LaptopVideo2Go Forums

The REASON for the Vista Black Screen

TC Ozman

Alright...for anyone who cares or is having the same problem that i had with Vista Ultimate giving me a black screen after installing any video driver with my 8600m gs here is the reason.

1. UPDATES...there are numerous updates that need to be installed before using Video Drivers that are not WHQL certified in Windows Vista. Im not sure exactly which update package from windows that actually addresses the problem but after updating with every possible kb pack (even at the point where service pack 1 is released) WHQL uncertified drivers can now be installed with NO issues. EXCLUDING 169.09 DRIVERS IT ACTUALLY TELLS YOU THAT A SPECIFIC GAME WILL NOT WORK FOR IT, i cant remember which game but ill repost later to say exactly which one.

2. If you are in fact unable for any reason to update your windows vista o/s and you have an 8600m gs the proper driver to use is here Vista 32-bit 8600m GS driverWHQL certified , original INF file includes 8600m GS

This should take care of the Vista Ultimate Black Screen issues that plagued me for over a month (mainly because of laziness and the fact that i have WAY to many games... xbox360, wii,ps3, and a ton of pc games running on xp mce sp3 like orange box, crysis, ETQW, COD4, AA, Gears of War)

Edited by TC Ozman

I get that black screen too near the end of my driver install on my Vista Ultimate SP1, but the driver installs ok if you wait until there is no more disk activity and you then hold down the power button to kill the machine.

-J.B.

I get that black screen too near the end of my driver install on my Vista Ultimate SP1, but the driver installs ok if you wait until there is no more disk activity and you then hold down the power button to kill the machine.

-J.B.

What id recommend doing is to try and use NON MODIFIED inf files. In other words find a driver from lv2g that is solely for your video card that is whql certified and you may not have the black screen anymore

Edited by TC Ozman