LaptopVideo2Go Forums

can't overclock 9500M GS

Frega

hello..

i have a acer 6920G with a 9500M GS, i tried to overclock it with ATITools 0.27, RivaTunner 2.09, nTune

in nTune when i change the core clock up to 475mhz and click apply the core clock back to 475mhz

in ATITools i can chance 2D and 3D low profile clocks, but when i change the 3d performance up to 475mhz the core clock back to 475mhz

in RivaTunner i change the core clock up to 475 the values that i changes stays but don't makes effect...

what a hell??

im using drives 174.93

if necessary i can flash the vga bios normally??

thanks =)

Edited by Frega

When in doubt, just flash it! Long as you use your original BIOS, not one off the internet, no harm will come of it. Just don't do stupidly high clocks.. just build it up like 10-20 mhz a time, the EEPROM can be re-written about 1000 times.

We've actually had a 3 page post about flashing the vga bios to change clocks permanently. Take a look here.

Theres one other software program I can think of to change clocks. Its called powerstrip and can be found here.

This program let me oc a 6100 go igp all the way to 576mhz(default425)! If that doesn't work, your gonna have to flash if u really wanna oc that bad :)

thanks for the help but,

no way, i think i need to flash my bios... powerstrip don't work too... (i can overclock the 2d but when i change the 3d and apply changes the values go back to default )

475core

800 gddr2

47-48ÂșC idle

60ÂșC Full load

what you think? i can go to 520core 850 gddr2?

Edited by Frega

That definitely sounds like a stable oc. Can u make a copy of your vga bios with gpuz and attach it here. Then I can get a look at the thermal

limit of your card with nibitor.

uh, after 20minutes of crysis @ 1280x720 all medium 12-17fps -> gpu @ 62ÂșC

here is the validation...

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/288en/

9500M GS is G84 or G94?!?!

edit---

the validation don't show the temps, (idle now @ 50ÂșC)

original rom in the attchment

thanks =)

original.zip

Edited by Frega

Well Your critical temp is listed at 110c, and its G84 so be warned. This card has had some problems. The guy with the xps I was tryin to help out has

a downclocking issue because the card has a thermal problem. Since your vga bios is from this year, thats probablly why its not letting u oc w/software.

Take a look

Thanks for uploadind the rom. It really helps :)

post-27730-1217539584_thumb.png

Edited by AV Logistics

something simple you may want to try before you get too far ahead of yourself.

before you install new drvers, do you uninstall them?

Then reboot into safe mode, then run an application called 'driver sweep' to remove all ddl's etc out of your system.

Then rebot, and install a new driver. then install rivatuner again, then start to overclock.

Anytime i don't uninstall the old driver first, i can't overclock either.

Edited by wook

I would be very, very careful about flashing your BIOS like that. If the flash fails, or if the card is unstable, you may not have a way to flash it back to the way it was.

@wook, i have tested lots of drivers, 177.xx 175.xx 174.xx.... but i don't used the driver sweeper... i will test this...

you can recomend a driver with "overclock enabled" to me?

@michael, yes, i know the risks, but is the only way..... i think

sorry forgot i posted a reply here.

I'm using 177.73 and overclocking sucessfully.

Umm.. driversweep is very important as it clean out fragments of different driver versions. so when you are overclocking using a tool, one driver will be overclocked and other parts of the other driver wont. This has stopped me overclocking quite often.

(try it again, as it may not have worked correctly)

Detailed instructions:

go to:

1)system propertes/ hardware profile... uninstall display drivers

2)restart

(confirm that under normal boot up the system says 'standard VGA adapter')

3) if yes then restart into 'safe' mode

if not, then repeat step 1

4)run driversweep, clean nvidia drivers out

5) restart in 'normal' mode

6) install new driver,

7) install rivatuner 2.09 (or your prefered overclocking tool)

If this does not work, then... umm... maybe its time for a clean install of windows? i do this every 2-3 months. Keeps the system clean and running fast.

hmm overclock working now with my steps :) :)

1) format c:\ =p

2) install windows vista 32bits

3)install driver 169.04 and rivatuner 2.09

4) done.

here is the validation http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/8euqs/

core 600mhz

mem 475mhz (950mhz)

but 169.04 is a very old driver, and don't run blu-ray videos...i need other driver with overclock enabled :/

have another version with oc enabled?

Edited by Frega

There are a lot. The 177.66 drivers work pretty well.

If its a laptop 9500M GS then its core clock is default at 475Mhz. I OCed my 9500M GS in my Asus to 500Mhz Core Clock, 1000Mhz Shader Clock, and 425Mhz Memory clock without any artifacts or any visual problems. I OCed with a max temp in mind since it is a laptop. I wanted to stay at 79C or under. Running benchmarks with max graphics etc. The highest temp I hit was 76C.

There are a lot. The 177.66 drivers work pretty well.

nop, overclock not works in 177.66 for me :/ i alerdy tested

If its a laptop 9500M GS then its core clock is default at 475Mhz. I OCed my 9500M GS in my Asus to 500Mhz Core Clock, 1000Mhz Shader Clock, and 425Mhz Memory clock without any artifacts or any visual problems. I OCed with a max temp in mind since it is a laptop. I wanted to stay at 79C or under. Running benchmarks with max graphics etc. The highest temp I hit was 76C.

hehehe, for bench i used, 650mhz core, 475mhz memory 1300mhz shaders, under load @ 60ÂșC :)

3DMark06 @ drivers 169.04 = 4421points

4421gpuzyg0.th.jpg

Guest thomaskc

when you have a locked bios like you and I does, there are only 169.04 that will let you OC.. using them myself for that reason only.. and yes, they are s*** old :/ sucks that I cant get the optimizations from the newer drivers also.

going to call LG and ask what the point is...

nop, overclock not works in 177.66 for me :/ i alerdy tested

hehehe, for bench i used, 650mhz core, 475mhz memory 1300mhz shaders, under load @ 60ÂșC :)

3DMark06 @ drivers 169.04 = 4421points

4421gpuzyg0.th.jpg

My processor is more powerful than yours so it creates more heat. And those temps are gaming not benching. The games I play are far more intense than a benchmark. Also it sucks you pushed an Acer that far. I scored a few points less than what you did with my clocks.

• 1 year later...
Guest tsun-dre

funny thing but i also couldnt overclock my 9500m gs

the reason for this was because i was using battery and overclocking on gpu in battery mode won't work

however when i plugged in mhy power supply overclocking with software like nvidia system tools rivatuner etc was a piece of cake

lesson learned dont overclock when ur in battery mode it only lets you downclock