LaptopVideo2Go Forums

9600M GT Overclocking :O

eXceed

Well got my Toshiba F50-10Z yesterday mid day and by the end of the day here I am already overclocking and tweaking, first of all the OS had to go and replaced with Vista x64 Ultimate. And then onto the tweaking!

First of all only run 3dmark06 because I think it would be pointless running Vantage or even 05.

I used nTune to first of all set a clock and then run a stability test to make sure it wouldn't crash.

Stock run was 400/400 core/mem posted a score of 4474

Second run was 500/500 core/mem (went up in increments but tested 3dmark at this speed), score of 5380

Third run was 600/500 core/mem, score of 5648

Fourth and final run tonight was 695/575 core/mem, score of 6035

My aim was 6000 but I think this thing can do more, I'd be happy relaxing the speeds slightly to find a happy medium. My next aim is to get this CPU to 3ghz, struggling to find a tool but I'll do it :) .

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• leshcat

• DextoR

• hasham

• Laptop2Rocket

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quick update, just stress testing at 760/1900/576 core/shader/mem. Will tweak memory and keep pushing core/shader load temp is 70oC max hovers around 68-9

A tool for cpu that i know of and use is called RightMark CPU Clock Utility, I was adviced to get this one from this forum, by some reliable poster. Good Luck.

just remember that 3Dmark is a benchmark tool only. The clock rates that you get, will crash and over heat during game play.

For reliability test for FPS in a game.

Example:

I can overclock to 650 and 950, but for game play my maximum is 590 and 900. My top 3Dmark of 6100-ish is pointless when its not stable in games. I use 3dmark, Games FPS, and video playback (VMR 7.0 & 9.0) to get a score (while not overclocking) to compare drivers. Then i choose the best one.

As UB313 suggested. RMclock is used to throttle the CPU to 100% constantly.

You can overclock your cpu, but only 0.2500 volts which for me, equates to 2578 Mhz instead of 2494 Mhz factory.

If you find any other tool let me know. cheers

Thanks for the replys everyone! Yeah I left it stress testing overnight and it seems to be alright :o, which is actually shocking to me! That is a damn nice score Laptop2Rocket , not quite sure how you managed it to be honest! :)

I'm going to give RMClock a try a bit later, I heard there is a tool called Intel Extreme Tuning Utility or something but I've not heard much about it :) . I'll keep you all updated and I have to beat 7000 now lol ^^

Quite an overclocker, seems that core is underclocked by default? (GPU-z) but still impressive figures. Use for example RivaTuner to control/log the temperatures and tell what you get with default clocks and what when overclocked.

Just got back to my laptop now, under load stock I get around 65oC so an increase of circa 6 degrees is acceptable.

And tell me about it being quite an overclocker! That's a massive leap on stock cooling in a laptop! It's an increase of +260/650/175 for core/shader/mem respectively! My watercooled HD2900 doesn't even get anywhere near those levels of overclock!

With memory how come yours laptop2rocket is showing as 961Mhz when mine shows as 400Mhz default and my overclocked 575Mhz seems to be maximum? Unless my core overclock is affecting my memory... or is your's just the double rate?

Been trying to push it further just now and I think I've found a happy medium of 730/1800/575 for extended gaming and performance runs. Going to start a new thread as and when I'm able to realistically overclock the CPU, no point if I can only overclock 100mhz or so..

EDIT - forgot 3dmark score at those speeds 6102 :)

Edited by eXceed

Exceed, it seems that you have a 9600m GT with GDDR2 (400 Mhz memory). My 9600m GT GDDR3 has a memory default clock of 800 Mhz (see the gpuz screen).

I'm using the ATiTool scan for artifacts at oc speed and high gpu temperature (max 78°C). Didn't notice any problems in games/3dmark so far.

Argh that sucks, hmm I guess my score is damn good then!

Hey! Greetings from Russian Empire! I am exited about your overclocking achievement and i would like to overclock my GPU as well. Can you tell me which programs(direct overclocking,testing,stressing) you were using while overclocking. My driver for now is 177.98.

I mean Ntune just wount work,it doesnt give me permission to Overclock. I blame 177.98 for that. Thats why i want to install 177.85 as Laptop2Rocket done.

Laptop2Rocket

And here is a question to you: how did you manage to install 177.85? I doesnt have M9600GT record...

Edited by leshcat

Hey man, it's actually a lot easier than I thought it would be! What I did was install nTune and rivatuner, rivatuner was used to monitor clocks and temperature and nTune to actually adjust the clock speed. There were some problems at first with blue screen crashes but that was ntune related. nTune has its own stress test but proper testing involved 3dmark on loop and counterstrike source benchmark to test different textures and stuff :) . And from there the sky is the limit mate :) .

Maybe try a slightly older driver

Edited by eXceed

I mean Ntune just wount work,it doesnt give me permission to Overclock. I blame 177.98 for that. Thats why i want to install 177.85 as Laptop2Rocket done.

Laptop2Rocket

And here is a question to you: how did you manage to install 177.85? I doesnt have M9600GT record...

Just google & download Nvidia 177.85 from XFastest, it doesn't need a modification and can be installed out-of-the-box. :)

eXceed

Hmm..i ve installed 177.85..but Ntune refused to change core\ram clocks. And RivaTuner 2.10 shows incorrect clocks: 400\800(shader block i suppose)\400.

Try this: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=20342 Worked for me to get ntune to overclock...

this method seems to be nice only when you know on whitch clocks you are going to go. I still dont know the ability of overclocking of my videocard :)

If need be then, use ATITool to scan for artifacts, and gradually raise the clocks, either using atitool, or using the ntune method.

If need be then, use ATITool to scan for artifacts, and gradually raise the clocks, either using atitool, or using the ntune method.

tried to use AtiTool. When i pushed button of auto raise GPU clock it said that my ram is overclocked. Ofcourse its not,usin 177.85 Xfastest,no optimizations or similar were done. I proceeded and the screen started to flash and then artifacts appeared...and then just black screen.

The Only utility that shows something normally is GPU-Z.

Edited by leshcat

tried to use AtiTool. When i pushed button of auto raise GPU clock it said that my ram is overclocked. Ofcourse its not,usin 177.85 Xfastest,no optimizations or similar were done. I proceeded and the screen started to flash and then artifacts appeared...and then just black screen.

I wouldn't use auto, too dangerous (i tried once and core clock went up like a rocket) :)

Edited by Laptop2Rocket

I wouldn't use auto, too dangerous (i tried once and core clock went up like a rocket) :P

ok...so i must move sliders of Core and Ram by myself? And if yes,how can i change shader clock by Atitool? :)

Just to make picture clear. Here is AtiTool screen:

atitoolql5.png

w566.png

And here is Rivatuner screen:

rivadc9.png

w384.png

And GPU-Z:

gpuzck3.png

w388.png

And it seems something VERY-VERY wrong here.java script:add_smilie(" :) ","smid_37")

Edited by leshcat

ok...so i must move sliders of Core and Ram by myself? And if yes,how can i change shader clock by Atitool? :)

It's linked with the core clock (same in ntune). You can see the shader clock with a tool like gpuz.

Just to make picture clear. Here is AtiTool screen:

LOL @ clocks... that's why ATiTool isn't working properly with latest Nvidia 177. Rivatuner isn't working at all for me. I recommend to use ntune for oc and AtiTool (only) for artifact searching. :)

Edited by Laptop2Rocket

LOL @ clocks... that's why ATiTool isn't working properly with latest Nvidia 177. Rivatuner isn't working at all for me. I recommend to use ntune for oc and AtiTool (only) for artifact searching. :)

Thats what i am trying to say, on 177.79,177,85 there is no responce on changing clocks in Ntune! Its kind BUggy...Version of Ntune is 5.05.25.00.

Here is pic:

ntunepn1.png

w588.png

Edited by leshcat