LaptopVideo2Go Forums

PowerDVD and Software DVD Player via TV out problems...

Guest lax01

Hi, I've just upgraded 53.04 but I have noticed this a lot with the other drivers too. The problem is, when I watch DVDs or playback MPEG1 or MPEG-2 format videos (S/VCD) with PowerDVD XP (version 4) thru the TV-out (Dell I8200, Geforce 440 Go 64 MB) on my 32" analog Toshiba TV, the picture does not fill the entire screen and I cannot get the picture to fill the screen. It always have black bars on the right and left side. Now with AVIs (XviD/DivX encoded movies) thru Windows Media Player (mplayer2.exe), I do not have this problem and the video takes up the entire screen. Is this PowerDVD problem or the drivers problem because it doesn't seem to change with the different drivers?

I've tried custom fitting the screen (under Device Adjustments) via the Nview Display Mode tab under the Advanced Properties in Display Properties but this does not even come close to filling the screen. Can anybody suggest a fix to this? or is there a better Software DVD player? I've never really had a problem with PowerDVD but recently its been very flakey with which content it plays fully in the screen.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

-Josh

Josh,

I get the same with WinDVD 5 and PowerDVD 5, just small black bars at left and right plus the usual letter box effect at top and bottom while playing DVDs and MPEGs play full screen.

This is on my top end 29" TV, using 800x600.

On my 14" using the same resolution I get large black bars on the left and right, whole display would only be about 10"

This is most like caused due to the TVs Over/underscan, a more expensive TV handles this better.

I don't think there is much you can do.

Have you played with TVtool at all, it has loads of setting to play with.

There is a link to it on my website.

Hope this helps,

Pieter.

Hi guys, I've been following the posts for a while now and have only just registered. First thing's first, thank you very much guys, for providing us with new drivers for our laptops, especially when you could probably be doing other stuff instead. Thank you!

Now, I installed a copy of the 53.04 Media Center Edition Driver modded with the 11.80 Inf from Pieter's site. Removed the EZButton Feature off my Toshiba 2430 as I've read from Sky's Posts.

Now, the problem i am running into is that the DVD player Has the black bands on the LHS and the RHS of the LCD, in some resoluton like 640x480 or some low res thing like that. When i go to the settings to change the resolution settings back to Non-automatic, it would display the dvd in the correct resolution and all. But, the problem now is that i cannot access the remote with the mouse. The cursor cannot come up no matter what buttons i press. I can press 'E' to eject..... but that's it. Can't fast forward or rewind or anything like that.

Hemorrhoid,

Try version 13.00 53.04 INF and see if this makes a difference.

Pieter.

Pieter: Thanks for the reply. The thing is, DivX and XviD files work perfectly fine and some DVDRs work but just not VCD and SVCD...its really strange...I'll keep playing around with it and post back if I have any better results...

Lax01,

(S)VCD's can be recorded in odd resolutions, this could be the reason that they dsplay oddly on your TV.

I havn't had much experience with VCDs, but I did make one once (took 12 hours to convert a DVD to VCD), I do remember there were a whole heap of resolutions to choose from depending on how small you wanted the end product.

Probably not of much use,

Pieter.