LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Laptop too hot while gaming? Dell XPS M1530

kinginthahood

hi,

I've got a XPS M1530 with 8600MGT DDR3!! While i'm playing games like wolfentein or company of heroes, my temps go to 87c?

With previous drivers even 90c!

notes:

- no overclocking

- dell bios A09

Are these temps normal? or are they strange?

greetz

Yo, i have have the same when gaming with ma xps m1530 aswell even with the A09 bios update. It gets really hot in the area where the speakers are on the touchpad strip. Its started as soon as i hav arived on holiday in pak. I havent had this problem in the U.K. It could be because of the much warmer climate (it gets slightly hot even when i place the laptop nex to the air conditioning) or maybe a change in the voltage in this country i dunno. I need a definitive answer aswell

87C isn't too bad. The laptop is plagued with problems like that though so you can't really expect better.

hey man... i also own a xps m1530.. i have my gfx card hacked to a 8700M GT and the overclocking speeds at 625/820/1250...

i get peak temps at 92-93c and usual gaming temps are between 85-89c... this is with replaced arctic silver thermal paste and a lappy cooler, as well as the new A09 bios...

so dont feel too bad :)

hey man... i also own a xps m1530.. i have my gfx card hacked to a 8700M GT and the overclocking speeds at 625/820/1250...

i get peak temps at 92-93c and usual gaming temps are between 85-89c... this is with replaced arctic silver thermal paste and a lappy cooler, as well as the new A09 bios...

so dont feel too bad :)

Thx for the all the answers guys!

Huh...

Mine got to 89C GPU / 75C CPU / A bit too hot on top. || 75C Idle GPU / 50C Idle CPU

So I got a laptop cooling usb pad for 14 bucks.

Now it got to 85C GPU / 65C CPU / Cool on top. || 60 C Idel GPU / forgot what i got for CPU

But, this one is a desktop replacement type for now so I attached a 12V fan to the back.

Now it got to 77C GPU // 60ish CPU || 48-54C Idle GPU / 29-37C Idle CPU

Hopefully I extended its life, but I defiantly made it more friendly for my left hand.

Edited by Udedenkz

Guest Hannes The Hun

the XPS 1530 ain't exactly the laptop with the best GPU thermal management, especially when taking into account the factory overclocked GPU. 90 degrees are still more or less okay, and since nvidia is going through a nightmare with faulty G84 M parts, our GPUs will eventually die, sooner or later.

the A09 BIOS "update" tries to improve the thermal management and thus prolonging the life of our 8600GT chip, but sooner or later it will completely die and get replaced.

I still have the A08, could you tell me if the fans kick in more often/longer than before?

i'll try and answer most of these questions guys.

Yeah like you all i also have the same system. My temps. were at about 88 Oc like some of you state. But then all of a sudden hit 93 Oc and then would shutdown. (this is the BIOS shutdown temp.)

1st

I called tech support, and after dell sent a techie over to me and replaced the motherboard, heatsink/ fan my temperatures are now at 75 Oc Max... (this is without a laptop cooler, and overclocked)

Overclocked and with a 3x fan laptop cooler i sit at 71-72 Oc

Even when my system was brand new, i always got around 80 Oc... so it seems to me that dell has refurbished the motherboards new 8600gt chips.

I suggest you all call, tell them about overheating, and maybe even say it shuts down when it hits 93 Oc.. and they will replace the motherbaord etc.

2ndly

All I can see with the change from A07/8 to A09, is that the cooling fan is set to cycle on more frequently.

It's set for:

1500 rpm @ 50 Oc - which it have previously been set for 1500 at 55 Oc,

2500 rmp @ 55 Oc

3500 rpm @ 60 Oc

4500 rpm @ 70 Oc

you may also want to look at this thread, as there are similar issues and solutions stated here.

8600GT underclocking

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....art=#entry83653

the XPS 1530 ain't exactly the laptop with the best GPU thermal management, especially when taking into account the factory overclocked GPU. 90 degrees are still more or less okay, and since nvidia is going through a nightmare with faulty G84 M parts, our GPUs will eventually die, sooner or later.

the A09 BIOS "update" tries to improve the thermal management and thus prolonging the life of our 8600GT chip, but sooner or later it will completely die and get replaced.

I still have the A08, could you tell me if the fans kick in more often/longer than before?

yes, the fan does kick in at a lower temp and stays on longer, but to tell you the truth i havent seen a drastic change in gaming temps... which is disappointing... although the idle temps do seem to be about 2-4c cooler and idle temps dont get as high as they used to...

Agreed... dell has offered a 'fix' to the temperature problem to most of their laptop range, but all it does (if you have serious heat issues) is delay the inevitable.

• 2 weeks later...

Got really strange problem nowadays!

During gaming my fps is dropping after 15 minutes or so! I thought and I also saw with rivatuner it underclocks! I've done the fixes and it worked! But now even when the clocks are maximum, after 15 minutes my fps is decreasing (like the underclocking, but like I mentioned the clocks doesn't change!!!!)

Is this problem caused by thermal downclocking??? Temp is 90c (sometimes 88)

don't know why he does that!

greetz

Probably. My old go5700 did it at 92-93 C and required a reset to recover speedwise.

My 8600m gt Downclock at 70c :)

mmm

Sounds stupid! In the past I didn't had those problems!

And the other problems I still have :s

• 2 weeks later...
Guest squall0833

:)

What the hell? You guys's XPS M1530 get that hot ?

Man, my xps m1530 temps:

Bios version A08 or older

CPU idle 56c, full load 75-78c

GPU idle 59c, gaming 67-75c (some games may get higher, 75c-82c) -< 82c was the maximum i ever seen

Bios version A09 with new thermal settings

CPU idle 56c, full load 75-78c

GPU idle 54c, gaming 65-75c (some games may get higher, 75c-78c)

note: Without oveclocking

You guys got pretty high temp, better give dell a call.

• 1 month later...

ypeee! i have an answer . i had the same problem with my previous notebook MSI M677 Crystal edition . the temps were up to 93C , so i opened the vent cover on the belly and i cleaned the vent . god , i havent seen so much dust in years !lol! after that all was ok . temp back to normal 30-40 C. do it itll help. if you are afraid about opening it . you can check if your vent is blowing air out . if not open and clean it.

Edited by Pistino01

I actually have the M1530 too but with overclocking i only got max. 75 C so maybe something is wrong.

I have the problem with thermal downclocking as well. Here are my maximum temps after installing A09 and while gaming using CPUID:

ACPI: 100 C

CPU0: 95 C

CPU1: 93 C

GPU: 92 C

Okay.... nothing should be 100 C in my laptop.... THAT'S BOILING!

My system downclocks after 5-10 minutes of gaming, and goes in downclock/standard clock cycles after that.

I called DELL and told them I needed a new systemboard/GPU, and they sent out a tech with a heatsync and fan instead.

I told him it wouldn't solve the problem, but since he was here, try it anyway.

Guess what, it didn't fix the problem, but it did delay the downclock by a few more minutes, and the temps are about 2 C lower on average now, so it's a tiny bit better, but NOT fixed.

I called DELL back today, and they are now sending out a systemboard/GPU, I'll post in later to let you know the final results.

Crossing my fingers.

I have the problem with thermal downclocking as well. Here are my maximum temps after installing A09 and while gaming using CPUID:

ACPI: 100 C

CPU0: 95 C

CPU1: 93 C

GPU: 92 C

Okay.... nothing should be 100 C in my laptop.... THAT'S BOILING!

My system downclocks after 5-10 minutes of gaming, and goes in downclock/standard clock cycles after that.

I called DELL and told them I needed a new systemboard/GPU, and they sent out a tech with a heatsync and fan instead.

I told him it wouldn't solve the problem, but since he was here, try it anyway.

Guess what, it didn't fix the problem, but it did delay the downclock by a few more minutes, and the temps are about 2 C lower on average now, so it's a tiny bit better, but NOT fixed.

I called DELL back today, and they are now sending out a systemboard/GPU, I'll post in later to let you know the final results.

Crossing my fingers.

dont worry this should work. dell replaced my mobo/heatsink the first time and it didnt work. the second time the replaced my mobo/heatsink/processor and it worked. im overclocked at 685/1030/1370 and i get idle temps 56-63c, gaming 79-85c. works like a charm.

• 5 months later...
Guest Guest

WTF!!, how do u get GPU: Overclocked @ 685/1040/1370?? rivatuner only shows to me max 980 on shader memory, also im having the SAME issue with my system, altought a tech guy will come tomorrow to change the MOBO, HEATSINK, GPU AND HEAT PIPES, the only part it will not be changed will be the cpu, i will try ASAP when the tech gets all working together an extreme test with FEAR 2 at MAX settings to see if it still shutsdown, altought the tech guy that i called was sooo nice that told me if i had the issue again he will send me another tech guy to change some other things (aka cpu) :) , so wish me luck guys!!,

PS (im overclocking my gpu to 680 and 910 shader memry, what do u guys think...

Okay, I use Nvidia System Tools to overclock, which gives much more than 685/1040/1370 (which I am currently at). I have also had my mobo/GPU replaced twice by Dell, and the CPU once. Looks like they got it fixed the second time, max temps I see on any game with this overclock is 82c.

Ohh yeah and good luck, and try pushing it to 680/1040/1360 and see how that goes!

Guest Guest
Okay, I use Nvidia System Tools to overclock, which gives much more than 685/1040/1370 (which I am currently at). I have also had my mobo/GPU replaced twice by Dell, and the CPU once. Looks like they got it fixed the second time, max temps I see on any game with this overclock is 82c.

Ohh yeah and good luck, and try pushing it to 680/1040/1360 and see how that goes!

Okay!, one tech guy has just visited me and changed the MOBO (mobo n graphic card are one part), so i have two changes there but GUESS WHAT??, I STILL HAVE THE SHUTDOWN PROB..., so, as im guessing here and for ur case and other ones ive seen around the net, the processor is the problem, i have a T5750 C2D 2.00 GHZ, wich seem to have overheating probs, but anyway, im getting it changed soon, could be tomorrow, so no worries there, i just have one question for you...

What did the tech guy change at both visits, did he change the heatsink/fan part also? or was just the MOBO twice and then the CPU?... this could save me some time as i only have to tell to dell support to change only the CPU who seems having some overheat probs...

Thx very much man, is glad to see ppl who got solved this issue, cuz im getting nuts cuz of the shutdown when i play any game (without OC!!)...

Also, WICH PROGRAM do u use of NVIDIA?, should i uninstall rivatuner 2.24? what FPS do u get on FEAR 2 and those heavy games?, i want to push my BRAND NEW gpu to the top when i get the cpu prob replaced =P...

Guest Guest

Bro, i also wanna know wich driver numer do you use, officials, betas, modified ones... i use the DOX 182.05 and i cant OC via "nvidia system tools" to the clock u mention above, my screen gets f***** up with colors and i get my system freezed.., ill try the latest 179´s (official ones) and see how it goes... i hope u answer my last question... (also tell me where does the numers fit in, 680 core clock, 1040 memory and 1360 shader?..)

well i am currently using the latest DOX driver release, but ive used many other drivers as well.

as for what they replaced, it was the mobo/fan/heatsink twice, and the processor once.