Alienware M5500 video upgrade

alexg

Hey guys

I recently purchased a used Alienware M5500. here are the specs:

2 GIG Corsair DDR2

XP HOme sp2

geforce go 6600 256 vram

1.73 ghz pentium m 7400 dothan

I love this computer and love to game with it except I get a big laggy at times. I am currently playing Far Cry, UT 2004, Call of duty 4 and combat arms. I can play all of these games on medium specs except cod4 on low. they play pretty smooth but get laggy at times. I have been reading and I have seen 2 other people who have successfully upgraded the exact laptop that I have from the 6600 go to the 512mb 8600m gs. I was wondering of the 8600m gs would smooth out the frame rates and make my games play smoother. also how high of settings would I be able to go on my games. Lastly could my processor be the one to blame for the lag or is it the graphics card?

Thanks. (I sound like a noob but I am new to the laptop gaming world. I am an avid desktop gaming junkie :) (I understand about the mxm type 2 part of my laptop also)

P.S. Would an 8600 gt be worth the extra money for the performance that it delivers?

Edited by alexg

I am not sure about how to upgrade this computer, but I can tell you without a doubt the 8600m GT is worth the extra money over the 8600m GS. The GS is basically a 8400 with higher clocks, where the GT has a completely different (better) design.

Okay that sounds great. Would the 8600m gs be a really good upgrade over the 6600 go? also would an 8600m gt fit in my m5500. Could my pentium m be a culprit in my low fps play?

The 8600 GT is a good all round card.

-Supports DX 10

-PhysX and

-HD hardware video playback.

The 512 version is a good option, only if its DDR3 memory (make sure of that)

CPU processors dont factor much into game play... single core 1.7 Ghz should be fine for every game currently on the market

My 8600GT ran COD4 all high settings and AA @ x4 @ 28 FPS

So should be fine.

But if you use a desktop, why not just get an 8800GTX desktop card?

basically the GT is better

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphi...List.844.0.html

GT has almost double muscle compared to GS, but GS is clocked higher to narrow the gap.

GS will run all those games fine.

GT will run those games better than the GS.

Guest ChrisC007
how does the 8600m gs compare to the gt and will a gt fit in my laptop?

Alexg, if you upgrade, will you sell me your old 6600 - I too have an M5500 which I've built from bits - only thing missing is the nvidia card - currently using the onboard Intel Graphics :)

Thanks for all of the info guys. Chris, I would be glad to sell you the card. If you want to send me a pm, we can discuss the details privately.