LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell Latitude D830: Upgradeable?

frokmar

I'm sorry, I know you must get a ton of these questions every single day. But I have to ask here because no one else can give me a solid answer.

So I bought a new Dell laptop. Latitude D830, with a nVidia 256MB Quadro NVS 140M GPU. It was the best card they offered without upgrading to a $3000 machine (which I can't afford). I figured this would be sufficient to run my games smoothly. In fact, it ran WoW beautifully with all settings maxed out.

But I'm moving over to Warhammer, and the problem is that I'm getting significant framerate stutters even in low-populated zones. Dell does not use MXM, so I'm screwed that way. Is there ANYTHING at all that I can do to upgrade this laptop's GPU, or am I screwed?

Thank you in advance!

~Frok

Well, you're right about the fact that dell does not use mxm so that eliminates the possibility of upgrade but warhammer requires graphics that your card can easily handle so i don't know why you are having problems. Are you running vista? What you can do to increase speed on games is to overclock but that isn't reccommended without a comprehensive knowledge on how to do it.

Well, you're right about the fact that dell does not use mxm so that eliminates the possibility of upgrade but warhammer requires graphics that your card can easily handle so i don't know why you are having problems. Are you running vista? What you can do to increase speed on games is to overclock but that isn't reccommended without a comprehensive knowledge on how to do it.

Thanks for the response. Yep, I'm running Vista, and I only got this laptop with 2 GB of RAM (which is probably part of the problem). I'm gonna upgrade to 4 GB as soon as the new DIMM arrives from NewEgg, so hopefully that will help a lot. Vista does a pretty good job of managing your memory, and I'm hopeful that this will smooth out any issues.

But I'm still a little worried. The Quadro card is designed for CAD programs, not gaming. A GeForce, for example, can opt to sacrifice texturing, shading, or model rendering for a moment in order to maintain a high FPS. A Quadro will generally opt to complete all of its rendering first, at the cost of FPS.

Wish I knew that before I ordered :-(

Anyways, I don't know much about overclocking, so it's probably not a good idea. I use a laptop cooling table, so I'm not terribly worried about heat, but on the other hand I don't want to fry my computer and void my waranty.