving the heat issue first. though it could cause a better stability on both parts but ey maybe I will give the overclocking a try see what happens with temps and fans.

On another note I have managed to bring my GPU tem down on iddle to about max 64C I dont know why but running Lavalys Everest on the backround seem that the cpus fans engage at lower temsp?? illogical since it only a monitering app that I use and display on gamming LCD whats going on

Also I have a load of driver updates that I managed to source for manufacturesr which stabilize and run the machine better while only keeping to stock nvidia 175.32 bet drivers.

you can find them not on the XPS wiki theire well outdated except video cam drivers rest I have a massive edge on. worth a bookmark? I let you guys decide that.

see it on my blog allog with many intersting post but tha particular one is 11th Aug 3 or 4th topic down

http://x3webworx3.spaces.live.com/

You will be surprised how many different and upgrades you can find on that post... or then a gain maybe not either way lets us know.

I can't change to fan speed at all, tried rivatuner 2.11 and nvidia system tools 6.03 . nothing works. Playing Games rivatuner says GPU temp at 80 degress and idle is 60-70 degress celcius. very Hot. anyone find something that can override control.I wanna turn fan speed up!!!.

Edited by Nofearangel

I can't change to fan speed at all, tried rivatuner 2.11 and nvidia system tools 6.03 . nothing works. Playing Games rivatuner says GPU temp at 80 degress and idle is 60-70 degress celcius. very Hot. anyone find something that can override control.I wanna turn fan speed up!!!.

Join the queue your not the only one!! The only chance we get is if anyone either takes the I8KfanGUI source code and improves it to supports more models inclusing the M1730 or if The coder fot I8KfanGUI actually does it himself

The source code for latest version is http://www.diefer.de/software/i8kfangui31-src.zip so dont let me stop you I cant code and more specifically I only do graphics.

So anyone up for it by all means, I would if I could I have contacted the developer and I know hes busy, needs, wants to continue, but also needs a laptops to test it under.

or check out the previous post and you find out that I pretty much already said it would be impossible to do so you need a nforce chipset which the M1730 does not have however as the previous user suggests with the x9000 cpu overclocked he managed to boost the speed of GPU fan to max as well.

otherwise that tool for me or you would only serve to overclock the gpu's and check on temperature I alsready have that.

Edited by X3lectric

• 3 weeks later...

an update on the M1730 cooling, I have been trying to get help on redeveloping and updating the opld I8KfanGUI seems to be a little harder than I first imagined but its early days yet. No one seems interested regardless of the potential here but I will persevere.

Im pulling all the tabs to get contacts with developers with the skills to work on two projects that will change a great deal on all XPS models and other laptops, a team name. branding, and all related work is regards to preparartion planning and implementation as already began Im developing the concepts and the logos and branding/marketing parts of this. Ive contacted major players in all fields of the internet like Google and Mozilla and have developed startegies that are sound and viable for any parts joining the venture regardless of what you want to take from it.

Keep tuned and contact me on my blog (click my signature prograss bar) or visit The recruiting post at my blog for more details on skills required and information.

• 2 years later...
Guest Andrew

Hey All,

I don't know if this will do EXACTLY what you want, but I've had the same problem with my fan not running all the time. So, I, instead, decided to turn off the feature "POWERMIZER". That helped me keep my nvidia graphic's card on at it's best speed at all times, AND, the fan maintained it's speed almost all the time as well! It usually runs at 85 - 100% speed (the fan)! There is a program called NV GPU Pro (FREE) that works very well. And, the worst case is that the vid card is always running at it's best speed, thankfully, and the fan USUALLY runs at full speed! I hope this helps ya'll!

Thanks,

Andrew

• 2 months later...

Hey All,

I don't know if this will do EXACTLY what you want, but I've had the same problem with my fan not running all the time. So, I, instead, decided to turn off the feature "POWERMIZER". That helped me keep my nvidia graphic's card on at it's best speed at all times, AND, the fan maintained it's speed almost all the time as well! It usually runs at 85 - 100% speed (the fan)! There is a program called NV GPU Pro (FREE) that works very well. And, the worst case is that the vid card is always running at it's best speed, thankfully, and the fan USUALLY runs at full speed! I hope this helps ya'll!

Thanks,

Andrew

AVG reported this as a trojan horse virus. Fail.

• 2 months later...