LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Someone please help me choose..

Luna_moonfang

Hello guys,

I'm going to buy a new laptop and choosing between HP dv5-1000 notebook series and DELL XPSm1730. I want to play a high-end games like supreme commander, Crysis, UT3 and C&C 3: Tiberium Wars. HP dv5 notebook is with NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphic card. And m1730 with duel 256MB NVIDIA 8700M GT SLI.

Is the graphic card of dv5 notebooks enough to play these high end games or should I go for M1730?? Although the memory of both of them is the same (both 512), the price is really a difference. OR is there any other notebooks good for gaming..???

I'd buy something equipped with 8800M GTX - those SLI ones are troublemakers in my opinion. Or 9800M GTS/GTX as they surface (Toshiba, Clevo etc).

I purchased an XPS 1530 with 8600 GT. its ok... plays high end games satasfactorally (with overclocking) but for me, an extra $1500 to go to the XPS 17 series was a waste of money.

If i had the chance at any and all laptops, and money was not an object... i would also go 8800 GTX or maybe 9800GT (they are pretty similar performance wise) but there are not many laptops that have this new card.

I don't reate SLi that highly either... Be careful not to add the memory together when using SLi

you may want to look here for a GPU comparison

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForc...-GT.9449.0.html

I would either get the new Clevo NP8660 with a 9800M GT or a Clevo D901C that can be upgraded to support 3 HDDs and SLI.

You can get a quad core, 3 HDDs, and add SLI later.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1017 (can read topics about the new clevo here)

Those Dell's have inferior cooling systems.

The D901C of course supports dual 9800M GTs (or GTXs for $360+ each).

A single 9800M GT is probably better than dual 8700M GTs especially in games like Crysis.

I agree that you might want to go with a 15'' laptop. This way, you can have a screen with high DPI without having a huge resolution, and therefore requiring a high-end videocard or SLI. I also agree with the others: One powerful video card is better than two less powerful ones in SLI.

A single 9800M GT can probably run UT3 at WUXGA with all settings on high and still get a good framerate. (at least in XP anyway)

id take the single 9600M GT over the SLI 8700M GT's anyday...

but personally id look for SLI 8800M GTX's if you can... that would be AWESOME!

the alienware line offers the m-15x which if you have about $2500 gives you a really nice system (8800m gtx 4gb ram 2.4ghz intel c2d and so on. Good luck choosing.

id take the single 9600M GT over the SLI 8700M GT's anyday...

but personally id look for SLI 8800M GTX's if you can... that would be AWESOME!

SLI 8700M GTs should be faster than a 9600M GT by a good margin. (although they would take up more space)

Also the 9800M GT replaces the 8800M GTXs and may be slightly faster anyway.