LaptopVideo2Go Forums

xps m1730 Help needed

n0thing82

I'm new to this site and new to this whole world in general. I wanna learn more about all the different drivers and programs and what they all mean, i was just someone could recommend some things for me as far as what drivers might be good for my computer and what things i might wanna do to increase performance. Thanks, and especially thanks for anyone who decides to give some input!

Specs:

SLI nVidia 8800GTX

Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad Core X9000

4gb RAM

Windows Xp Pro Service Pack 2.

DxDiag:

System Information

------------------

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_qfe.070227-2300)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: MXG071

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A06

Processor: IntelĀ® Core2 Extreme CPU X9000 @ 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 3262MB RAM

Page File: 531MB used, 4614MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

-------------

Thanks again! I just really wanna maximize performance, I heard of 3D Mark so I think im gonna get that and test it out once im all set. Also I have some games to test it out on. Crysis, Doom 3, CoD4, Unreal tournament and a few other higher fps games.

I am a professional counter-strike 1.6 player so I've never really had to worry about fps :) .

First off I want to say you have one hell of a computer l! Anyway, having the hardware is one thing. Having appropriate drivers can make all the difference. Try the newest drivers with the modded INF and the latest physx drivers and you should be set for a fantastic gaming experience. Good luck!

First off I want to say you have one hell of a computer l! Anyway, having the hardware is one thing. Having appropriate drivers can make all the difference. Try the newest drivers with the modded INF and the latest physx drivers and you should be set for a fantastic gaming experience. Good luck!

What is a modded INF? :)

it's what this site is all about. It is a customized form ofvthe INF or sort of configuration file that comes with a driver. You can find it just beside the link 'download driver'. How to install: replace the INF in your driver' directory with the new one, copy and paste basically. And that's all you need to know abt the modded INF.

it's what this site is all about. It is a customized form ofvthe INF or sort of configuration file that comes with a driver. You can find it just beside the link 'download driver'. How to install: replace the INF in your driver' directory with the new one, copy and paste basically. And that's all you need to know abt the modded INF.

I dont even know what an INF is, unless it stands for something that is very obvious im not aware of the meaning.

INF. Stands for setup information file and is required for the driver' to setup properly.

That is a beast of a computer... nice!

Go to this link.

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=20087

1) Download the driver, and 'modified inf' file

(I'm assuming you have 32 it and not 64-bit)

2) Extract the driver to a folder, like you would normally.

3) Copy and paste the 'modified inf'** file to that same folder. when prompted to overwrite select yes.

Thats basically it.

Run setup.exe and you can install it.

golden!

** inf file as andrew stated, is an information file. It contains all the information that your driver will do for your device. Essentially it adds suport for mobile video card/s, and may tweak a few other mobile settings. (too many to mention)

Without the modified inf file, the driver will only be abe to be installed on desktop video devices.

If I were you, I would upgrade to a 64-bit OS. That way, your OS will be able to see all of your RAM.

i must agree... i JUST upgraded to a 64 bit os... it seems more stable and the extra ram has made quite a difference in gaming performance.

i must agree... i JUST upgraded to a 64 bit os... it seems more stable and the extra ram has made quite a difference in gaming performance.

How much would it cost to upgrade to a 64 bit OS?

If your laptop came with a license for Vista Ultimate (which my 1730 did) you can just grab a Vista 64 media disk and use the same key (not sure about the other versions of Vista).

You might want to read up on tweaking Vista as well, there's allot of rubbish services to uninstall/disable to get the beast running great for games.

If your laptop came with a license for Vista Ultimate (which my 1730 did) you can just grab a Vista 64 media disk and use the same key (not sure about the other versions of Vista).

You might want to read up on tweaking Vista as well, there's allot of rubbish services to uninstall/disable to get the beast running great for games.

yes... if you use Activation Backup and Restore (ABR) which is completely legal, it basically takes the activation files from your current os and places them in your new installed os...

it works when crossing from 32bit to 64bit... but im 99.9% sure it wont work with crossing versions... so if you have ultimate, stay ultimate...

thats what i used and it worked perfectly...

so you can grab someone else's 64bit vista os disk and use that... or find other means of finding a 64bit os *cough*