LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Is 70C Safe

Miller88

My Inspiron 1520 has the 8600m GT (not on the motherboard). While in a session of Call of Duty 4 or Rainbow Six Veas I'll get it up to a max of 70C. I know getting them up around 90 is kinda dangerous but is 70 safe?

I've had the CPU to 100C once or twice...

70C is just fine for a GPU. In fact, it is somewhat low. However, 100C is incredibly hot for an Intel processor. You should probably get that checked on.

Sounds good :) . I'm still going to put some AS on the graphics card heat sync assembly.

At the time I hit 100 on the CPU I had a heat sync that was missing half of its fins. Poor heat transfer.

dang... id be worried about 100c... thats not good.

uhm i think the max temp on my cpu peakes around 90c... and temps are usually 84-88c gaming...

gpu temps peak around 93c and are usually 86-90c... thats with my defective gpu also, which is overclocked and has new thermal paste...

and idle temps for both are usually mid 50's to low 60's...

so dont worry about 70c... thats completely normal. 85-90c in gaming for a notebook seems normal but i really wouldnt want to get above that...

Edited by coolcop06

Just get that CPU heatsink fixed, and you will be just fine.

Anyone know how much it costs to reseat a heatsink if you don't want to/scared to DIY? Or something like that?

If you want to know how hot your GPU can REALLY go, try FurMark. ORTHOS is good for seeing how hot your CPU can go... both neat little programmes...

Edited by Udedenkz

The GPU temp is very good. The one you should be worried abt is the CPU temp.

I got a new CPU heatsync back in May/June and the CPU doesn't go much above 68-72 while gaming.

The bad cpu heatsync was okay when I had the 1.5 core 2, but apparently it didn't like the 2.0 core 2.