LaptopVideo2Go Forums

177.89 is out

mobilenvidia

One day old drivers only 2 days after the 83's :)

These are meant for Open GL 3.0, you will need to download the additional app (see bottom of post)

Operating System: Windows Vista 32bit

Driver Version: 177.89

Driver Date: 2008-08-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)

Driver Size: 33.52 MB

Driver Released by: NVIDIA - OGL 3.0

MS WHQL Certificate: False

Setup Files Included: True

International Files: True

Vista x86

Vista x64

WinXP x86

WinXP x64

Driver 177.89 - Open GL 3.0 - Siggraph 2008

The Windows 177.89 Drivers available via the links below, released during Siggraph 2008, enable the latest features including OpenGL 3.0 support.

This special page allows direct access to the new drivers for Siggraph attendees -- the drivers will become part of the standard release NVIDIA Graphics drivers in the days immediately following.

To enable/disable OpenGL 3.0 features, please use the latest nvemulate tool.

OpenGL 3.0 beta driver release notes

This driver is aimed at developers to start coding to the new OpenGL 3.0 and GLSL 1.30 features. These features are not enabled by default. They can be enabled using the nvemulate utility, as described here: http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nvemulate.html

You need one of the following graphics cards to enable the OpenGL 3.0 and GLSL 1.30 functionality.

Desktop: GeForce 8000 series or higher; GeForce GTX 260, 280; Quadro FX 370, 570, 1700, 3700, 4600, 4700x2, 5600

Notebook: GeForce 8000 series or higher; Quadro FX 360M, 370M, 570M, 770M, 1600M, 1700M, 2700M, 3600M, 3700M

This driver implements all of GLSL 1.30 and all of OpenGL 3.0, except for the following functionality:

* One-channel (RED) and two-channel (RG) textures

* Mixed size FBO attachments (mixed-format attachments are supported)

* The Clearbuffer API

* Windowless rendering support (We suggest you use GPU affinity instead)

* Forward-compatible context

* Debug Context

This driver exposes the following new extensions:

OpenGL 2.1 extensions:

ARB_vertex_array_object

ARB_framebuffer_object

ARB_half_float_vertex

OpenGL 3.0 extensions:

WGL_create_context

ARB_draw_instanced

ARB_geometry_shader4

ARB_texture_buffer_object

WGL_create_context

The OpenGL 3.0 and GLSL 1.30 specifications can be downloaded here: http://www.opengl.org/registry/

For any bugs or issues, please file a bug through the developer website: https://nvdeveloper.nvidia.com/

177.89 Downloads, Available 13 August 2008

* [Download for Windows XP (32-bit)]

* [Download for Windows XP (64-bit)]

* [Download for Vista (32-bit)]

* [Download for Vista (64-bit)]

* nvemulate home page (needed to control OpenGL 3.0 features)

NVemulate

NVemulate allows you to emulate the functionality of various GPUs (very slowly) in software. In addition, you can use it to control GLSL Support and Open GL 3.0 Support.

New in this version of NVemulate:

* Support for OpenGL 3.0 and GLSL 1.30

NVemulate (.exe) Built: Aug 11 2008

Worth trying it? I'm happy with the .83s at the moment.

Is it compatible with PhysX?

Is the performance better with this one or should i stick with 83? i.e. for gaming

It is compatible with PhysX (all future drivers will be). I don't know about gaming performance.

Can someone please do a test of gaming performance between 83 and 89? let us know what the results are please.

I've seen benchmarks of these drivers recently, it's all different results but most of the people said that IQ was better, games were smoother, and some crashes in games have been fixed. Although, there might be a few bugs with PhysX not working at all for some. Only a couple of the benchmarkers said that 177.83 has more points in 3DMark06 than 177.89. But like I said, IQ was better and games were smoother. :)

I've seen benchmarks of these drivers recently, it's all different results but most of the people said that IQ was better, games were smoother, and some crashes in games have been fixed. Although, there might be a few bugs with PhysX not working at all for some. Only a couple of the benchmarkers said that 177.83 has more points in 3DMark06 than 177.89. But like I said, IQ was better and games were smoother. :)

Thank you for the reply, much appreciated!

For Vista 32bit it doest work at all, it actually messes up the system, i had to do a recovery, keep away from Vista x86 version!!

Doesnt work with my 8600m GT

Hi there, it's fixed now .. i.e.

mobilenvidia

Apologies guys, got up at a heinous time this morning (4:30am) and did this driver.

In my effort to fix nVidia's international control panel problem I made a small blunder in the INF

This has been fixed in version ; Pieter's INF version 3.265b

Sorry for the inconveniance blush.gif

I did test with two games.. Fear.. got 142 and Stalker works fine, gonna play some more and check, so far it is working for me now.

Guest -=Alex=-
Hi there, it's fixed now .. i.e.

mobilenvidia

Apologies guys, got up at a heinous time this morning (4:30am) and did this driver.

In my effort to fix nVidia's international control panel problem I made a small blunder in the INF

This has been fixed in version ; Pieter's INF version 3.265b

Sorry for the inconveniance blush.gif

I did test with two games.. Fear.. got 142 and Stalker works fine, gonna play some more and check, so far it is working for me now.

Where can I find those inf"s??

I take the repeated image quality reports with a ton of salt. Seriously, this has been claimed by anonymous people for every single damn beta leak for 8 years now.

Placebo anyone? :)

@Brent: Well actually, that's what I've read on some NVIDIA related forums and hadn't even tried 177.83 at the time when I posted it.

Now for me, I find that performance is almost the same as 175.95 for XP. Everything's stable for me, and image quality is a little better.

Edited by Shaythong