LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600M GT Gaming Driver and Problems

Guest ODST05

Guest ODST05

Hey,

I have an MSI GX700 running vista home premium with a 8600M GT inside. At the moment I have the 7.15.11.5680 driver installed - I got it from this site about a year ago. When I play some games (World in Conflict, Black and White 2, GTA:SA and others) it freezes, goes black and then after about 15-20 secs it works again.

When I exit to the desktop, a pop-up down the bottom right comes up (yellow like the windows update pop-up) and tells me "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." Other times I am halfway through a game and it freezes, crashes and a box comes up saying "xxxxx game has stopped working and has had to close. Gathering requred information..." and then a microsoft error reporting box comes up.

If this is a driver issue, what would be the best driver for me to use? I mostly play games, but every now and then I watch a movie.

Cheers

You have the (in)famous Vista TDR problem. You should try updating your drivers to the latest version, 177.79. This will most likely fix the problem. Also, it will enable you to use the new GeForce PhysX system, which was just enabled on the 8600m GT yesterday.

It is an API which is used to accelerate physics in supported games. Right now, Unreal Tournament 3 with the PhysX Mod Pack is the most popular (if not only) one.

Guest ODST05

Ok, I just ran a benchmark in World in Conflict and the results are terrible... On the old driver I could get avg. fps of 25-30. With the new driver and lower graphics settings, the avg. fps is down to 10-15. Is there another driver I can try?

Cheers

Don't worry we have all experienced this problem at one point or another, easily fixable by using different drivers. Your best bet are the newest ones.

Guest onionzai

i had downloaded the latest version 177.79

But when i install , the program prompt that it cannot locate any driver that are compatible with my current hardware.

How to fix this problem?

Currently im using Dell Inspiron 1720 with 8600M GT

you need to download the 'modified inf' file as well. then copy the file to the driver folder, overwriting the existing one.

then run setup

try 177.73 its runnning very well for me on XP

Guest ODST05

I've now tried the 177.79, 177.73 and 167.58 drivers and they are all not getting as good framerates like the last one I had (World in Conflict is the only benchmarking tool I have, as it would take a day or two to d/l 3dmark06). So far the 177.79 is the best performer - is it possible to overclock the gpu using this driver? What would be the best driver to overclock with? How would I overclock/what are some safe limits? I'm not too good with this kind of stuff... I know you have to use gpu-z and rivatuner but I don't know how.

Any help is appreciated heaps!

to overclock use rivatuner, but stay in 65 70ºC on core temp (in games) but remember, you can't see your memory temperature only Core temperature... don't push you memory much, 10% 20% only

177.79 with physX droped my score in 3dmark to 1.8k (without overclock 3.5k, with overclock 4.4k)

Guest ODST05

At the moment with no overclocking the tempereature in gpu-z is between 68-72ºC when playing a game... Would I still be able to overclock without damaging the card? I've been reading other threads and people have been overclocking up to 80-85ºC.

• 2 weeks later...

The 177.xx series also works for O/C, and it is definitely faster than the 169 series.