LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Toshiba owners look within

mobilenvidia

I'd love to test....but i think my hardware controller died yesterday and my hard drive is stuck in PIO Mode transfer only. Guess I'll have to send it in to the shop...*sigh* And things were starting to go so well...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobilenvidia

• ®®®

• Tenstrum

• ministeve

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tenstrunm do you have the Latest Intel Chipset drivers ?

If not look on my download page for a link to it.

Pieter.

Guest gondo

The 56.82's work fine with the fixed inf

Toshiba Satellite 5205-S503

460 Go 32m, 15 volt adapter

Not sure if hibernate/standby work yet, haven't tried it.

Edited by dontknow

As mentioned, 52.16 with 20.36 INF works, no blackbar.

Standby/hibernate:

-Works on AC power

-Doesn't work on battery power :)

Can anyone explain this?

Fast Fret

Guest cjdshaw

Toshiba 5100-503 (UK version)

15V power supply

GeForce4 Go 440 32Mb - BIOS 4.17.0041

15" 1600x1200 LCD

P4-M 1.8GHz

512Mb RAM

Windows 2000 sp3

Have been using Teraphy's 41.09 drivers for a long time with no problems. I tried upgrading to Pieter's 56.72 drivers to get newer games to work. They reported back that my 1600x1200 screen had a res of 1588x1200 and I got a thin black bar down the right. Also, the screen didn't come back after standby.

Thanks for putting the effort in to try to solve these problems.

Edited by dontknow

Guest cjdshaw

Just tried the 61.11 drivers INF v11.66. Still getting the black bar on the right and the control panel reporting a screen res of 1588x1200. Also, when I tried to uninstall, it complained that it couldn't find

c:\winnt\system32\nvinstnt.dll

and couldn't uninstall. I had to copy it manually from another version before I could uninstall.

Guest roms

Hi,

I own a toshiba 5100-603 as shown in my sys inf, i was using the last oem driver from toshiba (version 2.8.4.6) and i think i tried all drivers and inf's that i could find on this forum (thanks guys, you're doing a great job) except the oldest version that i couldn't find (like 43.xx)

The only one that works without the black bar for me is the 52.16 with 11.66 inf

but i report a bug in the control panel : i can't open it !! windows told me there's an error and close it ....

I will take a look at the alim tonight and report it here

I hope i'll make it work correctly 'cause i bench the best score in 3DMark2001SE i ever did (4999 without overclocking nor optimization) w/o black bar ( over 5200 with 61.11 but black bar)!

Many thanks

PS: sorry for my english, little poor frenchie :)

Hi guys!

I've downloaded 61.11 and tried the 11.66 inf. Guess what! No Black Bar! No Standby Hibernate Issue!! YAY!! :)

I do have some wierdness going on in the nVidia panel. According to it I'm using driver version 45.91 instead of 61.11. When I installed 52.16, it was listed as 52.16. I've attached a screen shot. Notice the version.

This is the way I installed 61.11:

I downloaded 61.11 from the download section. Download 11.66 inf from the Toshiba Owners forum post. Extracted 61.11 to my desktop. Copied 11.66 inf over into the extracted 61.11 folder. Went to Driver Tab. Did an update drive. Pointed it to the 61.11 folder. Update proceeded just fine. Rebooted. No black bar. Tested Hibernation. Worked fine. I then went and checked the NV Display Panel and noticed that I had Direct X 8.0 (I had forgot to upate to 9.0b after wiping out my hard drive) so I updated to 9.0b and retested. No issues.

But, I'm concerned about the version reading as 45.91. Am i using 45.91 or 61.11???

I'll also post this in the Toshiba Owners Section as well.

post-3-1084544578_thumb.jpg

Did you uninstall before installing 61.11? What might have happened was the uninstall forced 4591 to install and the 61.11 might have failed and was never truly installed.

Unfortunately, there is no way to argue with the picture posted. 45.91 looks like the driver you were running.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling/installing on top of. Everydriver and INF above 52.16 w/11.66 INF gives me the 45.91 result. I've rolled back to 52.16. Is it something in the INF??

post-3-1085074108_thumb.jpg

Guest gte804p

I installed 56.63 and still have black bar. However I notice that there is an "Advance Timing" button available to change the LCD timing, so may be someone can experiment with it and see if it can fix the black bar issue.

---

chau nguyen

Guest Dakotah

OK, I figure it's time for an update, and for once, it is actually a GOOD update! :)

I tried just about every combination that I could come up with and finally threw in the towel. :) There was absolutely no combination of drivers that I could get to work on my machine other than the last OEM drivers from Toshiba. I even tried dontknow's combination as I have the exact same machine, and even that failed.

Not being one to give up, I went out, got myself backup drive and backed up my primary HD from my laptop and proceeded with a complete wipe :P and reload of my machine! No recovery CD's, no preinstall crap, just Windows XP Pro Retail. I then started experimenting again. I started with dontknows combination of 52.16 and 11.64 inf and SUCCESS! :) Feeling pretty cocky, I completely uninstalled the driver and this time opted for 53.03 with Peiters 20.32 inf. Again, SUCCESS! I was feeling pretty sure of myself at this point, so I grabbed the latest driver available at that time (60.72), combined it with Peiter's 20.34 inf and installed away... FAILURE! :( I was totally blown away... The driver loaded and came up just fine, I was just back to the resume from standy failure where the machine would lock up tight whenever I tried to wake it up. Well, like I said, I don't give up easy :P so I grabbed a couple different inf files and reviewed what was being done... I took it upon myself to modify the stock inf file that came with the 60.72 drivers and add just enough to the inf to get it to install on my GF4 460 GO card. <_< I completed the install, rebooted the machine, and everything came up as before. With my fingers crossed, I closed the lid and let the machine go to sleep. I gave it enough time to say a couple of quick prayers... threatened the machine to within an inch of the table edge, and opened the lid. Black Screen. Assuming it was locked up again, i reached for the power button and as I did so, bumped my external mouse. To my amazement, the screen popped on, and sat there blinking at me, ready to go to work! SUCCESS! :(

At that point, I loaded up my machine with all my programs, creating restore points along the way, just in case. I was determined that I was going to load everything back up until I found the culprit that was causing the string of failures from before the wipe and reload. Well, to this day, I am pleased to announce that I have everything reloaded and running on my laptop with NO video failures whatsoever! nView is running perfectly and I even installed the Far Cry demo which plays without a hitch as well as True Crime : Streets of LA which has some artifacting issues, but from what I understand, they are a flaw of the game and have nothing to do with the video drivers...

I've tried to included a screen capture here as proof of my ramblings. I understand that doing a full wipe and reload is further than many are willing to take to get a video driver running, but it may help some of the more inclined in the group figure out just where some of the failures may be occuring and come up with a solution for many more. :P

TTFN, and thanks so much for everyone's insight!

Dakotah

dakotah@sio.midco.net

Click here if image doesn't attach Properly!

--------------------

Toshiba Satellite 5205-S703

Pentium 4M CPU 2.00GHz

1024MB DDR RAM / 40GB HDD (P)/ 60GB HDD (S)

NVIDIA GeForce4 460 Go 64MB DDR

LCD Display (1600x1200x32)

DVD-R/RW Multifunction Drive

Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 1

DirectX 9.0b

NVIDIA Driver 60.72 / modified OEM INF

post-3-10855835740_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the story :) Was nice to read.

Some questions.

You didn't use Pieters newest INF for 60.72, but a selfmade?

i reached for the power button and as I did so, bumped my external mouse. To my amazement, the screen popped on, and sat there blinking at me,
So the mouse/USB-port activity brought back the screen?? Or just the PowerButton?
until I found the culprit that was causing the string of failures from before the wipe and reload.
What was the culprit?

btw nice shiny Laptop you have. i like the speakers!

I resorted to using the selfmade INF at the time because none of the INF's that had been made by someone else worked. I assume there is a tweak setting common to all of the modified INF's that caused an issue that would not allow the laptop to wake up. The INF file that I modified had none of the tweaks, just enough modification to force the drivers to install.

Moving the mouse deactivated my screen saver (Blank Screen) which is when I realized that the laptop had successfully recovered from Suspend Mode.

I have since reloaded every program I had on the previous install except for XP SP2 RC1 which I have been reluctant to reload. None of the applications or drivers have caused the previous problem and I am happy to report a perfectly functioning laptop.

Yes, I must agree that the Harmon Kardon speakers are definately the cherry on top of the sundae of this sweet laptop. We are indeed privileged to own such quality hardware.

I assume there is a tweak setting common to all of the modified INF's that caused an issue that would not allow the laptop to wake up.

Thats the MAPOSD3.. setting that cause standby to work or not work on some machines. Took ages to find that out (thanks MiniSteve). Therefore all new INFs have the choice to add that setting (w/Standby Fix) or just leave it alone.

Another question since you have the same config as me and use a second HD (StyleBay?). Could you pls read and post here: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=930

The MAPOSD3 fix may have been found after I did all of this. I'm fairly certain that a fix had not been found at the time I tried this. I did this all a while back, somehwere around mid-april, just haven't found the time to share my experiences with everyone until now. :)

Since I have everything running so perfectly right now, it is hard to justify trying a new INF file. It doesn't look like any of the newer drivers than 60.72 show any tremendous improvements so I'm likely to be satisfied with the setup I have for now, though I am planning on rewriting one of the custom INF files into a .reg file that will allow me to add some of the tweaks and customizations that I missed out on by modding my own INF. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest emichelin

Mine is a satellite 2410-A741 (asia retail version) works with your 52.16/9.6 inf without the black bar on the xp desktop.

the adapter is a 15v one

my computer spec is

P4-M 1.8Ghz, 256MB PC 2100, 15" TFT 1024X768, 30GB with GeForce 4 420 go 32MB

BUT THERE IS WAS PROBLEM I FOUND OUT WHEN I TRIED TO TO TEST THE NEW DRIVER WITH GAMES. WINNING ELEVEN 7 DIDN'T WORK FOR SOME REASON WITH THE 52.16/9.6 COMBINATION. IT JUST STUCK ON THE START UP SCREEN AND KEPT FLASHING. I HAD TO FORCE QUIT THE PROGRAM AND WENT BACK TO THE DESKTOP WHICH WAS FINE AGAIN!

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS TO WHY THIS COULD HAPPEN AND IS THERE ANY SOLUTION TO THIS??

N.B. I HAVE DISBLED nVIEW AND DESKTOP MANAGER WHILE USING THE 52.16/9.6

WHAT MAKE IT FUNNY THOUGH IS THE 45.91 DRIVER FROM WINDOWS UPDATE WEBSITE DOESN'T HAVE ANY PROBLEM. AND I THINK THATS THE BEST AND NEWEST I COULD SO USE SO FAR USE WITHOUT PROBLEM.

THANK FOR THIS WEBSITE :) OTHERWISE I WON'T HAVE MUCH HOPE UPDATING MY DRIVERS THAT WORKS!

Hi,

I have a Toshiba P25-487. My computer runs games pretty choppy with the driver provided by Toshiba, so I have upgraded the driver to 61.xx. The games run wonderfully with the new driver; however, my DVD and video playback is, for some reason, very choppy with the new driver, a problem which never occurred with the old driver. Is there a fix for this problem?

Specs:

P4-3.0GHz

512 MB PC2100 DDR

GeForce FX Go5200 32 MB

Guest hirokazu

Toshiba Satellite 5110

Model No. PS511A-01980P

firstly, on the underside of the unit, it states "5100", but most other places, including the manual refers to the system as a "5110", this is an Aus. model machine.

secondly, that model no. is what is printed on the underside of the unit, as what is listed at toshiba.com.au and in documentation. i've checked both UK and US Toshiba sites and have found that that is equivalent to a US part number, though i could not find a US-format model no. that has the exact same specs as my machine. the closest i did find is:

5105-S702

so i guess that should be the equivalent system in the US.

what i find particularly annoying about it is that the latest display drivers on their site for my model is 28.46, the same as what the system came with.

anyhow, i've tried about a month ago to upgrade drivers, i tried a 42.30 with an [unsigned] INF file that supported a "GeForce4 440Go Medion", works fine except it listed max res. as 1588x1400 rather than 1600x1200, so there is an 18 pixel black bar on the right of the screen.

i did a system restore to restore my old Toshiba OEM 28.46 drivers to a working state, as a reinstall of them over the 42.30 did not fix the incorrect max res.

today, i tried searching for drivers again, and stumbled upon this site, installed 56.72 and got the same 1588x1400 max res. i did not test the effects of Standby on either drivers i've tried - i installed without the Standby fix, though one interesting thing of note is that if i press Fn + F6/F7 to adjust LCD brightness, the screen would flash and go funny for a split second - usually the top part of the screen is fine, and the bottom part is the worst hit, and also, music will be slightly disrupted during that instant.

here are my system specs with the drivers i tried today:

Satellite 5100

15V Power

P4M 1.4GHz

256MB DDR-RAM

60GB HDD

GeForce4 440Go 64MB

WinXP Pro (no-SPs)

DirectX 9.0b

Driver 56.72 w/ Pieter's INF 20.55

i changed a few values to make them the same as the NVTS.inf that my system was preinstalled with, while adding a couple other tweak strings though.

my dxdiag output file and the exact INF i used are attached.

i will try other driver + INF combos in the meantime.

nv4_disp.inf

DxDiag.txt

I have tried using the latest, and 44.68 which I have seen recommended yet I still have the right side black bar issue. So I am forced to keep using 27.27 (The latest/only released drivers for Sat Pro 6100 for 2000/XP released by Toshiba UK)

Can anyone give me any hints please?

Guest boris2004

i om using toshiba sat pro 6100 with 47.12 info ver 12 and no black bar :) im not going to update last drivers cos therer is black bar and speed drops

Hey guys: I have the Canadian version of the 5205 that you guys have.

I find that i'm forced to continue using 43.65 with the toshiba japan oem .inf because when i use anything newer i start having problems with any program that seeks to change the resolution to a different setting than the desktop resolution (1600x1200). culprits include GTA: Vice City and the G-Force visualizer plug-in for iTunes for Windows.

any ideas on what could cause this problem? as soon as a programme tries to change the screen resolution it returns to a minimized state in the toolbar and can't be reopened...

thanks in advance & if possible let me know whether this occurs on your system as well (itunes for windows and G-Force are available as free downloads:

itunes

G-force