LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8400M GS Drivers for Sony Laptops

gdblaster

I have this model of Sony Vaio VGN-SZ650N and it has Hybrid Graphics System (NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS and Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100). The problem is that i installed the provided drivers for GeForce but i have big problems with them on Windows Vista Business 32-bit. When i see a movie or a dvd, the video driver fails and i see the blue screen, or sometimes when i see some pictures, the display flashes for few seconds and i get a pop-up message that "video driver stopped working". I updated the drivers withe the new ones from Sony Support website but still the same problems. I want to know which drivers are good for what i have, i tried to use the last ones from NVIDIA website (175.19) but i get that error which i read about on these forums. I see lots of versions 177.xx/176.xx/175.xx but i really get confused and if there are some good drivers that fix my problem, please tell me.

Tnx in advance.

I have this model of Sony Vaio VGN-SZ650N and it has Hybrid Graphics System (NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS and Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100). The problem is that i installed the provided drivers for GeForce but i have big problems with them on Windows Vista Business 32-bit. When i see a movie or a dvd, the video driver fails and i see the blue screen, or sometimes when i see some pictures, the display flashes for few seconds and i get a pop-up message that "video driver stopped working". I updated the drivers withe the new ones from Sony Support website but still the same problems. I want to know which drivers are good for what i have, i tried to use the last ones from NVIDIA website (175.19) but i get that error which i read about on these forums. I see lots of versions 177.xx/176.xx/175.xx but i really get confused and if there are some good drivers that fix my problem, please tell me.

Tnx in advance.

I'm going to recommend 177.70. These are the best vista drivers I have used to date. Not a single problem going on a week strong. They include a zip full of oem inf's. Use NVAM.inf as it supports your device. Since u have the hybrid system I would recommend uninstalling both graphics drivers(intel+nvidia) and using driver cleaner(http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745)to delete everything left behind. Head over to intels website and download mobile intel express 965 media accelerator driver(http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2800&OSFullName=Windows+Vista*+Business%2C+32-bit+versionāŒ©=eng&strOSs=154&submit=Go!). Install intel first, nvidia last. It may seem tedious, but if you follow precisely I can give u a 99% rating for success. If u have problems just repost and I'll answer. :)

I'm going to have to disagree. I find every driver i have tried i get varying degress of screen tearing. especially with HD and high motion footage.

This is the best for video playback i think (games is another story). Its by dell {175.97} and is for both vista and XP (32).

here is the vista link.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...p;fileid=261031

WHQL driver for 8400m

Hope it works for your system!

Edited by wook (alt)

well i tested both drivers and the problem of driver failure is gone and i hope for good. the only difference is that when testign the same videos on both versions of drivers 175.97 was better than 177.70 (i had reduced framerate on the videos). and forgot about gaming, i dont need this laptop for that cause i have another one based on ATi for that. anyway it seems the problem is gone (cause i was getting pissed when windows was freezing or other stuff like that) gonna test the drivers more to see if there is any other problem. tnx a lot for the help. didnt expect such a fast reply :)

Edited by gdblaster

yeah she's a good site... glad our help soved the problem for you. :)

• 3 months later...
well i tested both drivers and the problem of driver failure is gone and i hope for good. the only difference is that when testign the same videos on both versions of drivers 175.97 was better than 177.70 (i had reduced framerate on the videos). and forgot about gaming, i dont need this laptop for that cause i have another one based on ATi for that. anyway it seems the problem is gone (cause i was getting pissed when windows was freezing or other stuff like that) gonna test the drivers more to see if there is any other problem. tnx a lot for the help. didnt expect such a fast reply :)

Where can I get the nvidia driver mentioned above? I have the same Sony notebook with the same issues. Message on Nvidia's site says they can't offer notebook drivers, only the OEM can.