LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600m GS TV-out only works with OEM Drivers

Seppellord

Hello, my laptop is a ONE (small german manufacturer) C3402 with a 8600m gs (PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0425&SUBSYS_22D01019&REV_A1) and OS Vista Business SP1.

The oem driver came with a nvfi.inf Fujitsu Siemens inf-file.

The latest driver with tv-out working is 156.15 from FSC with that inf.

Problem: that driver has a bad performance and doesn't support 1024x640 resolution. I also can't define a custom resolution in the control panel, not even with the nvidia registry key to enable all control panel options.

But with any modded driver I install the following error occurs:

I switch in the control panel to dual view or clone mode (tv is being recognized), the tv flickers, then shows the desktop in color for an instant and then returns to black screen.

I have attached NERD-files with working driver 156.15 and not-working 176.26. I tried last one because it was FSC, but didn't work either.

And I made a clean installation for every driver, means: 1. uninstall old driver 2. Driver Sweeper 3. install new driver.

Greetings,

Sepp

LaptopVideo2Go_LogFile_Tv_out_not_working.zip

LaptopVideo2Go_LogFile_TV_out_working.zip

You are having a problem with a very common TV-out feature (bug, I think!) in the Nvidia drivers. When you enable TV-out, it attempts to detect whether you have a S-video or RCA-cable TV attached. Many times, it will falsely detect the wrong type because of a badly designed cable. To fix this problem, download this registry file and execute it. Before you continue, enable your TV in clone mode, so that you can still see the PC monitor if something gets hosed. Then, navigate to the TV-out section of the Old-style NV Control Panel. Here, right-click on your TV and click Advanced. On this screen, you will be presented with two drop-down boxes. One of them defines the TV-out format. Change this to S-Video and click OK. Your TV should immediately begin working. However, this fix is not sticky across reboots. If you wish to fix the problem (semi-)permanently, then you should take a very thin piece of wire, such as an individual strand of metal from a copper wire, and insert its ends into the topmost left and right holes of your S-video connector. Then, plug in the cord. (Obviously, I will not take responsibility for any damage you cause to your laptop by using the second method.) Hope this helps.

Thanks. I tried the old NV Control Panel Tweak, but it's TV status is disconnected, so both dropdown boxes are empty.

Even the Laptop-Display ist labeled disconnected. When I click on "detect displays" the TV and Laptop-Display disappear and the CP shows a monitor labeled "???" until I reopen the old CP and then both have disconnected-status again.

I didn't find any "force TV-recognition" button.

I tried this with 174.74 and TV is recognized in the new CP, but same problem as described in first post.

Any other idea?

Edited by Seppellord

Oh yes, thats exactly what happens to me. I think I still had an image on my TV with the 169 Driver line. But now I have switched to the 177 Drivers and have the same Issue... I will try out this reg-Patch, but: isn't there anything to be done via an inf tweak?

Hello, I found this in the CP:

[Komponenten]

nvCplUIR.dll 1.5.2000.01 NVIDIA Control Panel

nvCpl.cpl 1.5.2000.01 NVIDIA Control Panel Applet

nvExpBar.dll 1.5.2000.01 NVIDIA Control Panel

nvCplUI.exe 1.5.2000.01 NVIDIA Control Panel

nvViTvSR.dll 7.15.11.5615 NVIDIA Video and TV Server

nvViTvS.dll 7.15.11.5615 NVIDIA Video and TV Server

nvDispSR.dll 7.15.11.5615 NVIDIA Display Server

NVMCTRAY.DLL 7.15.11.5615 NVIDIA Media Center Library

nvDispS.dll 7.15.11.5615 NVIDIA Display Server

NVCPL.DLL 7.15.11.5615 NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 156.15

nvGameSR.dll 7.15.11.5615 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

nvGameS.dll 7.15.11.5615 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

If the bug is hard-coded, is it possible to use the Video and TV Server dlls from the old driver version with TV-out working?

Or is it likely, that won't help?

By the way: when you say it's hard-coded, that means FSC modifies the inf files and the driver code as well? Because they have the only drivers working for me. I know I can say that only for the drivers I tried, but they are quiet a lot.

In the original inf i got this:

[nv_G86_0]

Include = msdv.inf

The msdv.inf line isn't included in any modded inf I saw, but it's not located in the driver's installation directory. Anybody knows, what it's for?

Right at the moment I tried to connect my Laptop an TV with a S-Video Cable instead of that cheap RCA Cable I used to try it with. This way it worked fine. I also tried it with a rather expensive shielded RCA-Cable I happend to own and with that it also worked like a charm. Seems like NVidia wants to teach us not to buy any crap... Well for me that is okay. Finally its working again. Enough bang for the buck - those cables are not too expensive after all.