LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Driver install problems with modded INF

mobilenvidia

It took me a while (work) to get 177.79 uploaded.

There was a link to the nVidia site to get the driver.

The default nVidia driver is the English ONLY version, the international versions mean an extra click.

I base my modded INFs on the International version to accommodate as many folk as possible.

When you grab the English only driver and use the Modded INF which has international code.

THE DRIVER WILL NOT INSTALL, I have just tried this and confirmed it.

Best thing to do is to match the driver and modded INF from here, or grab the international version from nVidia.

The INFs are based on the driver uploaded to our server.

For some really silly reason the installer will not go on when a file cannot be found even though it may not even be needed.

177.79 does NOT come with nvhotkey.dll if you have a driver installed like 177.73 then install 177.79 without uninstalling first then you will get file not found error on reboot.

Just another issue to overcome :)

Now as for the Control panel not working this is a different kettle of fish

But I would HIGHLY recommend uninstalling old driver first before installing new one.

And also reboot after uninstall AND after install of new one.

One solution I've found for my custom INF for HP based systems is to simply edit out the NvHotkey installation and tweaks altogether. The NvHotkey function was a feature normally ONLY included with OEM drivers rather than mainstream ones. I have never found it included with the mainstream releases. My solution after seeing so many people having issues with it during installation was to simply remove it entirely. In my experience it only caused more problems. I never found out how it works and I don't think it even works really.

One solution I've found for my custom INF for HP based systems is to simply edit out the NvHotkey installation and tweaks altogether. The NvHotkey function was a feature normally ONLY included with OEM drivers rather than mainstream ones. I have never found it included with the mainstream releases. My solution after seeing so many people having issues with it during installation was to simply remove it entirely. In my experience it only caused more problems. I never found out how it works and I don't think it even works really.

Good point.

I may head down this path, as me thinks only a minority use the hot keys.

May to incorporate it into Quadro GPU's only, most likely users.

I was never even aware of hotkey support. I still don't even know what they do. I guess that tells you I don't use them!