LaptopVideo2Go Forums

256mb 8600m GT Heat Question

Guest Karrde

Guest Karrde

Topic says it all. How hot is too hot for an 8600m GT? Anyone have any idea what avg temps are? Idling mine tends to hold at about 50-53. It'll hit 73ish under serious pressure from TF2. Considering the newly updated story regarding the thermal problems of nvidia cards, I'm a touch concerned. This laptop is less than a year old and i need it to survive another 18 months. Anyone have information in this regard. Especially as to what temps are dangerous for the system. Thanks!

It depends what brand you have.

I know most dell models run in the mid 80's, where as Asus and Acer run in the mid 70's. (These are generalisations) These are all considered 'safe' temperatures to be running.

You should check with your laptop manufacture to see what they say, or similarly wait till someone with your system posts a comment.

If you are concerned, open up the back and clean the dust out. Be careful not to blow air into the system as the dust will go inside your laptop. (Take the fan off, and blow air out of the heat sink.)

My laptop:

53-56 Oc @ idle

73-76 Oc @ games

Nvidia state that 120 Oc is the 8600 GT thermal safe point. But I know on my laptop, that anything above 93 Oc restarts my system.

Guest Karrde
It depends what brand you have.

I know most dell models run in the mid 80's, where as Asus and Acer run in the mid 70's. (These are generalisations) These are all considered 'safe' temperatures to be running.

You should check with your laptop manufacture to see what they say, or similarly wait till someone with your system posts a comment.

If you are concerned, open up the back and clean the dust out. Be careful not to blow air into the system as the dust will go inside your laptop. (Take the fan off, and blow air out of the heat sink.)

My laptop:

53-56 Oc @ idle

73-76 Oc @ games

Nvidia state that 120 Oc is the 8600 GT thermal safe point. But I know on my laptop, that anything above 93 Oc restarts my system.

Thanks for the info. I'm just concerned since I'm starting nursing school and was kinda planning on having this thing survive ubntil I can build a proper rig. But man, if NVidia's gonna keep this up, I'm gonna have to go to ATI. Any thoughts on laptop cooling pads and effectiveness?

For my Dell vostro 1500, 8600M GT 256MB, :) it downclock when temperature reach 70 - 71 C??

Any tweak in BIOS can help?? :)

Guest Karrde
For my Dell vostro 1500, 8600M GT 256MB, :) it downclock when temperature reach 70 - 71 C??

Any tweak in BIOS can help?? :)

Well, they released a bios update, but it's not really a fix. All it does is make the fan run more. The core hardware problem is still there. I'm just trying to come up with a longer term fix that will stave off my GPU death long enough to get through nursing school. Basically, from the looks of it, the 8, 9 and some of the 7 series have critical flaws and if nvidia gets stuck holding the bag, they might go out of business. I'm going to be checking my service plan/warranty stuff tonight to see if I can do anything or if I'm just screwed if it dies.

Those temps are nothing to worry abt and are very typical for your system. It's always a good idea to keep an eye on your temps if you plan to oc though.

yea dont worry about those temps...

my temps overclocked with replaced thermal paste are:

56-66c idle.

and 86-89c gaming, with peaks up to 93c.

id say as long as your idle temps arent over 70c, and your peak temps gaming arent over 95c then your good...

yea dont worry about those temps...

my temps overclocked with replaced thermal paste are:

56-66c idle.

and 86-89c gaming, with peaks up to 93c.

id say as long as your idle temps arent over 70c, and your peak temps gaming arent over 95c then your good...

dell released finally a driver for XPS M1530!

gonne see what's changed

greetz

as already stated: The BIOS revision from Dell changes the fan cycle up temperature. its set for 5 Oc earlier. This is most certianly not a fix.

There is nothing much in the BIOS.

You could change speedstep. this will down clock your CPU, and will cool your system by about 20 Oc.

Its a trade off. If you want cooler temp. then you need to downclock your GPU and CPU. But if you want performance, then you will be overclocking, and getting hotter temps as a result.

Its your call.

Karrde: Your temp. seem fine. Don't worry about it.

If you want to get better performance out of windows, then open press "start" + "r" type msconfig

Then disable some startup applicaions and a few services.

My first look at the driver released by dell is that my system cools faster after gaming!

My max temp is still 90c

greetz

dell released finally a driver for XPS M1530!

gonne see what's changed

greetz

no way! WHAT THE! they never release ANYTHING for us!

hahaha. can you overclock with those drivers tho? no right??

Edited by coolcop06

I didnt see any notable temperature different during game play or idle.

Videos are better than the previous realease, as well as performance for games.

Not bad for a WHQL by dell,

This is certianly not a performance release... its still an aweful lot slower than 174.74 or 177.79