LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Final Fantasy XI and 9500M GS

Nak

Hi everyone!

Well i have been reading a lot of posts on this forum the past days, searching for answers and similars problems.

It seems a lot of people have problems playing FFXI on their laptop and i am now also in the same case... i just bought a laptop for <almost> only FFXI purposes and i am really disappointed to see those constant 3-5 FPS added to the freeze occuring every 2 seconds.

This is my laptop:

Acer Aspire 6920G

Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 2.00GHz

4Gb DDRII of RAM

nVidia GeForce 9500M GS 512Mb TurboCache

250Gb HDD

I went to every concerned official website looking for infos etc (POL, Acer, nVidia...) but nothing helped at all... Phoenix tool says that my 167.64 drivers are up to date.

Is there actually a "patch" or something to correct this? (I really doubt but i must ask!)

Should i install a different driver for my 9500M GS?

I am willing to downgrade to XP if nothing can correct my problem though i wouldn't know which driver to install for a 9500M GS under XP... but would XP actually fix the problem?

Any advice is more than welcome!

Thanks in advance for your answers^^

basically you will need to try out additional drivers. I don't have any experience in FInal Fantasy, so not sure what driver is good for that.

But maybe 177.66, 177.73 or 174.74. Read the FAQ section for information on how to install these drivers using the 'modified inf' file.

Ok i am a noob with manipulations such as the ones everyone do on this site but i finally found and correctly installed the 177.66 which drastically increased FFXI's performances, i am going to test the other ones and maybe up to 177.79 and see which one is the best.

Result is not as good as it should be but FFXI became playable.

Thank you Wook^^

I am done testing the 3 you gave me but apparently the most stable driver is actually the 177.79 which is the latest one. Anyway, i hope SE and/or nVidia (please, if you read me...!) fixes this soon^^

Thanks again for your help :)

I play FFXI on an 8400m GS w/ 174.31 driver. Where do you get the slowdown? Do note that every computer in the world will slowdown in towns with even a handful of people on screen. This is because FFXI's bandwidth is bottlenecked on purpose to maintain 'fair balance' with the PS2 version. Places like Aht Urgan/Whitegate and Jeuno will always run crap :)

When i was using Acer's drivers i was lagging even in my MH... come on lol

If you are not running the latest DirectX update from Microsoft, I would recommend installing that, too. In the past, it has increased my performance in all DX games.

How do i know if my version is the latest one? All i know is that it is DirectX10.

Thanks

There are actually specific driver sets optimised for Final Fantasy XI, and recommended by SquareEnix.

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_FinalFan..._downloads.html

I use 174.31 though,since modded inf's cause downclock for me. Previously, 169.17 was the 'recommended' driver for Final Fantasy XI.

Edited by Shakey_Jake33

I only see links for Windows XP32 and 64bits and I am on Vista32 :-(, but thanks though

^Just get the Vista version from here, it's the same driver! 174.31 is nice enough for me though.

Does any1 tested a Driver for a 8600m GT 256MB on Vista32 Ultimate for the best FFxi FPS resuluts !? I would be happy if some1 would split his expirience with me ! Thanks alot and sorry for my horrible english :)