LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Halflife 2 Based Games and GeForce Go 6150

EasilyConfused

Hi folks. I just discovered these forums and I'm completely flabbergasted at how incredible this site is. Unfortunately, while I'm pretty decent at computers in general, I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to video cards.

Here's my specs:

HP Pavilion dv9010us

AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile

GeForce Go 1650, driver version: 8.6.3.8, date: 9/27/2006

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002, Service Pack 3

Here's my problem:

I've been having problems with the performance of my video card for awhile now, but it has become extreme recently. After having not played Halflife 2 since I got this computer, I was highly disappointed to discover that even with the lowest settings, Portal and Halflife 2: Episode 1 ran so slowly as to be unplayable. Having seen plenty of posts on various internet forums which claimed that people with the same video card had no problems running games with the Halflife 2 engine, I suspect that either my dated driver or the default settings on my video card (I haven't touched them) are to blame. However, I am quite overwhelmed by the number of drivers available on this site and don't know where to start.

Here are my questions:

Am I correct in assuming that if the system properties doesn't refer to Windows as being 64-bit, it is 32-bit?

More importantly, can anyone suggest a different driver or some other tweaks that could help me out?

Thanks!

That's correct about the not being 64bit part. You could try the v177.79 driver. :)

Edited by Shaythong

That's correct about the not being 64bit part. You could try the v177.79 driver. :)

Thanks for your response. I downloaded and installed the drivers, but there is no improvement in the game's performance. Perhaps the problem is not with the video card after all. Still, if anyone has any thoughts, please let me know.

Thanks.

Might sound silly, but have you tried it with the laptop plugged in? I find that when using modded infs, the GPU will downclock to lowest speeds on battery.

Might sound silly, but have you tried it with the laptop plugged in? I find that when using modded infs, the GPU will downclock to lowest speeds on battery.

Good thought, but yeah it is plugged in.

• 3 weeks later...

Go to the Control Panel and look for power options.

Once your there, turn your power settings onto high performance.

All should be well