LaptopVideo2Go Forums

What Laptop Hard Drive Should I Buy?

I'm trying to find a good new laptop hard drive.

Must be 2.5"

Here's 2 I've found:

http://www.shop.bt.com/basket.aspx?ul=1&am...roductList.aspx

and

http://store.cbccomputers.com/products.asp...tno=ST9320421AS

One is 7200 RPM and 320GB while the other is 5200 RPM and 500GB.

They are very similarly priced, so what do you think is better:

More space - slower drive, or less space - faster drive?

If you can find a 7200RPM 500GB 2.5" LAPTOP hard drive I will jump for joy :)

Thanks.

I would recommend the 7200 RPM unit. Faster rotational speed brings quite an improvement in seek time and in sustained data transfer. Also, the amount of power they use is only slightly greater than the 5400 RPM, so your battery life should not be shortened much, if any.

I would recommend the 7200 RPM unit. Faster rotational speed brings quite an improvement in seek time and in sustained data transfer. Also, the amount of power they use is only slightly greater than the 5400 RPM, so your battery life should not be shortened much, if any.

Thanks, I've bought it online already :)

Any easy ways to make a complete copy of my old drive on the new one I ordered? Or should I just keep on dragging and dropping over my 250GB external Hard Drive - which works, but I can't transfer all my settings and whatnot. I do reinstalls on peoples computers ALL the time though and it's second nature to me how to set up a new Windows install... but it could be faster.

Any news on 10,000 or 15,000 rpm laptop hard drives? :)

Thanks, I've bought it online already :)

Any easy ways to make a complete copy of my old drive on the new one I ordered? Or should I just keep on dragging and dropping over my 250GB external Hard Drive - which works, but I can't transfer all my settings and whatnot. I do reinstalls on peoples computers ALL the time though and it's second nature to me how to set up a new Windows install... but it could be faster.

You can move your total system + settings with PCmover (I've done it with success) but it costs about 45€ and takes hours. Got it free from some mag DVD, luckily. Much less hassle than to reinstall or tweak registry - but must say I had to fix registry also as I made some mistakes in the process.

You can move your total system + settings with PCmover (I've done it with success) but it costs about 45? and takes hours. Got it free from some mag DVD, luckily. Much less hassle than to reinstall or tweak registry - but must say I had to fix registry also as I made some mistakes in the process.

Great, the new hard drive just arrived yesterday and I've reinstalled my systen and things loads almost twice as fast, very good quality hard drive and would recemend it if you are looking to upgrade lol.

Well I usually save all my media on an external hard drive, the only hastle was reinstalling all my games. I'm wondering if I can turn my old 120GB Sata 300 laptop hard drive into an external USB hard drive. I hear you can mount it in cases or something like that because I'd rather not just waste a decent 120GB of memory from a small laptop hard drive. I've looked online and found cnet used some EZ hard drive transfering soft and lets u use the old drive as an external HDD, anyone know how to just buyu something that lets me use as an external USB drive.

Google search revealed this. Haven't read it thoroughly but it looks like it may help you.

Sorry, posting link now (if i can find it again)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.