LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Proper Driver for Gateway NX860XL 7900 GS Go

Guest James M.

Guest James M.

Sorry to sound like a noob, but I need to ask a few stupid questions so I don't ruin a friends laptop. I am trying to update the video driver for a Gateway NX860XL with an Nvidia 7900GS Go 256Mb chipset. The factory drivers are 18 months old (Feb07), and Gateway doesn't offer ANY updates for this (utterly ridiculous). It is running Vista Home Premiuim 32bit.

Now my stupid question is this... What do I need to do to use one of these more updated drivers? Do I need a modded inf file FIRST? or how do I go about this? I'm kind of new to the whole modded drivers thing so forgive my obvious ignorance. The unified driver for the 7900GS Go from the Nvidia site, will simply NOT install, as I get an error message saying no compatible hardware found (Gateway at it's proprietary best...UGH!) even though it is clearly identified as a 7900GS in Vista. All I want to do is get a STABLE updated driver into this thing to resolve some issues with Games crashing to desktop, without turning it into a brick, but I've had no luck with anything off the Nvidia site at all and I'm extremely frustrated...which is nothing new with a Gateway. Sorry, but I absolutely despise them now more than ever, as no updates for an Nvidia gaming class laptop is simply unforgivable.

Can someone point me on the path to getting this right?

depending on which game you will be playing will determin what driver you should install.

If they are new games, then similarly new drivers would be the best choice.

Because it is a series 7000 card, and does not have physX then the new 177 drivers with physX enabled will be a waste.

(unless they give better performance)

Everyone will have differeing views, and seeing as i dont have the same GPU as you, i might not give you the best advice on a "performance" driver. Never the less...

Try 175.63 - for me it has the best frame rate for games, of any other driver on here

Link: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=18532

download the driver. AND... the 'modified INF' file also.

(the modified INF file will stop the message "can not find compatable hardware for your devce")

Extract the driver to a folder, then copy the 'modified INF' file to that same folder. When prompted to overwrite, select yes!

Run setup.exe

done!

Hope this gives you some help.

EDIT: may also want to try the latest addition in drivers. (apparently gives up to 20% increased performance in some games)

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=20270

I have a NX860XL/go7900gs and the only games that ever crashed to desktop on me was bioshock and once in a great while assassins creed. The best driver I found for assassins creed was 176.02 but that driver wont run bioshock worth a darn (crashes to desktop). For bioshock the drivers from 171.xx to 176.xx blow on your set up (will crash). Drivers below and above those seem fine in bioshock. I have not tried the latest 177 drivers but have had good luck with them up to 177.79

Make sure to uninstall old driver and use driver sweeper before installing new one.

Thanks Wook and Cc7 I will try different ones to see what I can get, but thank you wook for the specifics on the INF file. It was the way in which to go about it I was very fuzzy on. I am mostly playing Batlefield 2, and Combat Arms (from Nexon), and my friend that owns it sometimes plays Tiger Woods on it. That's about it usually. We've been having problems with all three crashing to a desktop without warning, and the occasional error message points to the video driver as the culprit. I was simply STUNNED that Gateway offered nothing but the original factory driver which is now at least 18 months old. I just simply do not get that on an Nvidia equipped machine....that kind of lazy indifference from a company just leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. Especially for what was a $1700 Laptop brand new.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks Wook and Cc7 I will try different ones to see what I can get, but thank you wook for the specifics on the INF file. It was the way in which to go about it I was very fuzzy on. I am mostly playing Batlefield 2, and Combat Arms (from Nexon), and my friend that owns it sometimes plays Tiger Woods on it. That's about it usually. We've been having problems with all three crashing to a desktop without warning, and the occasional error message points to the video driver as the culprit. I was simply STUNNED that Gateway offered nothing but the original factory driver which is now at least 18 months old. I just simply do not get that on an Nvidia equipped machine....that kind of lazy indifference from a company just leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. Especially for what was a $1700 Laptop brand new.

I am having the same problem but on XP. 3 year old drivers for a 1.5 year old laptop are unacceptable. Gateway has got to have some of the worst customer and driver support of any company. I still have not found a solution. Installing new Geforce Go drivers directly from nvidia makes my computer extremely unstable so its not really worth it. it just makes me salivate over what I could be experiencing but am not able to due to their incompetence/lazyness. I wonder what customizations that gateway has in their driver. If i could somehow find those and leech them out to the newer nvidia released drivers I have a feeling we would have some good results.

I am having the same problem but on XP. 3 year old drivers for a 1.5 year old laptop are unacceptable. Gateway has got to have some of the worst customer and driver support of any company. I still have not found a solution. Installing new Geforce Go drivers directly from nvidia makes my computer extremely unstable so its not really worth it. it just makes me salivate over what I could be experiencing but am not able to due to their incompetence/lazyness. I wonder what customizations that gateway has in their driver. If i could somehow find those and leech them out to the newer nvidia released drivers I have a feeling we would have some good results.

• 10 months later...
Guest terystn

Hey guys sorry to jump into this post but i noticed matt said he has a nx860xl, i was wondering if you could help me get the sound drivers for a nx860xl i have one and i just put xp professional on it and none of the drivers on gateway site work and their tech support doesnt help at all. any help would be appreciated.