LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600m gs

Linus412

Hello. I have a 8600m gs videocard (512mb drr2), but i have low fps when playing games. like 15 fps in crysis on low details. How can i reach more fps with this card. plz help me.

greets

Linus

Edited by Linus412

that might be quite a struggle... crysis is very demanding.

you can try a driver change... maybe 177.79 or 174.74.

I have reverted back to 174.74 and will stick to it now until 180 series comes out.

next you can over clock the card and get maybe 4-6 FPS higher out of it.

Depending on what operating system you are running there are a few other tweaks you can try also.

Guest Shadow

Hi bro!Just downlaod 167.26 xp or vista drivers.Downlaod rivatuner.Than overclock to 660\1491\410!!!!And paly allmost games on max except crysis.You can combine it with medium high.Have problems write to my inbox-dubox777@inbox.lv

how do i overclock with rivatuner. im a noob in that kind of stuff. and would my laptop not be TO hot?

depends ho wmuch you overclock it, as to what temps you will get.

Riva tuner has some tabs. main/ settings/ power uers/ etc... ...

In the main tab there are adapter and driver setting.

Under 'driver settings' click 'customize', then the first setting which is 'system settings'

'enable driver-level hardware overclocking', then 'detect now'

Start at about 15% increase. example. if you core clock is 500 then set it at 575. Now you could probably go as high as 650 but i would not recomend overdoing it.

Under the adapter settings there is an option called 'hardware monitoring' (looks like a mem chip)

You can check out your temp settings using this feature.

but that in standard 2d

and when i overclock how do i turn the settings back when its not good?

and what should my temp be like? i have now 70 sometimes 80 when playing but mostly 73 wwhenplaying

Edited by Linus412

you have the following options: standard 2D/ low power 3D/ and Performance 3D.

I think the core clock on the 8600 GS is higher than that 400-450Mhz?

Check to make sure you are in the 'performance 3D' pull-down option.

500mhz. so i need to do it to 575 but is that for my videocard? and would my temp not be to high and how do i turn the overclocking off again?

I DID IT. but i do not have many fps with crysis 20 now. how far should i overclock? how much temp shoudl i get max? and do i have to ocverclock the memory also?

good to see you worked through some of the issues. You have probably done this, as its working now. But tick

"run at windows startup", and

"send to tray on close"

Yeah you can change the memory by the same amount. How hot does the system get?

click on the TARGET ADAPTER 'customize' tab and then select hardware monitoring. if the temp stayed below 80 your all good. even mid 80s is ok, but it depends on your laptop brand.

If the temp is ok, then increase the core and mem speed. increase it by 20 each time, then test to see if it playes well in the game. keep going up until it freezes, or drops back to windows saying the driver stopped responding. Thats when you know you've pushed it too far. so drop back down to the last 'stable' speed you were at.

thats pretty much all there is to it.

im getting temp of 85 when palyin but itsn ot even overclocked anymore:s? or did i just mischecked the temp previous time is it normal to have a temp of 85 when playing?

Probably yes, depending on the brand of the lappie; some may even go hotter but 85 or less should be pretty safe. Mine stays below 80.

yes but i didnt had 85 before. always 80 max. pretty weird since the overclocking i had more temp than i reduced the settigns back to default and i have still more temp... how do i reduce the temp?

when i put the settings back to 500 and i look on the harwdare monitor he says the line shows 540 core clock

• 3 weeks later...

I've actually gotten decent performance with my 8600m gs. But I just accept the fact that it's not a high end gaming gpu. I can play COD4 at around 40 fps on average, many times getting above 60, and when it's really packed down to about 20. That's with all settings on max, 1024x768 no AA, 8x AF. I play UT3 pretty darn well, but again at max settings nothing above 1024x768 will get me acceptable framerate. I use the 174.32 drivers off of HP's download site, since they are latest WHQL drivers for this OEM gpu. I've tried all kinds of drivers, including the latest 177.92. Great if you need to get nVidia PhysX through CUDA.

Same here!

I for one am very happy with my 8600M GS. UT3 runs extremely well indeed, as do all the Source games. For crysis, you can download a config which is for 7900 and 8600 GPUs. It makes my crysis look good and be pretty playable. I use the 177.83 drivers for this card which are good for performamce and temperature.

You can download the config here : http://www.crymod.com/filebase.php?fileid=2158&lim=0

@linus412

whats the model of your lappy? try looking at your manual what are its operating temps, if your far from the maximum, then its ok

i guess you should try getting some cooling solutions like a good laptop cooler pad or something...even aiming an electric fan helps alot :)

anyway, its a must if you want to OC your hardware

I get 7700 3dmark 2003, 4700 3dmark 2005, 2700 3dmark 2006 (rough averages). That's at stock clocks/temps (500/1100/400 60c max load) and nvidia settings set to 4xAA, 8xAF, MS enabled. When I DO oc, it gets me roughly 10% increase on all 3dmark scores. I've been successful at pushing this system to 550/1620/450 80c max load. Funny, the shader clock goes insanely high, but the core clock won't go any higher than 550. And although it gets up to 80c it runs as stable as can be. But I'm sure I shouldn't be running that high:)