LaptopVideo2Go Forums

BSOD with Geforce 7150m

Squirle

I have an HPdv6915nr that I bought only a few weeks ago. In that short time I've gotten one BSOD, another unexplained event when the screen went crazy and started changing color from black to white, to cyan, blue and so on in a loop, and another when I got a bunch of squiggly lines over the screen. The first two events happened as I was using the integrated webcam and at the same time tried to open another window. These two events generated an error in Vistas Problem Reports and Solutions. The third occasion didn't and this happened as I double clicked an AVI-file. It was trying to open in WMP11 when things went bad and the whole thing started flickering before I got those vertical lines neatly spaced on my screen. So according to Vistas Problem report there was a problem with the NVidia driver and that I should try to install new drivers. Well I couldn't find any on either Nvidia or HP's web sites so now I have no idea what to do next. I've been reading and searching on the forum here but I can't seem to find any solution to this specific problem. :)

Is there another driver I can use? I'm not a computer genius in any way, but I managed to maintain my old HP with XP pretty well. You just have to talk to me like I'm a bit slow :)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Squirle

I would definitely recommend updating the drivers. I would try the latest version (177.98) first, but some people also have good luck with older versions (158.xx, I think.) And upgrading to XP might not be such a bad idea, either.

yeah he is right , it seems to be a sw problem , by the way be sure to completely uninstall the drivers using some driver cleaner sw.

post if the this doesn't help.

Edited by gevo

Yeah I've been contemplating installing XP instead but I kinda like the way Vista looks (yes I know, I'm shallow :) ). But if that's the only way to get the computer to work properly I will have to do it.

I'm going to try that other driver you suggested mr Marley. Hope I can figure out how to do it. It looks so scary for someone who's only used to "real" drivers, mostly updating themselves :) .

Any suggestions on a good, free, driver cleaner? I've never used one.

Thank you for your answers.

Oh and somewhere on this forum I saw someone suggest to set the video memory to 128 MB instead of 64 MB. Is that something I should do? Think it was someone having problems with games so not exactly related to my issue.

Yeah I've been contemplating installing XP instead but I kinda like the way Vista looks (yes I know, I'm shallow :P ). But if that's the only way to get the computer to work properly I will have to do it.

I'm going to try that other driver you suggested mr Marley. Hope I can figure out how to do it. It looks so scary for someone who's only used to "real" drivers, mostly updating themselves :) .

Any suggestions on a good, free, driver cleaner? I've never used one.

Thank you for your answers.

Oh and somewhere on this forum I saw someone suggest to set the video memory to 128 MB instead of 64 MB. Is that something I should do? Think it was someone having problems with games so not exactly related to my issue.

one driver cleaner i know is called Driversweeper(downloadable form Guru3d) & one that was freeware and now is shareware (but you can find the old version googling it) is called Drivercleaner PRO. Genereally they all have a little guide with them, but the procedure is simple :

1) uninstall the driver the normal way(comtrol panel\add remove programs)

2)restart & enter in safe mode, run the driver cleaning program , restart again

3) login in normal mode & install the new ones, that's it

setting the video mem to 128 depends on you RAM, because the gpu takes the memory from RAM, if you have enough ram , you can try that also.

bye :)

Edited by gevo

one driver cleaner i know is called Driversweeper(downloadable form Guru3d) & one that was freeware and now is shareware (but you can find the old version googling it) is called Drivercleaner PRO. Genereally they all have a little guide with them, but the procedure is simple :

1) uninstall the driver the normal way(comtrol panel\add remove programs)

2)restart & enter in safe mode, run the driver cleaning program , restart again

3) login in normal mode & install the new ones, that's it

setting the video mem to 128 depends on you RAM, because the gpu takes the memory from RAM, if you have enough ram , you can try that also.

bye :P

Thank you for all the info!

I have 3GB memory so I will try to do that fix too then.

One thing I was thinking about, (please don't laugh at my ignorance :) ) but if I uninstall the video driver how the heck does the computer show the video (screen)??? :)

Now I'm actually thinking of trying to learn to use Linux instead. Been trying for years but never had enough time to really get started. But yesterday I was suggested to use Ubuntu from CD and it sounded so easy. Yay! Maybe that's easier than finding all necessary drivers for this computer to install XP. On the the HP help site it sounds next to impossible to "down"grade a comp built for Vista to XP because of the drivers.