LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Black Screen of Sadness =(

csharphurts

Hi, I am having an issue with my Laptop.

I installed the 161.9 Driver I believe (not 100% sure...) and it has completely messed up my display.

At first it would just work for a few minutes and then go completely out of control by having colors flash and the screen go pixelated.

Well now all I have is a black screen on boot up. I have tried rebooting several times. I have tried using an ultimate boot CD. Nothing is working, I can't get to safe mode to use the VGA Display Adapter either =\

I have tried just doing things "blindly" but I don't know if anything is working...

(I tried booting up, and since I had to hard shutdown, I assume it would be on the "Normal/Safe Mode" selection screen. So I blindly moved up to what would be "Safe Mode" and hit enter...but nothings happening.)

Is there anything I can do? =\ I have very important information on my laptop...

Notebook Type: HP Pavilion 9500 Notebook PC

Display Card: nVidia 8600M GS

Driver: 161.9 (I THINK)

If you need anymore information just tell me.

Thank you,

CSH

This sounds like the issue of G84 death... If your laptop is under warranty, send it in immediately for a GPU replacement.

This sounds like the issue of G84 death... If your laptop is under warranty, send it in immediately for a GPU replacement.

Anything I can do if it's not? The warranty was for 1 year and is up =\

Oh god plz tell me it's not dead...PLEASE...there's gotta be something =(

Anything I can do if it's not? The warranty was for 1 year and is up =\

Oh god plz tell me it's not dead...PLEASE...there's gotta be something =(

Take it in to a local dealer and have them look at it.

I'm sorry but expect the worst.

Personally, I think your GPU is dead, hopefully the rest is inact and that is all you have to replace. Sorry.

Of course, replacement with a comparable GPU wouldn't be that expensive since the 8600M is getting to be older tech.

Sorry! I hope I'm wrong!

Take it in to a local dealer and have them look at it.

I'm sorry but expect the worst.

Personally, I think your GPU is dead, hopefully the rest is inact and that is all you have to replace. Sorry.

Of course, replacement with a comparable GPU wouldn't be that expensive since the 8600M is getting to be older tech.

Sorry! I hope I'm wrong!

=( This is terrible...

Don't despair right away!

You never know.... it might be something really simple and cheap.

If you do find it is your GPU contact HP right away. It might not be under warranty, but they might be making exceptions because of all the 8400s and 8600s that are failing.

Again I don't know.... and for that matter probably nobody else here does without looking it.

So get it looked at immediately and take whatever action you have ASAP.

Good luck!

(On a side note, I've been using a 8600M for some time and using it heavily without any GPU issues. So it might not be your card at all. It is hard not to jump to the conclusion it is your GPU. But then again it wouldnt be all that surprising if it were something else).

Edited by ByronGman