LaptopVideo2Go Forums

My Computer Is Trying To Talk To Me

Boobtastic

Well, my computer never stops giving me surprises. Since they day I got it, I was surprised at how crappy a nVidia GeForce Go 6150 really is (understand that I was using an ATI Radeon card to which I do not know the name of because it was that old), Then (a few year later), the harddrive scratches itself, making 70 GB's of it unusable. I was able to get the perfect 80 GB for Windows Xp until HP shipped me a new one for free, those cheap bastards. Then my computer's backlight died so I sent it to them to fix it for free. And now, it's been okay except for one thing... It's been beeping. I don't know why, and it's been doing this for 6 months I believe, 2 weeks after I got my new harddrive and replaced it myself.

The Beep.

It only 1 beep, and it only beeps once for as long as it's on, and this doesn't occur at startup. It doesn't matter what OS I use, Windows XP, Vista, or Ubuntu, it never fails to beep. It only beeps when it has been on for a while, about 4-6 hours. I don't think it's heat related because Linux runs very cool on my computer. I believe it is somehow related to my harddrive because it never did it with it's old Hitachi harddrive. Now it has a Toshiba harddrive and it occasionally beeps. What is my computer trying to tell me? Is it telling me it's fine? My GPU/CPU is dying? Many transistors have failed? Help me o' mighty laptopvideo2go.com bloggers!!!

I hate when computers talk to me too. But I warn them about it and they give me their word that they won't do it again. About the issue at hand. I really don't know why the beeping is occurring and it seems to be a very strange issue that can be caused by a multitude of factors. Your only option, as it seems is to ring 'those cheap bastards' and ask for help.

Might there be some software watching HD temperature? You could use Notebook Hardware Control for instance and/or Speedfan to see if the beep is connected to certain temperature on some measuring point.