LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Overclockable drivers for 8400M GS?

nosushi4you

I've recently started overclocking my 8400M GS, and I'm quite pleased with the results. I OC'd to 500/500/1000 (Core,Memory,Shader) and the temps never got about 80*C. I don't like the 169.04 drivers, though, due to slow loading times on games, and the fact that they kill my laptop's sleep mode. I tried overclocking using RivaTuner 2.09 with the 177.73 drivers I got from this site, but after I hit "apply", it reverts back to normal clocks. Can anyone here tell me the latest driver that allows overclocking (if there is any)? That would be very much appreciated. :)

There's nothing you can do abt it. Some drivers can be overclocked and some cannot.

I'm sorry, but I believe I can do something about it if I knew the drivers that could be overclocked. Maybe it's just because I'm tired, but your response doesn't seem to make any sense. I'm asking if anyone knows of any overclockable drivers that are more recent than 169.04.

I've heard good things about 177.79. Any truth to this?

It is true. There are drivers that cannot be o/c. And that includes 177.73. With my card for instance no drivers above 163.44 are overclockable. It's just the nature of the driver. But yes, I do believe the 177.79 are overclockable but you must try them first to see. You most likely will be able to overclock the 177.79 but you must experiment yourself to see which ones work for you.

i have heard a lot about drivers being 'non-overclockable' haha.. think i just made up a new word.

But I have yet to find a driver that i can not overclock.

Thats not saying i have some special technique, I think its just a combination of your GPU and the driver. For example every post i have read about the acer 5900 series can not overclock after 169.**

Maybe thats just the same for your GPU

some things to consider.

-A laptop running on batter will not accept an overclock. It will always revert back to stock clock.

- Failing to 'uninstall' a driver before you install the next, one will often leave fragments of that driver installed. This will also revert back to stock clock.. (haha couldnt resist)

I'm having trouble finding drivers for vista 64-bit that can be overclocked. Anyone know some good ones?

I'm not a 64-bit user... 'michael marley' is the man to talk to about that. He uses XP 64-bit, but maybe he'll post a comment :)

174.74 is good for me. 2 months old, but its a solid driver. Why upgrade the driver for a date stamp, when it does not perform as well!

Well, I tried 177.79 with no success. Maybe I'll try 174.74 next.

i have heard a lot about drivers being 'non-overclockable' haha.. think i just made up a new word.

But I have yet to find a driver that i can not overclock.

Thats not saying i have some special technique, I think its just a combination of your GPU and the driver. For example every post i have read about the acer 5900 series can not overclock after 169.**

Maybe thats just the same for your GPU

some things to consider.

-A laptop running on batter will not accept an overclock. It will always revert back to stock clock.

- Failing to 'uninstall' a driver before you install the next, one will often leave fragments of that driver installed. This will also revert back to stock clock.. (haha couldnt resist)

Precisely. It is not necessarily the fault of the driver that causes 'non overclockability( if there is such a word)'. Rather its a combo of both GPU and driver which I was trying to explain. Some GPU's just dont oc with drivers later than 169.04.