LaptopVideo2Go Forums

9700M GT

Cain

I have the new ASUS G50Vm - A1 and it has the 9700M GT 512MB DDR3.

It is a very sweet card... but under any other installation of drivers other than stock its ending up being installed as a 9700M GS 512 MB DDR3 running at 400/800/600 speeds constant. I can't get a fix for it and I am not familiar with the INF modification process.

Any reason why other drivers are reporting it is a 9700M GS to windows and tweak utilities? The new RivaTuner 2.10 does a good job of recognizing it but only with the default drivers. I believe are 175.80.

I have looked at the actual card itself and it does say on the Serial sticker 9700GT.

I haven't contacted ASUS but what do I ask? I am installing third-party non-supported drivers and they are not functioning right, can you help me?

Any ideas for me?

Try installing a new driver without using the modified INF file

177.92 available here:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/2-frequently-asked-questions4

Use the 'have disk method"

Right click on My Computer and select Properties.

There you will see Device Manager on the left side under Tasks.

You can also access Device Manager via Control Panel -> Device Manager.

Find the device you want to install or update driver and double click on it.

Go to Driver tab and select Update Driver.

Select Browse my computer for driver software.

Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

Select Have Disk....

Select Browse....

Select the extracted driver folder.

You should now see name of your device if you have done the previous steps correct. Click Next to continue.

You can select the 9700 GT and not the 9700 GS

By chance how much did you pay for this. I am interested in a laptop with around these specs and the info would be great.

By chance how much did you pay for this. I am interested in a laptop with around these specs and the info would be great.

First of all Trinidad and Tobago is a sweet local. Secondly, this same laptop can be seen online for about 1200$-1450$(US) and they have a BestBuy one with slightly different features and no Bluetooth for about 1250$(US) (with tax). Considering the shipping, taxes, and all that good stuff, it comes to about 1500$ to 1600$(US). I had to go with the BestBuy anyways as there was a recall on the G1S - X1-X3's and thats what I had, the 8600M GT didn't get a proper cooling supply and so it would constantly degrade in performance with temperatures.

The 9700M GT preforms phenomenal. Its not a desktop but compared to other laptops its really sweet. Benchmarking it has the same scores as 2x 8600M GT in SLi.

I can run Crysis (with patches) I can run Medium at 1280 x 768 (no AA/4x AF) at about 35-65 FPS.

Everything else I own runs great.

I will try the Have Disk method... to be honest I completely forgot about that since Windows 98/ME.... lol I noobed myself.

Thanks for the info. Great price for those specs. An alienware with those specs was over $2500. I won't be buying the alienware now.

Thanks for the info. Great price for those specs. An alienware with those specs was over $2500. I won't be buying the alienware now.

No kidding, you are even given the Software to do a fresh reformat and it activates windows for you. It comes with the ability to do a total wipe with fresh install, or do a total wipe and install all the ASUS software. On this machine, the Asus software isn't actually bloat ware, it comes with software to overclock your GPU but if you dont' have installed its locked at default speeds.

It even comes with a 32-bit/64-bit complete driver download thats up to date of July 08.

Only downside is my memory, I have 4 GB PC5200 I think... but it supports up to 800MHz PC whatever it is.

However, check out this laptop. I personally do not like Gateway and I am an ASUS fanboy but holy shnike.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...;Sku=G180-17002

Edited by Cain

Very impressed with the asus though. Will try to save as much as possible to get it soon.

Okay heres the deal, I messaged Laptopvideo2go and I have pointed out that Have Disk Method has no installation file address in the INF for a 9700M GT. It has the GS and the GTS.

it doesnt.. ok cheers for pointing that out.. who did you message? Peiter aka mobilenvidia?

just add the device id and name into the INF file youself...

example:

under the following heading:

; Localizable Strings

NVIDIA = "NVIDIA"

;GPU's by www.laptopvideo2go.com

insert your device name and the device ID.

(device id can be taken from GPU-z) fee application.

example:

NVIDIA_G92.DEV_0612.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX"