LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Can a 8400M GS be upgraded?

glen

Hey there!

I was wondering if it would be possible to replace my 8400M GS on my dell Vostro 1510. I've done a lot of searching, but havent found the answer yet...

Thank you very much for helping me :)

Edited by glen

Unless the 1510 can come with a higher graphics card (and I don't think it can) then you will probably not be able to upgrade.

You probably won't but there is a slight chance it may.

Greetings!

As noted by many here maybe... maybe not.

The best bet would be to call Dell directly and try to get a straight answer.

Another option would be to take it to a local shop and ask them about upgrading. In my town there is a sweet place that does custom built laptops and I'm sure they could tell you. Granted I don't know how common customized laptop builders are....

You might also want to keep in mind warrants and stuff. IDK how all that junk works.... but if you are big on all that be careful. I just don't want you to take it to a local dealer and then find your warranty voided or something if they upgraded it and Dell wouldn't.

• 3 weeks later...

Check out this link and see if your motherboard or model is on here, it will tell you if it's compatible. If it's not on the list most likely it can't be upgraded. I own an hp with a 8400gs and it can't be upgraded I doubt yours will be able too. Also if you really want to know for sure if its not on the list. Contact them at info@mxm-upgrade.com and ask they can give you a definitive yes or no. Course you could always gut it and get a new motherboard with the nvidia 256 or 512mb mxm chip...That would be a whole lot of work. Are you trying to game on it, or what? If its too slow, you could try riva tuner if its properly cooled, and OC it a little bit you might bump up performance a little.

Check out this link and see if your motherboard or model is on here, it will tell you if it's compatible. If it's not on the list most likely it can't be upgraded. I own an hp with a 8400gs and it can't be upgraded I doubt yours will be able too. Also if you really want to know for sure if its not on the list. Contact them at info@mxm-upgrade.com and ask they can give you a definitive yes or no. Course you could always gut it and get a new motherboard with the nvidia 256 or 512mb mxm chip...That would be a whole lot of work. Are you trying to game on it, or what? If its too slow, you could try riva tuner if its properly cooled, and OC it a little bit you might bump up performance a little.

LINK HERE http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/Table.html

my bad hahahaha.