LaptopVideo2Go Forums

temperatures GPU during games

user5

Not sure how interested you are in my continued problems with the XPS 1530, but here is the latest...

4 weeks ago a techie came over replacing my mother board, heatsink and fan as my temps were at 93 Oc and would crash.

The next day the sound stopped working, and after an hour on the phone convincing him it was not a driver issue, the motherboard was replaced again. Sound then worked...

Today for the first time my system just randomly shutdown. (I was programming a flash document) Did it again when playing a game, and was monitoring temps. 77 Oc. So obviously not that hot. (But the hottest i have recored since replacement)

So i called XPS tech support and loged this issue. We ran the usual hardware tests and then the system shutdown during this test... pretty funny!! He loged another replacement motherboard, heatsink and fan.. this time a CPU as well.

(Tech support will come over tuesday/ wednesday this coming week)

He also noted that this is the 3rd motherboard i have gone through in a month and proceded to ask me what i was actually using the system for. I said I teach computer science at University and its usually just website design, programming and a little gaming if i have time.

He said that he didnt believe and said that i must be using it for intensive gaming.

Its fair to say we had quite the debate. Hmmm.. argument actually.

I got a bit abusive in return and stated that he knows nothing about computers. That the coustomer is always right and that in future he should refure to his job descripptoin and just follow his monitor for 'what to do if... occurs" You can imagine this did not go down well...

Soo.. thats what has happened so far.

I only have 3 months to go on my warantee.. anyone want to buy one of Dells PREMIUM XPS laptops?? hahah!

Yeah thats the SKU number. With the serial you can look up date of manafacture. But thats ok, looks like its working fine now ; )

Yeah thats the SKU number. With the serial you can look up date of manafacture. But thats ok, looks like its working fine now ; )

The motherboard was one with the A08 on it, so not very new!

Also a date was on the package, some date in august! Hopefully everything is gone.

I disabled powermizer now, because my highest temp is 75c, and even @high core speeds I've got 64 idle.

WHy I disabled it, is because when I monitored my clock speeds during gaming, it sometimes switched to "low performance 3D". And will cause some slight drops.

greetz

say your temperature gets really hot. the system shuts down. (not restarts) then he/ she will do a diagnostic check over the phone.. say it shut down during test. THis way you can garantee it will get replaced. ; )

say your temperature gets really hot. the system shuts down. (not restarts) then he/ she will do a diagnostic check over the phone.. say it shut down during test. THis way you can garantee it will get replaced. ; )

Said allmost the same :) ! But only I said I didn't get errors by dell utility test. So it was clear there was something wrong with my nvidia chip, because there are no tests for monitoring temperature or failure.

But the way 'wook' did is also good. Just don't do all things they want you to do!

When you get somebody on the line say following fixes you tried:

- New BIOS

- New dell nvidia driver

- Utility test

--> Otherwise they will ask you to do so, and then you lose many minutes :) if you didn't know that. Those fixes don't do anything, but yeah dell wants to do those, but they don't change the fact that you're running to hot.

greetz

• 2 weeks later...