LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8700 drivers and CPU usage

RebuiltJorge

Ok so I recently installed XP 32 on my dell XPS 1730 with dual 8700s, the games run really smooth, however when I check out my task manager, it turns out my graphics card driver that I got from dell takes up 30-50% of my CPU usage, this is unacceptable of course(it doesn't do this in vista, only XP), I'm having a hard time finding the any drivers to download from this site that are compatible with my situation, I can find drivers for 1000s of other cards but not the 8700, can someone please help me out.

there will be different recomendations as what driver version you should download. The driver i currently use for games is 177.73 found here.

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=19799

download the driver and modified inf file. also read the FAQ found here.

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=33

will help your installations issues.

^^True, you must experiment before you come to conclusions. And this is just the place to do it. Try those drivers stated above and if it doesn't give desired performance, try others. There are so many, your problem is bound to be solved.

ok thank you so much, however, CPU usage is still at 30-50%, is this normal for xp, like I said, with vista, I have never encountered this problem

On idle?

im running XP pro SP3, and my unit sits at around 3-4 % at idle. (5% when i move the mouse) Gaming usually hits around 30-60% depending on intensity. word processing is around 15%

I would think you most certianly should not go above 5% at idle.

EDIT: You have tried official dell WHQL drivers? they might have different options. or perhaps even other companies WHQL drivers that support the 8700 Sli options.

If that does not wor,... now this wont fix your problem. (at least not as far as i know) but an application called 'RMclock' can be used to make you processor run at full speed all the time. can even set the voltage you want to run. Try using this application, and untick all options in the processor menu. this should stop the throttle and keep it at 100%

like i said i don't think this will solve the problem, but hey... it just may do.

Agreed 100%. Something is definitely wrong if idle cpu usage is above 5-8%.

wow, i just tried playing a couple games like COD4, and they run sooo much faster, it is almost like I have a different computer computer completely, screen resolution at 1920 x 1200, AA at 4X, and Shadows on, runs like a dream, before this driver, i had to put at 1600x1200, no AA and Shadows(even then the FR was questionable), with Vista 64, I couldn't even have 1600x1200, the XPS 1730 has just stepped to an Elite gaming machine in my eyes, I definitely agree something is still wrong, I will look into the drivers you mentioned, thanks to everyone helping me out,