LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Nvidia G92s and G94 reportedly failing

Dox

Some more bad news for users with nvidia cards.

According to The Inquirer, as well as users with cards based on G84 and G86, users with cards based on G92 and G94 are also defective as well.

I'm not sure whether its the WHOLE batch of GPU's thats defective or some of the batch thats out in the wild.

So far:

G84 and G86 = 8400M, 8600M and 8700M etc (as well as desktop cards based on the same core)

G92 and G94 = 8800MGTX and 9600GT (desktop card).

So this (although not conlusive) may explain some problems users are expriencing such as:

1) Random BSOD/ system instability

2) Downclocking of GPU's

3) excessive Temps

.... that cannot be solved.

Here's some useful links and suggestions:

Support Section of the Forums -Please do post your troubles and solutions and the community will help!

FAQ -Before posting in the support section please do take time to read this section

Dell Bios Updates -These are for users with G84 and G86 cards

Clevo 8800MGTX downclock fix -This may help and I actually have used this fix as well

and most importantly do not worry, the cards that are affected are relatively new and may still be under warranty for you to sort out with your seller.

Also I recommend you contact your seller for any updated system bios and video bios.

Nvidia G92s and G94 reportedly failing

I have found problems too, damn nvidia they should be ashamed, we pay good hard money for quality. This is a joke, I hope Toshiba follows too with something or else I'll never buy from them again.

this really sucks. i worked hard to buy my laptop. And i made sure to get a dedicated nvidia card so it would run my games. now all i have is an expensive college laptop. i will never purchase another nvidia card again. Ati here i come

Question:

I just saw Toshiba has a new driver

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...;all_docs=false

ersion: 7.15.11.7605

Size: 63,363,960 bytes

Posted: 08/08/08

Released Date: 08/08/08

Applicable Categories: Display, Driver

Operating System: Windows Vista

Package: WinZIP self-installing ZIP file. Can also be unZIPped using PKUnZip 2.04g or equivalent.

File: driver_video_nvidia_32_os2008236a.exe

Should I stick with 177.83 or should I go for this one, please reply. Thanks.

damn this is certainly going to turn a lot of ppl over to ati.

Not me. I am a diehard Intel fanboy, and therefore wouldn't give as much as a cent of my money to A Major Defeat (AMD).

true. There will remain the faithful but for people who think that their only alternative to this problem is to go over to the other side will do so in a heartbeat.

What a big lol.. I feel like I want my money back.

I think that Nvidia should set aside alot of $$$ to buy the next-generation equivalent videocard for the owners of all affected cards.

Yeah i could do with a shiny new 9800M to replace my 8600M GT

I've been checking around to see if i can upgrade my graphics card, but i read that this isn't possible cause the card is attached to the mobo, is this true..? I got a Qosmio made in 2007, let me know.

Once a card is integrated it can't be replaced.

So..... my 8800M GTX had been suffering from downclocking in the past... doesn't now... would that mean it is defective ? Any way of knowing for sure ? And what would be the solution ? Should I contact Sager / XoticPC (my reseller) ?

Yea, I would contact the reseller first. Trying to deal directly with nVidia would just lead them to tell you the same thing, and helps nVidia deal with stuff better too. I would think that your reseller could send you at least another new MXM or PCI/X card, if you're lucky enough to not have one integrated into your mainboard.

If one is integrated into your mainboard, then you're FOR SURE looking at a full return for servicing of your desktop/laptop. At least, I haven't heard of an OEM or Retailer that allows the customers to swap out their mainboards. :)

Yeah i could do with a shiny new 9800M to replace my 8600M GT

I meant a more equivalent card, like the 9600m GT. (Which, by the way, is still more powerful than the 8600m GT.)

Beats 8700M GT also by a small margin.

With some O/C, I can easily make my 8600m GT perform like an 8700m GT. That is the advantage of having a card which is based on the same core as one which runs at a faster clock rate.

...and I can go still 20-25% further with my 8700 equivalent...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I was hoping if you could please give me some advice before I contact the company that fixes toshiba products.. I'm gonna send it in and was planning in complaining about my 86gt downclocking, i was wondering what my rights are since i got a 2 years guarantee and also if they cant upgrade the card? They got a new Toshiba G50 coming out too which will cost much, much less then what i paid beginning of this year for G40-126 PT, EU - I am actually disappointed with them, they sold it way too expensive, i.e. 2, 800 euros. Now with this downclocking what rights do i have if you know? thank you in advance.