LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Help needed on a few stuffs

Guest UnknownEntity

Guest UnknownEntity

I have this issue with my Acer laptop which I am not sure what is the cause of it.

Acer Aspire 5920G

Intel Core 2 Duo T9300

3GB DDR2 RAM

320GB 5400rpm SATA HDD

Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT DDR2

Window Vista Business Service Pack 1

Nvidia ForceWare Driver 177.66

At stock clock, the temperature of the GPU after playing GRID for 15 minutes is around 100°C. Went to Acer's service center a two times to change the graphic card, cleaning of fan and reapplying thermal paste and the problem still persist. Is this problem Nvidia issues or Acer's issue?

If the issue is caused by Nvidia

- What should I do about it? Wait for them to announce what they going to do about the weak die packaging?

If the issue is caused by Acer, what should I do about it? I can only come out with one reason and that is;

- The thermal design of this particular model is the cause of the heat (Heat cannot be transfered out of the laptop fast enough due to poor thermal design layout)

Also note that the technician onsite told me that there is a spike in the case of this particular model of notebook 'overheating' recently, and they advised me to book in the laptop for for diagnostic and repair. Do you think there's really a need for a book in? If yes, what if after getting back the laptop from Acer and the problem still persist? Should I ask for a one to one exchange for another model of laptop which cost the same as I first bought my current laptop or any suggestions you guys have? Thus far I've visited the service center 2 times in 1 month for the same issue, coming to thd 3rd time if I decided to book in my laptop. What should I do? Thanks.

Currently, my 8600M GT is overclocked to 625/1250/460 via BIOS editing with temperature at 108°C when under full load. (Pretty close to the thermal limit of 110°C)

I have this issue with my Acer laptop which I am not sure what is the cause of it.

Acer Aspire 5920G

Intel Core 2 Duo T9300

3GB DDR2 RAM

320GB 5400rpm SATA HDD

Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT DDR2

Window Vista Business Service Pack 1

Nvidia ForceWare Driver 177.66

At stock clock, the temperature of the GPU after playing GRID for 15 minutes is around 100°C. Went to Acer's service center a two times to change the graphic card, cleaning of fan and reapplying thermal paste and the problem still persist. Is this problem Nvidia issues or Acer's issue?

If the issue is caused by Nvidia

- What should I do about it? Wait for them to announce what they going to do about the weak die packaging?

If the issue is caused by Acer, what should I do about it? I can only come out with one reason and that is;

- The thermal design of this particular model is the cause of the heat (Heat cannot be transfered out of the laptop fast enough due to poor thermal design layout)

Also note that the technician onsite told me that there is a spike in the case of this particular model of notebook 'overheating' recently, and they advised me to book in the laptop for for diagnostic and repair. Do you think there's really a need for a book in? If yes, what if after getting back the laptop from Acer and the problem still persist? Should I ask for a one to one exchange for another model of laptop which cost the same as I first bought my current laptop or any suggestions you guys have? Thus far I've visited the service center 2 times in 1 month for the same issue, coming to thd 3rd time if I decided to book in my laptop. What should I do? Thanks.

Currently, my 8600M GT is overclocked to 625/1250/460 via BIOS editing with temperature at 108°C when under full load. (Pretty close to the thermal limit of 110°C)

Firsty, UNDERCLOCK your card. You shouldn't be complaining to ACER about overheating if you are overclocking it.

Also in most cases it voids your warranty to get a problem caused by overclocking, make sure they don't find out.

Guest UnknownEntity
Firsty, UNDERCLOCK your card. You shouldn't be complaining to ACER about overheating if you are overclocking it.

Also in most cases it voids your warranty to get a problem caused by overclocking, make sure they don't find out.

At stock clock,[/b] the temperature of the GPU after playing GRID for 15 minutes is around 100°C. Went to Acer's service center a two times to change the graphic card, cleaning of fan and reapplying thermal paste and the problem still persist. Is this problem Nvidia issues or Acer's issue?
Note that temperature at 100°C is stock clock, at 475/950/400.

Note that temperature at 100°C is stock clock, at 475/950/400.

Then by all means send it in for diagnostics and repair.

thats pretty extreem temperatures. Get acer to replace motherboard/ or video card if its an MXM system. You mentiond that the thermal paste was replaced. so can not be a connections issue.

I was having similar issues you have specified, and after a mother board change, i am back down to normal temp. (even when overclocking)

this is most def. a hardware issue.