LaptopVideo2Go Forums

v177.92 Windows Vista 32bit | NVIDIA

mobilenvidia

seems to be the best one for clear sky at the moment. but, i still hope for a new one to fix the slowdowns. :)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• P.J

• deathwest

• zipper

• Mushu

WHY IS NO DRIVER FOR 8400M GT???!??!?!!?!?!?!?!?! WHAT WRONG WITH THIS CARD OR MAYBE WHAT WRONG WITH NVIDIA!!!!!!!!
It's the same for all mobile users, take your laptop manufacturer drivers or take drivers here (which works with all cards)

relapced my busted v.card from alienware-m5500, after i install all the drivers and inf there was a conflict, it was saying "not enough resources", "turn off other *something*". please help me out ;;

Hey, ppl! Is there going to be a patched .inf for 177.92 BETA (released 26.08)? I desperately need this one for one particular game to stop giving me BSODs...

Btw, the .inf file for original 177.92 won't work... The installation starts and then says something like "no modifications has been made to the system, now get lost, you punk".

UPD Oooops, same thing happens with the driver I downloaded here. And yes, I'm pretty sure I have Vista 32bit (SP1). Card: GeForce 8600M GT

The same thing. Have you solved your problem already? I haven`t yet.. I tried with Driver Sweeper, with original .inf and with modded one. but go the same result - "the system has not been modified". I`ve got the same GPU and Vista32 SP1 on my lap.

Is the INF compatible with X-Treme-G version? Is this version really xtreme ?

I've installed several driver updates from this site without any problems on my HP Pavilion dv9000 (go 7600), but I think it is this driver that is suddenly causing issues. Shortly after installing the driver, my screen froze and I had a hard lock-up. Nothing could get me out of it, so I tried rebooting. The screen's backlight kicked on, but no display. The only way I can see anything is to boot into safe mode with an external monitor. There are strange vertical lines, but at least I could get to windows. I've tried rolling back the driver, installing an older driver (176.37), and doing two different system restores, but still can't get my laptop display back. Any ideas???

Booting normally gets me a BSOD that I can't read due to the lines, and then it runs Startup Repair, which never fixes anything.

thanks!

Edited by rtrowbridge

@rtrowbridge: Can you take a picture of the lines? Also you should try Driver Sweeper.

@rtrowbridge: Can you take a picture of the lines? Also you should try Driver Sweeper.

I won't be able to get a picture of the lines until tomorrow. I did get to read the blue screen. The issues were with 0x116 and nvlddmkm.sys. DriverCleaner hasn't made a difference. I am attaching the minidump file. I'm not sure how to read them.

Thanks,

Ross

Dear Ross, here's some steps I posed for using Driver sweeper in another post I've made a while ago, if you didn't, you should try doing it this way:

http://tinyurl.com/2g37vs

1. Download Driver Sweeper from the link.

2. Uninstall your current driver.

3. Reboot (Safe mode is optional if there isn't a problem)

4. Run Driver Sweeper and select "NVIDIA - Display"

5. Press the Analyse and Clean button and then do steps 3 and 4 again to make sure all NVIDIA - Display results are gone.

6. Install the driver using the modified inf by the have disk method or auto-install.

7. Reboot.

Good luck!

Dear Ross, here's some steps I posed for using Driver sweeper in another post I've made a while ago, if you didn't, you should try doing it this way:

http://tinyurl.com/2g37vs

1. Download Driver Sweeper from the link.

2. Uninstall your current driver.

3. Reboot (Safe mode is optional if there isn't a problem)

4. Run Driver Sweeper and select "NVIDIA - Display"

5. Press the Analyse and Clean button and then do steps 3 and 4 again to make sure all NVIDIA - Display results are gone.

6. Install the driver using the modified inf by the have disk method or auto-install.

7. Reboot.

Good luck!

Thank you, but that didn't work. I'm still not getting anything. I've had to put the laptop into the hands of the "Authorized" HP servicer in my area, so I'm laptop-less for a few weeks. They think it is probably hardware related, not driver related. BUMMER!!!

Guest Kum Zblj
The same thing. Have you solved your problem already? I haven`t yet.. I tried with Driver Sweeper, with original .inf and with modded one. but go the same result - "the system has not been modified". I`ve got the same GPU and Vista32 SP1 on my lap.

Did have the same problem, i've got the msi gx700 with 8600m gt, the problem was solved by removing the physx setup .exe from the instalation folder, and second time by killing the same running setup process during the instalation (that was again with physx in da folder). The driver was very buggy, changing resolution after closing the lid of the laptop, and other stupid issues, so I removed it very quickly.

Did have the same problem, i've got the msi gx700 with 8600m gt, the problem was solved by removing the physx setup .exe from the instalation folder, and second time by killing the same running setup process during the instalation (that was again with physx in da folder). The driver was very buggy, changing resolution after closing the lid of the laptop, and other stupid issues, so I removed it very quickly.

I agree with your suggestion about physx setup .exe, because the next driver i successfullly installed was 177.98 (without physx). I also downloaded the stand-alone Physx package and will try to install it later.

I think this solution worth adding to FAQ and Help. :)

Hopefully this helps someone!

Unfortunately this driver also resulted in the ruthless frying of my 8600 GS. Green dots, purple lines and blue screens gallore... It's nearly certain that the card itself is damaged since, after reinstalling certain older drivers and getting massive screen corruption or crashes, the bios and OS selection screens are also completely botched and screwy. I will be sending my laptop back to Asus (luckily it came with a 2 year global waranty as I'm barely in the second year and moved abroad).

However, since I can't be computerless and have a new notebook coming in only later this week I needed to get it to a point where I can work with it. I managed to do so, and consider myself to be relatively computer savvy (but no guru by a long shot!) so I'll post what I did:

Obviously, 177.92 wrecked the card, but logging in to safe mode worked to an extent. Screen corruption was unavoidable at that point. I uninstalled them, ran over the leftovers with Driver Sweeper and Driver Cleaner (Sweeper is much more thorough, so I'd recommend that if you only use one). Now, I might add that I run many operating systems on my notebook so I tried XP Pro which was running old 162.18 drivers and I had nearly no corruption but other obvious problems (10 second screen freezes and one sudden reboot). I then booted into OS X Leopard which had the same screen corruption as my bios during boot but suddenly ran without any problems whatsoever once loaded. I have no 3D apps or games on my Mac-installation but a cliche 3D aquarium screensaver worked flawlessly to my utter surprise. Why this is, I still don't know. Mac OS runs smoothly, shows no symptoms whatsoever and is using graphics acceleration as usual. I'll bet that would get Mac zealots ecstatic enough with pleasure to rub themselves in chocolate syrup.

To solve the Vista screen corruption problems I turned off the notebook, let it cool to around 16 degrees by just setting it outside for about an hour, where it's a lot freaking colder than it should be in the middle of September here in the Netherlands. Upon booting back up, all corruption was gone... good news. So it's partially a heat problem (although clearly the card is still damaged). I could boot into Vista normally without nVidia drivers (just stock Microsoft VGA drivers that install automatically) but that caused minor corruption very slowly over about an hour until about one in every 20 pixels was green, purple or red, making it very difficult to do any work. Cleaning drivers, installing different ones and rebooting from safe-mode didn't work for about ten drivers from the 170 series and the stock Asus approved drivers (100's). Installing normally or by 'have disk' gave differing results, usually getting slightly further with the 'have disk' method. I'm now finally running Vista with moderate desktop acceleration by giving the 162.18 XP drivers a shot with the 'have disk' method. It whines about the Cpanel and some other components after booting but I've been running in Vista for a good few hours steadily with zero corruption now, letting me get my work done, back up data and wait on my new notebook before I make a disk image and send this one off for repair. Any 3D app causes an immediate blue screen (Page fault in non page area - not really very relevant) but at least it works. I have Aero off (it's not even available), simple video works, such as YouTube but even setting that to full-screen results in another crash so even moderate interaction with the drivers other than desktop acceleration is a no-go.

I might add that in XP anything that pulls up the clocks above moderate acceleration restarts the driver in unhappy-mode, preventing it from running at high speeds again. In Vista, it seems that it just crashes the system so I'm probably safe for now doing anything at low clock levels. Underclocking is out of the question due both to the drivers (OC just doesn't work with these oldies) and tweaking usually results in a short high-speed spike which, again, crashes the system.

Edited by Smooshieus

hey guys i have recently purchased the toshiba x205 with 1x nvidia geforce 8700m gt 512mb and i have upgraded to this driver and now i seem to be getting black specs randomely across my screen in random places but only on my desktop. i have no idea what is wrong because it has never happened to me before. i have checked my core clocks etc with riva tuner and i have the card not overclocked. before i installed the driver i made sure i removed te previous driver as to not into isues and i used the modded inf. i am rather in experienced in this area but i am sure i have done something wrong or there is a compatability issue. previously my windows update automaticaly updated my driver from 101 or sumthing to 176.26 or something close to that in which i had issues with my graphics card skipping or stopping and then my toshiba flash cards stopin to work etc so i had to restart my computer so i upgraded to this driver. despite the pixels flashing black all over my screen i have experienced no further issues thank you very much =D

hey guys i have recently purchased the toshiba x205 with 1x nvidia geforce 8700m gt 512mb and i have upgraded to this driver and now i seem to be getting black specs randomely across my screen in random places but only on my desktop. i have no idea what is wrong because it has never happened to me before. i have checked my core clocks etc with riva tuner and i have the card not overclocked. before i installed the driver i made sure i removed te previous driver as to not into isues and i used the modded inf. i am rather in experienced in this area but i am sure i have done something wrong or there is a compatability issue. previously my windows update automaticaly updated my driver from 101 or sumthing to 176.26 or something close to that in which i had issues with my graphics card skipping or stopping and then my toshiba flash cards stopin to work etc so i had to restart my computer so i upgraded to this driver. despite the pixels flashing black all over my screen i have experienced no further issues thank you very much =D

hey guys sorry i axidently posted in 177.92 forum but it is still linked kind of ^^ i am currently using 177.98 and i am now currently downloading 177.92 please feel free to submit sugestions im all ears. also you guys creating these drivers are amazing i got massive improvements on fps with games like oblivion etc your doing a great job keep it up =D

Today finally for 2 months using this driver with overclock(550/450) and powermizer setting off and force constant frame rate, this driver give me BSOD on my normal document work with MS office and pdf file. I did notice some weird graphic when i refresh some screen last week :) .

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.2

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: 116

BCP1: 87951510

BCP2: 90216640

BCP3: 00000000

BCP4: 00000002

OS Version: 6_0_6001

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 768_1

Guest lollerblader

Fujitsu/Siemens notebook her with a 8600M GT. Vista fully updated.

I did a clean install(remove drivers, reboot to safe mode, driver sweeper, reboot, install with have disk method) and the control panel has vanished :O

Same problem with the 176.48 drivers.

Strange because I've used drivers from this site for years without problems.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm concerned about the driver installations. I usually know that before installing a new driver I have to start in safe mode, use "driver cleaner" and all that... last time I downloaded the 177.92 drivers, read the instructions again and there was not a word concerning uninstalling any old drivers. So I left my old drivers untouched and simply started the setup.

I thought it was new that sometime in-between they made it that an uninstall wasn't required anymore.

Well, the drivers run perfectly fine for me! Was it still a mistake not to make it the ultimate safe way?

Thanks in advance, because I often play some old games with the Baldur's Gate-engine and I need to uninstall the new graphics drivers beforehand or these games won't run. I would certainly prefer to do the install/uninstall the simple way I did the last few times, unless I was only lucky that no problem showed up.

I'm concerned about the driver installations. I usually know that before installing a new driver I have to start in safe mode, use "driver cleaner" and all that... last time I downloaded the 177.92 drivers, read the instructions again and there was not a word concerning uninstalling any old drivers. So I left my old drivers untouched and simply started the setup.

I thought it was new that sometime in-between they made it that an uninstall wasn't required anymore.

Well, the drivers run perfectly fine for me! Was it still a mistake not to make it the ultimate safe way?

Not necessarily if the driver structure is the same so everything gets overwritten. But between driver generations may be essential differences - and also whenever just so happens. So the clean way is always the safest.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you, but that didn't work. I'm still not getting anything. I've had to put the laptop into the hands of the "Authorized" HP servicer in my area, so I'm laptop-less for a few weeks. They think it is probably hardware related, not driver related. BUMMER!!!

Turns out my problem was hardware related. I have one of the HP's where the NVidia chipsgot too hot and failed. Even though I was six months out of warranty, I was able to get HP to replace the motherboard for free. I'm back up and running again. :)