LaptopVideo2Go Forums

v177.98 Windows Vista 32bit | NVIDIA

mobilenvidia

Hi there ^^

At first, sorry for my bad english. I come from germany, and so I've trying my best to explain my problem ;D I'm very pleased with the drivers here, and I have to thank the Nvision-Team for their good work.

Now, after all I have got only one Problem with my Nvidia 8400m gt (128mb) in my Sony Vaio Vgn nr22m/s. The games works with the driver super fast, better than with the old original driver, and the "ingamevideo - stretching" works also better. But the performance outside the game slowed critical down. I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium, with the latest drivers (v177.98). The Temperature of the GPU fell after the driver-install for 5-10 degrees (from 64° to 55°).

The slow part in my system is now Aero. Before the driver-install it worket very fast, but now I must activate Flip3d several times, to get aero to the old "fast" speed. After some seconds not using flip3d the speed goes down again.

In this process the temperature goes up to the old 64 degrees, and when aero slow down, the degrees fell again to 55°.

My supposition is now, that the driver clocks the GPU in the windows-operating-time down, and in the gaming-time up.

What can I do to fix this problem, can you please help me ^^

Edited by Dark Keitaro

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andrew55

• mobilenvidia

• Mushu

• Dark Keitaro

@Dark Keitaro: Try installing Windows Vista Update: KB955302 (only works if you have SP1 installed). Also try turning off PowerMizer:

Press Windows Logo + R and type regedit:

HLM/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Video/{unique id}/0000

1. PerfLevelSrc from 3333 to 3322

2. PowerMizerDefault from 3 to 1

3. PowerMizerEnable from 1 to 0

4. PowerMizerLevel from 3 to 1

5. PowerMizerAC to 1 (is already)

7. PowerSaverHsyncOn to 0

Edited by Shaythong

Are there any dangers, when I turn off the PowerMizer?

You will lose some battery life minutes when it's unplugged. You can revert the registry keys whenever you want back to the original at any time if there's a problem. If you keep your laptop plugged in most of the time or don't go on battery for a long time then everything would be okay. You should first find out if it fixes your GPU clock problem though. :)

Edited by Shaythong

Okay, I did it ^^

Now aero works fine. At least this driver has a bug, which changes the resolution of my screen... After every reboot, the resolution is 1024x768. But this problem doesn't appear in the 177.92 driver.

Thanks for the support, now I'm going to play some games :) (lol there's a german smiley here )

Edited by Dark Keitaro

Yay at least it works. About the resolution problem I don't have it. Maybe try setting the resolution in the Windows Display settings (Right click desktop > properties > display settings) and change it to 800x600 for example and go back to the one you want, then do that in the NVIDIA control panel only after you've done the Windows settings part. Hopefully that will help, but it's unlikely. :)

When I'm playing call of duty 4 or battlefield 2 my screen freezes sometimes, I have to get the task manager and then alt-tab back to the game and when I go back I have half the fps I'm supposed to have. Then I have to restart the computer in order to get my fps back, temps are ok, and sometimes I get a message that driver stopped working.

Any suggestions?

I play World of Warcraft with my GeForce 8700M GT.

174.74 or 177.98 please ?

I would go for 177.98, but remember to turn off nVidia purevideo if You will have problems with media player...

I cant find PerfLevelSrc in my registry, im in the proper folder, and even if i do an entire registry search it doesnt find this value, is it possible it would be under another name? This is weird because im just running an M1530 with 8600..

Every time I start windows, digital vibrance is put in 100 and is very annoying always be so. Any solution please. :)

A greeting and thank you very much !!!!!! :) :P

Hi all

Just a small stupid question.

I can t find my card on the list , nor on almost every list i ve checked...

I have the 7950 GTX

there are a lot of very close ones but not exactly this one.

Does it mean it won t work with my card ?

Thanks a lot for any answer, i really need to know

The list is for cards that will work with the regular .inf file. If your card is not on the list, you will have to download the modified inf file and replace the old one.

Guest Redwing19

I just tried to install this driver on my Dell Inspiron 1720 (Vista Home Premium 32). Unfortunately, after installation I loose Aero and am stuck with a max of 16 bit color. Any suggestion? I have been using the driver that came installed from Dell - looks like 175.97. My goal is to improve desktop/aero performance. I rarely play games on this machine.

When I try and OC with ntune with these drivers, my FPS in CoD4 drop to a much lower number then with stock settings, can anyone please explain why? :)

When I'm playing call of duty 4 or battlefield 2 my screen freezes sometimes, I have to get the task manager and then alt-tab back to the game and when I go back I have half the fps I'm supposed to have. Then I have to restart the computer in order to get my fps back, temps are ok, and sometimes I get a message that driver stopped working.

Any suggestions?

yes, you are overclocking too much.

this happend to me also when i overclocked too much.

after i put down the clocks it worked without this problem again.

Guest Portugeeza1

Hi all

I have problems with this driver and any thing passed 174.74.

The problem is when my laptop is not on AC the performance is very bad, but as soon as

I put in the AC then I dont have any problems, can some one look in to this please.

Hi all

I have problems with this driver and any thing passed 174.74.

The problem is when my laptop is not on AC the performance is very bad, but as soon as

I put in the AC then I dont have any problems, can some one look in to this please.

You might have your power plan set to high performance on AC and max. battery life when you unplug.

^^This, also if you are referring to degraded gpu performance, this is also to blame, along with powermizer's battery profile on some cards. Also, if you overclock you will not be able to see those settings take effect unless you plug in your laptop.

yes, you are overclocking too much.

this happend to me also when i overclocked too much.

after i put down the clocks it worked without this problem again.

I'm not overclocking at all! I'm using the default settings of my 8600m GT ddr2

anybody tried these with 8700M GT In crysis warhead? what settings can i max on with appropriate performance?

Hey i have tried updating to this nvidia driver multiple times and it just keeps completely shutting off my display so i have to start up in safe mode and roll back. I have done the whole modified inf thing right and opened the download correctly according to the instructions on this site (both have disk way and other way). I have tried this with several different drivers and keep getting the same results. I have a hp pavilion dv6000, geforce go 7200, vista 32bit, and 2046 MB RAM. Any recommendations? Am i downloading the best driver for my computer? Im kinda retarded when it comes to this stuff so any help would be awesome.

Thanks