LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Free C&C Red Alert 1 from EA

Dox

Not the usual site news but here goes:

To celebrate 13th anniversary of Command and conquer

EA is offering free downloads of C&C Red Alert 1!

Old game but worth a (re)play.

Link

Sorry to hijack your post Dox, but here is some useful information.

The problems you're all having result from the simple fact that C&C originated at a time when Windows 95 reigned! :)

Here are some tips I lifted from the german magazine 'CHIP' which should help install and run C&C 1:

->Go to the "Setup95" folder. Right-click on "Install.exe" and open the Characteristics window. Open the "Compatibility" tab and change the mode to "Windows 98 / Windows Me". Then click "OK". A double-click on "Install.exe" should now start the installation. But be careful!

->Remove the checkmark from the box which installs the [now ancient] DirectX 3.0 video & audio drivers!

->Now after the installation has finished a patch for XP/Vista must be applied. Find the "XP_Patch" folder. Unpack the compressed patch file "RA108USP.exe" with a double-click. Mark the two files "Patch.exe" und "Patch.RTP" and 'pull' them into the "Red Alert" installation folder. Start "Patch.exe" to perform the patching. Both files can be deleted thereafter.

-> Now find the "RA95.exe" file and open its Characteristics window. Again open the "Compatibility" tab and change the mode to "Windows 98 / Windows Me". In the Settings frame set options 2 & 3 for XP, or 2,3 & 5 for Vista.

That should get you up and running. Be sure to slow down the mouse speed before setting off to new adventures [scroll Rate under the Options Menu].

Enjoy!

Edited by Darmdorf
Thought this should be of interest

I can't get this to install on XP64 :) The installer itself just won't play fair with 64-bit operating systems.

Hopefully, 13 years from now, we could probably download Crysis for free.

Surprisingly, works on Vista.

its a 16bit App thats why 64bit aint cutting it

The minimum OS requirement is Windows 95. This probably means that it is a 32-bit program, but being so old, it is likely to have a 16-bit installer. I would try unzipping the installer (if possible) or installing on a 32-bit machine or virtual machine and copying the game files to the 64-bit machine.

I was just playing at return to castle wolfenstein last week.

This is my "rememberance" time! :)

thanks for sharing the info

The minimum OS requirement is Windows 95. This probably means that it is a 32-bit program, but being so old, it is likely to have a 16-bit installer. I would try unzipping the installer (if possible) or installing on a 32-bit machine or virtual machine and copying the game files to the 64-bit machine.

100% workin advice =)

btw all C&C ghamez r awsome! alot of memories & ghud taim it geivz 2 meh =)

lol C&C FTW (by Westwood Studios at least... i hate the ones done by EA)... (looks at the 3 copies of The First Decade in the corner)